INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Compilation Tag  (Read 4323 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
iPod Compilation Tag
« on: January 06, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

Anyone know what tag iTunes uses to determine if a track is a compilation?

I know how MC handles it, but I'm trying to figure out how to use MC to tag tracks so iTunes will also recognize them as compilations.

trott

• World Citizen
Re: iPod Compilation Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:02:02 am »

You need to add a tag called ITUNESCOMPILATION with a value of 0 or 1.
Since itunes version 7, you can also use the ALBUMARTIST tag. (so, not 'album artist' but 'albumartist')
The difference in functionality between the two is not entirely clear to me, so I only use albumartist when there really is an artist to put there (and even then I also set the itunescompilation tag). In all other cases, the itunescompilation tag it is.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:59:14 am »

I must be doing something wrong.  I added the tag itunescompilation in MC.  When I add this tag to my custom views, nothing shows up.  I have ~2000 tracks where I know this is filled in.  I tagged those directly in iTunes.  I added the tag using User Library Fields.  Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Also, if you manage tags within MC, how do you keep the iTunes library in sync?  They do not have any basic features that I can find such as monitor folders, update for external changes, fix broken links, etc.  So periodically I delete the iTunes library and re-import everything.  Maybe this is all that can be done.

Thanks for your help.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:03:42 am »

I am using the MC12 beta and the compilation tag works fine.  However, I use Tag & Rename to set that tag, I don't think that there is an option in MC to set it.  However, if the tag is set right, when MC syncs the files to the ipod, the compilation feature works as expected.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:19:18 pm »

I am using the MC12 beta and the compilation tag works fine.  However, I use Tag & Rename to set that tag, I don't think that there is an option in MC to set it.  However, if the tag is set right, when MC syncs the files to the ipod, the compilation feature works as expected.

I have no problems with compilations in MC.  They work exactly as I expect, and exactly the same way they would be if it was managed by iTunes.  But I still cannot see the compilation tag in MC.  I do not clearly understand how you are managing the tag.

Based on my understanding, MC mimics the behavior of iTunes.  At the iPod level, everything is the same, but it is not using the iTunes compilation tag.  The driver tag in MC is the Mix Album tag.  The Mix Album Tag is a read only tag managed by MC.  MC sets this tag based on the following condition; you have all of your tracks for an album in a single folder, and you have multiple artists for the tracks on that album.  In this situation, MC sets the Mix Album tag and considers it a compilation and will update the iPod database correctly when you do a sync.

When you manage your library in iTunes (which of course no one really wants to do), there is a tag to indicate if the tracks on an album are part of a compilation.  This tag is not the Mix Album tag that MC uses.

If everything is set up correctly in MC, the iPod will understand the compilations, but when iTunes looks at the same tracks, the compilation tag may not be set.  So if you sync from MC, the compilations work correctly.  When you sync from iTunes, the compilations are not treated correctly.  You can set the tag in iTunes, but then you are managing the tags in 2 places.

So if you have compilations working correctly in iTunes.  The compilation tag has been set in iTunes (either automatically or my manually updating the tag). If you have compilations working correctly with MC, it is because MC automatically detected that these tracks are part of a compilation.  Not because the compilation tag was set in iTunes.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:05:59 pm »

I use tag & rename to manage all of my tags.  http://www.softpointer.com

It's industrial strength.

SwellGuy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 08:33:04 am »

Currently, we don't use a 'tag' to determine if a track is part of a compilation it's done with the following logic.

An album is considered to be a mixed album (our legacy term for compilations) by MC if the tracks are located in the same physical folder, have the same album name and have different artist names. To see if MC views a track as a member of a mixed album you can show the 'Mix Album' field (read-only) in your views.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:49:01 pm »

Since itunes version 7, you can also use the ALBUMARTIST tag. (so, not 'album artist' but 'albumartist')
The difference in functionality between the two is not entirely clear to me, so I only use albumartist when there really is an artist to put there (and even then I also set the itunescompilation tag). In all other cases, the itunescompilation tag it is.

This actually did the trick... it looks like the ITunesCompilation filed did the trick since once set, even if I blank the value of 1 it will still sync as a compilation to the ipod from MC.

Is there a way to run a formula such as "if Mix Album type=1 then  ITunesCompilation=0" ?

Thanks in advance

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:07 pm »

The funny\interesting part is that once the Ipod sees the CD as a compilation using this method, I cannot bring it back to NOT being a compilation (in case a mistake was made etc).

I've removed the cd, changed the field to blank or 0 and the cd still comes back as a compilation...

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 04:29:05 pm »

olarte, try http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/  :)...it's the best tool for fast editing on the ipod
MT5FR

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 10:43:35 am »

olarte, try http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/  :)...it's the best tool for fast editing on the ipod

Wow, thanks for this tip. Floola rules. So far it is absolutely amazing.... a bit light on documentation but excellent overall!.

That along with the FMpeg converter that floola can install automatically it makes it perfect for youtube videos.

Also, excellent for checking\unchecking the compilation tags. Even if I fix them in MC, I don't have to remove\add them on the ipod but edit them directly.

Thanks again for  the tip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up