INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control network media players  (Read 1344 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Remote control network media players
« on: November 18, 2006, 08:18:16 am »

I am searching for a software that is able to control my media player Terratec Noxon 2. So far, I only found CIDERO which seems to be the only acceptable software.

Now I ask myself if there are plans for such developments for MC - maybe as plug-in? Isn't this an area with much potential?

The MC UPnP Server works fine with Noxon 2 meanwhile. But how can it work the other way round? How can I control the playback for my stereo using MC? I don't want to use a cable connection so I bought the streaming client Noxon. But  MC doesn't offer me to play music using the noxon as transmitter.

Any ideas?

tuxster

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Remote control network media players
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:35:29 pm »

I would be interested in this feature as well. I'm using a D-Link DSM-520.

I noticed that a similar request was also filed in at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37138.0

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:04:08 pm »

I'm curious, why do you want to do this?

Media Center is a music organizer - you organize your music on it, then send it to wherever you need it (like a UPnP device).
Why would you use it as a remote device, playing music organized elsewhere?

j

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 04:57:56 am »

@John:
Well, sending music to a Streaming Client is like using a different Zone, a different soundcard for output.
You could ask why people want that as well then.

I think this could be a nice feature. I'd like to be able to push music to my Roku Soundbridge.

tuxster

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:18:10 pm »

Hi John:

I think you misunderstand Chris's request and mine.  With a media receiver, you can play files one of two ways:

1) You start the uPnP server, then turn on your TV (if the media receiver works through the TV) or the receiver's display, and using the remote control of your media receiver you navigate through the menus of your uPnP software (i.e. MediaCenter) and choose the songs/playlists/albums, etc. you want.

2) You actually use a Media Controller, like CIDERO, so that you queue up your playlist and your songs from your computer and start them to play on the media receiver. This way, you do not need to turn on your tv, or to have the remote controller for your media receiver available.

Therefore, if MediaCenter were to support the functions CIDERO did and be able to queue up music to the media receiver, you would simply use your computer to select the songs you want to play and simply send that information to the media receiver. The songs you are organizing and selecting are what is in the library of the MediaCenter, not elsewhere. So in essence it would "push" the music to the media receiver, instead of the current way of having to "pull" the music from MediaCenter using the media receiver.

Was I able to explain the concept? 

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:08:21 am »

Yes, thanks. I did misinterpret. I haven't looked much at doing the UPnP Control stuff, but I'll take a look.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up