INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: National characters in FLAC tag don’t work in MC 12  (Read 1806 times)

mhakman

• World Citizen
National characters in FLAC tag don’t work in MC 12
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:26:47 am »

National characters in FLAC tag don’t work in MC 12. In MC 11 this is working ok now – thanks Scot! Here is what happens:

A FLAC file without album name tag is imported into MC 11. Album name containing national characters is entered in MC and then the tag is updated. When the file is imported into another MC 11 then the album name appears correctly in MC. When importing into MC 12 the album name is blank. Latest versions of everything are used.

Thanks/Mikael

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: National characters in FLAC tag don’t work in MC 12
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:47:30 pm »

National characters in FLAC tag don’t work in MC 12. In MC 11 this is working ok now – thanks Scot! Here is what happens:

A FLAC file without album name tag is imported into MC 11. Album name containing national characters is entered in MC and then the tag is updated. When the file is imported into another MC 11 then the album name appears correctly in MC. When importing into MC 12 the album name is blank. Latest versions of everything are used.

Can you copy-and-paste the string here for me?  In all of my testing, I've been unable to find one that hasn't worked correctly.

It is possible that due to my varied efforts to make it work, it's actually incompatible between plugin versions.  If you start fresh from version 12 (plugin 2.1.1+), does it still do the same thing?

Thanks!

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:29:58 am »

Many thanks Scot for taking the time. Here are the results of my experiments:

1.   A .WAV file is imported into an empty MC 12 library. The file doesn’t contain any attributes (no tag). Its file name contain some national characters (small case Swedish “a” with a ring over it and “o” with 2 dots over it). The file name starts with track number followed by space-dash-space. In MC the file automatically gets a name that equals file name. Swedish characters are ok. If this forum does right then the file name and MC name is:

10 - Hanna från Arlöv.flac

The rest of MC fields are blank.

2.   Then I edit Name, Artist, Album, Genre, Track#, and Date in MC. Album contains another Swedish character (an “a” with 2 dots over it). The album name is:

Livet är en fest

I do a “Rename file from fields” specifying [Artist]/[Album] as directory and [Track#] – [Name] as file name. This works ok.

3.   Still in MC 12 I convert file format to FLAC and analyze audio to get replay gain.

4.   Before adding a cover image I specify image location in MC options to “Next to file [Artist] – [Album]” and select “Store images in tags also”. Then I add an image to the file. The image is shown correctly in MC and MC copies it both to the directory and to the tag. Very good. ;D

5.   At last I do “Update tags from library”. Then I check the file using a Hexplorer utility (a hex dump tool). Everything except YEAR appears to be ok in file tag.  Name, Artist, Album, Genre, and Track# are as specified in MC including the Swedish characters. Even the cover image is there. However the YEAR attribute is wrong, instead of saying 1974/01/01 it says 1899/12/30.

6.   Now I import the file into a new and empty MC 12 library. The results are not correct:
6.1   Name is now “[TRACKNUMBER] – [TITLE]” instead of [TITLE]
6.2   Album is empty instead of [ALBUM]
6.3   Date is empty instead of [YEAR], which would be wrong too.

7.   Artist, Genre, and Track# is ok.

8.   Even the cover image is loaded from FLAC file correctly – very good! ;D

9.   Then, still in MC 12, I “remove cover image” and “update tags from library”. This updates FLAC file attributes to those shown by MC, i.e. to wrong values but it doesn’t remove the image from the file. The image disappears from MC but the next time I import the same file (into a new empty library) I get the image again.

Thanks/Mikael

scthom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:03:49 am »

You are correct.  Thanks for finding it!  There was a bug in the Unicode processing.  I was incorrectly using the flac get_field_value_length function (number of bytes) instead of the number of wide characters in the ReleaseBuffer function inside GetAttribute.

The result is that the plugin would crash and MC would default to using the file name for the name and wouldn't get any tags for some entries.

There is a new flac Decoder plugin 2.1.3 available on http://mcplugins.sourceforge.net.

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:31:08 am »

Thanks for the new decoder Scot! National characters, year, and image are now working in MC 12. Image stored in FLAC file is not removed by “Remove Cover Art” in MC. Maybe that is by design. When a file prepared in MC 12 as described above is imported into MC 11, everything except embedded cover art image is working too.

There are some problems with plug-in installation using supplied MJP files when you have both MC 11 and MC 12 on the same machine. Once plug-ins for MC 12 are installed, these are also installed for MC 11 but aren't working there. If you then try to install plug-ins for MC 11, you get “invalid plug-in version 1, version 2 required” error. However, removing both encoder and decoder plug-ins from both MC 11 and MC 12 (MC uninstall plug-in) and then installing right versions manually solves the problem. It would be useful to have DLL file names include version number, e.g. In_FLAC_2.1.3.dll.

Thanks/Mikael

scthom

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27:17 pm »

Image files are not supported by the Version 1 plugins, so they won't work with MC 11.

DLL filenames were not included because, originally, I worked from the same format that JRiver had used (which had no version info).

The new XML format for mjp files may allow me to tailor the plugins for particular installations, but I need to look into it.  Each plugin (v1 or v2) installs itself in the appropriate registry (MC 11 or MC 12) so they may seem to be installed correctly but may not be.

Remove cover art does not interact with the plugins -- it only dis-associates the image file in the library.  In order to remove cover art from the file, you have to Remove Cover Art and then update tags from library.  This writes an empty string to the tag and the plugin interprets that as an instruction to remove the cover art from the file.  Note there is a setting that allows this command to also remove all images from the flac file, or just the cover art block.
Pages: [1]   Go Up