INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Resizing  (Read 1273 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Cover Art Resizing
« on: January 17, 2007, 04:44:52 pm »

In MTP mode, does Media Center resize cover art?  In syncing to my Sansa, I'm thinking Media Center does not resize the cover art.  My cover art averages close to 2MB apiece and I really want it downsized to save space and CPU cycles on my device.  I adjusted the image conversion to 320x240 but this doesn't appear to resize cover art.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Cover Art Resizing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:54:42 pm »

Even for those with lower quality cover art, resizing it would be very beneficial.

After taking the average 500x500 piece of cover art from Amazon, I noted that it came in at around 45 KB.  After resizing it to 320x320 (and most players would be fine with 240x240), I got the size down to around 17 KB.  That is a minuscule difference of 28 KB.  Now take that an multiply it by 2,000 for the average 8GB player.  You end up saving close to 60MB!  That doesn't seem like a ton but for those on the brink of filling their device, that can be another 14 songs--an entire CD.

Now take me who has cover art averaging 1.5 MB.  With a savings of more than 1,400 KB times 2,000 songs, I would save 2.8 GB if I were able to get 2,000 songs on it.

As you can see, cover art can really eat up the space.  It seems like a simple checkbox or drop down either in the conversion section (of handheld sync) or right below the checkbox saying to add cover art if able to.

My last hope if this can't be done is if LAME has some built in resizer.  It appears definite that the cover art is stored inside the MP3 files so perhaps the LAME encoder could have a command line option to resize art to some specific width or height.

My Sansa fills up way too quickly with so much cover art!  Since each song stores the cover art, it can really add up, especially for albums with a lot of songs because the same cover art is stored in each song.
Pages: [1]   Go Up