INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music database lookup (YADB) funnies  (Read 2715 times)

Mitch Sowden

• Recent member
Music database lookup (YADB) funnies
« on: January 12, 2007, 05:36:51 am »

I have taken the decision to move to APE and am therefore ripping all my Cds again... :( (Beware those that have "safely filed your CDs away in storage - I have several bad Cds due to moisture I think... Another good reason to go to lossless)

Anyhow just thought I would give feedback on "strange" issues I am seeing with MC 12 and YADB... I have had many (say 30?) previously ripped CDs prompt me to fill in their details. Now these CDs were previously ripped and also a significant number are very popular - eg today when getting through my Pink Floyd collection I had to submit "The Final Cut" and "Wish you were her"!!! I made sure I was not having network problems - the message clearly is "Not found in data base or something similar" I also was amazed to see some very obscure west African and Arabic music being found no problem (most of which I know I would have submitted about 1 to 2 years ago) So the problem seems to be random loss of data in YADB? Are there any other theories - maybe my mouldy CDs?

Anyhow , just thought to mention in case it alerts to a potential problem in the system...

On another MC 12 feedback topic I see quite often a repeatable problem where MC "hangs" on the "working" dialog - often looking up from CD database or ripping. Every thing else works (eg ongoing ripping and playback) and I have to kill MC in task manager and then fire it up again - it squeals then and runs in a default mode...

Hope that's useful - keep up the good work & especially big thanks to Matt / MC for the great integration between APE & MC! Well done!

mitch

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Music database lookup (YADB) funnies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:15:02 am »

YADB won't return results for me if the CD contains a data track. Happens every time. Also, if there is a data track, MC won't import the info from the cdplayer.ini after the info has been exported there from EAC. MC will import from cdplayer.ini if there is no data track. The thing is, this is 100% consistent with MC/my computer.  This was discussed on the board recently, I don't know if anything was resolved.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:15:11 am »

Mitch -I'm checking.

Mhorton - what version of MC are you using?

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 02:06:19 pm »

Mitch - I need the time, as close as you can remember it, when the CD lookup failed.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:17:40 pm »

I found one entry that failed for you. It had 12 tracks, and the first few track lengths are 4:22, 5:10, 4:41, 4:14...

When I saw that it was 12 tracks, I thought it might be "The Final Cut", but the track lengths are all wrong.
You did look it up 3 times: 6:06am, and twice at 6:15am (all times Central Standard Time).  Any idea what that
one was?

Let me know, thanks...

j

Michael Horton

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:27:06 pm »

I'm using Media Center 12.0.139, but I don't remember at what point the problem started. I don't think I had this problem in MC11.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 06:32:15 pm »

Try a disc that fails, note the time, and let me know here. I'll see what's going on.

j

Michael Horton

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:03 pm »

Will do.

Mitch Sowden

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22:14 am »

Hi John,

I don't need you to do anything for me but if it helps I will post the times here as I go when I get an unusual failure. (I still have loads to go... :( ) I am at GMT+2 (south Africa) so most times will not be convenient for "real-time" chat so will simply post name of album and my time GMT+2 - OK?

Cheers,

Mitch
PS I can't remember the specific times so won't try to guess now but they were all old
"classic Pink Floyd" Cds

Mitch Sowden

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 02:27:42 am »

John, here's 2 I know I have done before - times were about 10min ago so that's GMT+2 10:15am

Soul Rebels - Bob Marley & the Wailers - CD not found
Gimme some volume - Brenda Fassie - CD was found but no track info just album so I updated and submitted

Will keep you posted until you tell me to stop! :)

Mitch Sowden

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 02:46:47 am »

Lock up your daughters - Billy the Kid 10:40 am GMT +2
Also noticed that I always get back (after submitting the tracks) 0 new files added to YADB... Like they were there all the time!

Mitch Sowden

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 10:45:54 am »

Union - Toni Childs 1842pm GMT + 2

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:57:31 pm »

Soul Rebels - Bob Marley & the Wailers - CD not found

According to Barnes and Noble, this CD had 22 tracks, and I couldn't find a lookup that failed in that time period with 22 tracks.
Can you verify that yours is the same one? Maybe a different version that has a different number of bonus tracks?

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:58:46 pm »

Gimme some volume - Brenda Fassie - CD was found but no track info just album so I updated and submitted

I can think of an explanation for this one, it's complicated, but involves the recent change in algorithm.
Sorry, and thanks for the update.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:11 pm »

Lock up your daughters - Billy the Kid 10:40 am GMT +2
Also noticed that I always get back (after submitting the tracks) 0 new files added to YADB... Like they were there all the time!

This one was not in YADB before you submitted it (I am talking about the CD, not the individual tracks).
Are you sure you submitted it before? I'm guessing it is somewhat rare, it's not available on Barnes and Noble.

The "0 new files added" message is from individual track submission, not CD submission.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 09:10:27 pm »

Union - Toni Childs 1842pm GMT + 2

Thanks! This one helps. The lookup should have succeeded, but didn't. I'm not sure why, but I'll figure it out when I get back in the office tuesday.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 04:08:38 pm »

Okay, fixed now. The problem was everything matched except the last track, which was 3.1 seconds off. Unfortunately I chose a threshold of 3 seconds.

Let me know about future troubles.

j

Mitch Sowden

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 01:17:59 am »

Thanks John, I haven't been monitoring this week but I will be ripping again this weekend and will continue to post any oddities here - Cheers, Mitch
Pages: [1]   Go Up