INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Rating Query: Need help from one of you MC12 Guru's  (Read 1139 times)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Album Rating Query: Need help from one of you MC12 Guru's
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:42:23 pm »

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish.  When I listen to music, I like to listen to the entire album to hear tracks in the context the artist intended (at least the good ones).  I'd like to create a Smartlist filter, by Genre, for transferring whole albums to my iPod - based on the average track rating level.  Since I only rip whole albums, I'd like to be able to specify two variables (percentage of tracks rated, and average track rating of those tracks rated) in my query, that I could go in and modify from time-to-time.

To clarify, I've created the following example:

find all jazz albums with more than 80% of the tracks rated, where the average rating on rated tracks is greater than 3.4 - then give me all the tracks in those albums.

After the query is working, I might like to refine it to only give me full albums where 90% or more of the tracks are rated, and the average rating is greater than 4.1.  You get the picture.

How might I accomplish this task using MC12?  And yes, I did search, but couldn't find anything that answered what I wanted to know.

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Album Rating Query: Need help from one of you MC12 Guru's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »

There is no way to calculate averages in MC atm. I created a custom field called Album rating where i enter these averages manually. Its not too hard if you do it as you import albums, if you have many albums already then it might get a bit tedious, also you will have to train yourself to update this value when you change even a single track rating for any album.

If you are prepared to do that, then it might be possible to create a smartlist that will do what you want.

Be sure that averages (besides other calculations) is one of those long time requests and if we are lucky it might make an appearance in MC12.

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:44:46 am »

Thanks for the info.  Guess the reason I couldn't find out how to do it is that it can't yet be done!  As far as manually rating entire albums - I guess I could go do that...but I've got over 1,000 full albums and don't relish the repetitive labor represented by this proposition.  Hell, all of the individual tracks are already rated.

I'll play the waiting game and see if any future MC releases address this topic.

M
THAT's what I'm talking about.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:17:58 am »

Sure, its a but tedious, but then there must be an incentive.

For me an album rating gives a good indicator at a glance what i thought the last time i heard the album. Very easy to get album best of's by yr, artist, label, genre, etc with viewschemes & panes. So i started on this path a few yrs back as it did not look promising that averages would be implemented at the time.

Now you could just as easily use descriptive terms for an album too, the effect is close to averages (maybe less work but not as granular for me). After you do a few, you can almost guess the avg, given # of tracks and the ratings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up