INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux Raid5  (Read 1220 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Ubuntu Linux Raid5
« on: January 21, 2007, 04:31:59 pm »

All this media is filling my drives.  I'm currently in the process of getting as much data backed up onto random hard drives around the house so I can destroy my two arrays and create a fresh, 10-drive (500GB's each) RAID5 array in Ubuntu Server edition.  This will provide close to twice the space I have now and that equates to over 300 movies.

Has anyone else had any experience with Ubuntu's RAID5 server?  I wanted to use FreeNAS really badly but it doesn't support my SATA cards I bought.  My case holds 4 HDDs, 2 3.5" external, & 4 5.25" external...so it will hold all 10 drives.  But, I need another drive for Ubuntu.  I also want to see if I can add 2-5 more, smaller drives.  If I can somehow secure them inside the case, they will be easy to hookup via PATA.  They would be utilized purely for data backup from the RAID5 array.

I bet this will really speed things up compared to my USB raid setup.  It will be interesting to see how things go.  I've read a lot of info on setting it all up but nothing proves it right until I actually get it working.  The necessary parts (cards, cables, etc.) will arrive early next week.  It's going to be scary when I have all my data spread out around the house.  I just finished burning the most important data to DVDs just in case.

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ubuntu Linux Raid5
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:05:42 pm »

download a program called 'mirc' - join any efnet server and type   /join #ubuntu

ask in there - it's a chat room full of people interested in ubuntu
Pages: [1]   Go Up