INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 72 hour MP3 shows duration as LIVE  (Read 1352 times)

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
72 hour MP3 shows duration as LIVE
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:53:57 pm »

I have a 7GB MP3 file that's 72 hours 8 minutes long. When I open it in MC 12.0.154, the file duration shows as "Live" and I can not move the progress meter to skip to other parts of the track.

If I drop the same file into Windows Media Player 11, it shows me the duration and I can skip around within the file. Skipping around within the file is critical for a file this size. The moment I hit "stop", I have to listen to the track from the beginning again.

Incidentally, I created this file by recording a weekend of Sirius on my computer using an FM tuner card.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 72 hour MP3 shows duration as LIVE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:21:25 am »

72 hours for one mp3 -- I shudder to think how long the dance version must be.

One possibility would be that MC assumes that mp3s will never be this long -- i.e. that 72 hours goes beyond some sort of limit since this is most likely a very rare situation (even though WMP is able to handle it.)  Do you have any files you could test that are perhaps half that long?  I'd be curious to see where the limit is.

Larry

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 05:58:19 am »

I shudder to think how long the dance version must be.

It was Prob A Professor Talking To His Class, They Sometimes Seem To Ramble On And On.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:21:17 am »

One possibility would be that MC assumes that mp3s will never be this long -- i.e. that 72 hours goes beyond some sort of limit since this is most likely a very rare situation (even though WMP is able to handle it.)  Do you have any files you could test that are perhaps half that long?  I'd be curious to see where the limit is.

I have another MP3 that's 21 hours which also shows as "LIVE." A third one that's 9 hours 28 minutes does NOT show as live, and displays the correct duration. So the answer is that somewhere those two lengths.

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:28:25 am »

It was Prob A Professor Talking To His Class, They Sometimes Seem To Ramble On And On.

Actually, it was Howard Stern over the Labor Day weekend. He played a weekend of his best bits from the last 20+ years. I was out of town that weekend so I set up my computer to record the whole event. I was happy to see that it did in fact record it and surprised that it created a 7GB file. It was too bad that I couldn't play back the file and seek within it using MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up