INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images: sharing Album names and other tags into other applications  (Read 1624 times)

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo

To those who are using MC for images extensively....

I would like to have an image tagging workflow that works in MC but also in some respect works in other apps too.

To date, I have been mostly tagging in MC, I have  used Album for most images, and often use Subject, People, Things and of course Ratings.

I am considering using an outboart photo manager, like iMatch, to do tagging, with the thinking that I could use that tool to tag IPTC tags and then have them picked up in MC for use.

The opposite approach, using MC as the original tagger, does not seem to work as well though because I don't think Subject, People, Things, and Ratings get mapped to any IPTC fields.  Is there someway to have those MC fields show up into IPTC?

While I appreciate the power of MC's tagging system, I would like it stored in a format more readable by other apps.

Thoughts?

RobOK

RobOK

Re: Images: sharing Album names and other tags into other applications
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:49:31 pm »

I know I'm not getting a lot of love in this thread, but does anyone use other programs and MC in any interchangeable ways?

I have a whole bunch of Jpegs that are MC tagged, but not IPTC.  I am starting to move towards using other image processing software (maybe Elements, maybe Adobe Lightroom) which can easily add IPTC, but not really in a way that MC can pick up and translate into Albums, Subjects, People, etc.

Should I just convert all my seperate MC columns into one keywords column and go with that?  I thought I read somewhere that Matt was doing something like this, but it seems like that gives up a lot of flexibility.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:35:44 pm »

Unfortunately IPTC is quite limited.  It's why we made our own simple XML-based JPEG tagging system.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RobOK

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:16:36 pm »

I know, i know.....  i want the power of MC tagging smushed into IPTC tags!

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:27:57 am »

Unfortunately IPTC is quite limited.  It's why we made our own simple XML-based JPEG tagging system.

Matt, where is this information stored, in the JPG itself?  Is there a reason why this XML-based tagging isn't done for other image formats?

Reason I ask is I'm still trying to figure out how to get all my Elements Organizer information out and into MC, and they're not all JPG's.
Jeff

RobOK

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 07:36:09 am »

For JPGs the data is stored in the JPG itself.  In the tag window you can click on the Format field to see the actual EXIF, IPTC and other information stored in the file itself.  Matt would have to answer with regard to other formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up