INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7 hours until VISTA  (Read 9396 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
7 hours until VISTA
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:01:56 pm »

How many of you guys are going to order Vista?  I would like to order a copy for my computer but am not sure which version I should buy?  What does the upgrade version require to get the better price?  I would want to do a fresh copy.  Does it then do what older versions of Windows did where it asks for a windows disc?

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
Re: 7 hours until VISTA
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:30:57 pm »

How many of you guys are going to order Vista?  I would like to order a copy for my computer but am not sure which version I should buy?  What does the upgrade version require to get the better price?  I would want to do a fresh copy.  Does it then do what older versions of Windows did where it asks for a windows disc?

What I have heard on web sites is the upgrade version is different then the XP upgrade version. The vista upgrade will only let you do a upgrade not a clean install. You need to buy the full version to do a clean install. Check Newegg.com. They have some good deals on new hard drives and other computer upgrades so you can go the OEM route. $119.oo for the Home Premium.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:34:41 pm »

How many of you guys are going to order Vista?

My Computer Works Fine...

Don't See A Need Right Now.

What Users Should Ask Is "What Will Moving To Vista Do For Me?"

For Right Now I See No Advantage.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

johnnyboy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:57 pm »

Vista is out here already ;)

I'd say at a guess you'd want at least Home Premium although the business ones are probably better overall solutions.

Also, from what I've seen, cheapest way to get Vista is as an Upgrade if you have XP, if you dont have it you can still go out and buy a copy of it cheap somewhere AND THEN buy the upgrade to Vista and still save money AND end up with a full license for both!

I've tried Vista and really was not at all impressed with it to be honest - really not worth the huge amount for a full license.
Buy a copy of Window Blinds 5 and there you have prettier than Vista AND less resource hungry leaving you with a faster overall system ;)

Buy the full stardocks suite and you'll have a FAR prettier and fancier GUI and your whole system will be alot better running in terms of:

1) Software and Driver compatibility
2) Vista running by itself =600Mb+ of RAM wasted for OS, XP by itself = say 300Mb (uses less than that) = 400Mb spare RAM for apps on a 1Gb machine with Vista Vs 700Mb spare RAM on XP.
3) Save yourself a fortune

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:35:26 pm »

On Newegg, it's looking like $124.99 for an OEM Vista Home Premium license.  I just think I should have one copy of Vista so I can "experience" it (lol...buzz words).  I would order immediately but feel like there may be restrictions that I don't really know about yet...like you mentioning you have to upgrade from an install of an OS if you buy the upgrade version.  I don't like installing on top of another version of the OS ever so I don't want that.  Besides, that OEM copy looks to be the full copy.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:28:04 pm »

OEM versions are full copies.  The only difference between the OEM version and the full retail version is in the license.  In the OEM version, it is tied to the original hardware where you install it.  Meaning, you can't move the copy of Vista to another "computer" (generally defined as a different motherboard) from where it was originally installed, even if you uninstall it from and disassemble the original "computer".

The full retail version can be moved, though you may have to call to reactivate it if you do significant upgrades (just like with Windows XP).

This limitation was also true of Windows XP OEM vs. Full Retail.

I'm an enthusiast, so I'd likely purchase only the Retail version (because I swap out motherboards all the time) and likely the Ultimate version.  It's currently unclear if the new "no clean install with Upgrade version rule" applies to the Ultimate version of Vista.  If you're considering an Ultimate edition purchase, I suggest you wait for that to be completely sorted out (should be within a few days)...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:33:58 pm »

The good news is Media Center runs well on Vista.  We've been testing with it for quite a while.

I'm a bit of a fence sitter about Vista.  The main gee-whiz feature is DirectX 10.  However, there are no Vista drivers for the only DX10 card (8800) and no DX10 games yet. (even FSX hasn't delivered on its promised DX10 patch)  

The account control stuff drives me crazy, and lots of my hardware doesn't have drivers yet.

Still, someone has to be the early adopter, right?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 09:40:46 pm »

Still, someone has to be the early adopter, right?

And as soon as the early adopters sort it out, I'm ready to follow.

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:25 pm »

You all have fun beta-testing M$ latest offering for them.  Meanwhile, I'll just keep plugging along with my aging copy of XP - you know, the one with the functioning audio and video drivers, and a functional copy of VMWare Workstation.

When Vista SP2 makes it's debut, I'll see you then.  Or, if MC ports to OSX, maybe never...
THAT's what I'm talking about.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 10:11:15 pm »

lol.  MC holds people back from switching to OSX.  Perhaps Apple could offer a big sum of money and some programmers to help port MC to help build their user base.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 12:01:45 am »

Does anyone know if one can play games on Vista Enterprise.

I get one copy from The software assurance system from Microsoft, but I'm not sure if I can play games with it.

Anyone knows?

t.n.1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:00:21 am »

Yes, you can play games on it, just like you can on Windows Server 2003 (actually Win2K3 has a lot faster load times on many games). Enterprise is just Vista on steroides, sort of. But why should you? All excisting games run slower on Vista then on XP (some of them will half their frame rate), and stability is totally unnacceptable.

I have been running Vista for two months on my laptop to try it out (I didn't play games on it, even though I could, it has an Radeon X700 Mobile graphics card), and I say welcome to the WWW! Not World Wide Web, but World Wide Wait! (An expression coined for the Internet in the day when web pages got more graphics heavy and the broadband connections where few and far between.) Or, to twist an old Coke slogan: "Things go slower with Vista." I'm gonna be on XP SP2 (I waited half a year to upgrade to SP2, and by then all the major bugs were sorted out, well not upgrade, but install slipstreamed SP2 from the ground up - upgrades leaves you with a chaos of DLL files that will affect stability, a lot of people on the AVS Forum had trouble getting smooth playback of DVD movies when SP2 came) for a long time yet. And I mean a long time, at least 3-4 years would be my prediction. Maybe I'll skip Vista all together.

The account control sand box mentality with big brother watching you is driving me crazy, and now that HD-DVD and BluRay is cracked (sort of) I don't have to upgrade to Vista to get HD content on my projector (which I probably wouldn't get in any legal way because it's an analogue CRT projector). And the added, much hyped security? Running with my M0n0wall firewall towards the Internet and the added benefits of Norton Client Security on all computers (business strength firewall and antivirus) I would think that I'm a lot safer than most people running a Vista computer straight out on the Net.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

j.stream

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:33:29 am »

I use Vista Home Premium since last week. I ordered the systembuilder Version for 98 €. This is a full version without support from microsoft and without handbook. Everything works fine exept my epson scanner (no vista drivers from epson aviable).
MC also works fine but i had a little problem with the vista UAC (user account control). The system is stable and look smooth,
but there is no "killer feature" that makes a change to vista urgent. Most of my games works with vista but not all, so i use xp too.

johnnyboy

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:04:26 am »

I thought the Vista 'Aero' was over hyped and although nice and prettier than XP, not in itself worth the upgrade.
Window Blinds 5 on XP gave me transparent windows and made my XP as visually appealing as Vista and so Vista has lost almost all its appeal to me.

Moreover, if I wanted flashier graphics in a desktop, after what I saw today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws&mode=related&search=) I'd be switching to Linux which it appears now completely blows Windows (Vista) out the water for GUI with WoW factor.

The WOW starts now alright, but not for Vista - for Linux!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 07:26:10 am »

I thought the Vista 'Aero' was over hyped and although nice and prettier than XP, not in itself worth the upgrade.
Window Blinds 5 on XP gave me transparent windows and made my XP as visually appealing as Vista and so Vista has lost almost all its appeal to me.

Moreover, if I wanted flashier graphics in a desktop, after what I saw today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws&mode=related&search=) I'd be switching to Linux which it appears now completely blows Windows (Vista) out the water for GUI with WoW factor.

The WOW starts now alright, but not for Vista - for Linux!
That is quite snazzy  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:39 am »

And I mean a long time, at least 3-4 years would be my prediction. Maybe I'll skip Vista all together.

I don't imagine I'll wait quite that long...  After all, I do a lot of "tech support" (both the paid and unpaid varieties) and eventually other people will be using it, so I'll have to to know what they're talking about.  However, I'm certainly not taking the plunge any time soonIt also looks like they're gonna rush out SP1 in a transparent ploy to get some of the people who say "I'll wait for the first service pack" to take the plunge, so that's no judge of OS maturity.

Besides... As many people are, I'm really quite happy with Windows XP for what it does.  I do tend to prefer OSX a bit, but only slightly (and mostly because of the UNIX backend).  Vista definitely has some cool new stuff (other than the completely irrelevant flashy UI -- most of which I'd turn off anyway), but nothing that's a "must have" for any time soon.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 09:44:06 am »

Just curious, given the new kernel enhancements to so-called multi-media apps and services (the new thread scheduler/prioritizer), what do you guys at JRiver see as major benefits, both from a developer standpoint and some of us end users?
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

DarkPenguin

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 09:54:58 am »

I've no idea why anyone would buy vista.  (Other than it now puts files under \user and not \documents and settings\yada.)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 09:55:16 am »

Subject to being paid this month, I'm still intending to buy a new box,
which will come with both XP MCE and a Vista Upgrade.
I'll probably try Vista.  If it annoys me I'll go back to XP.

I'm always up for trying Microsofts latest
"Fastest ever operating system"  ;)

benn600

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 10:03:21 am »

I purchased Home Premium Upgrade and am downloading it right now.  Why isn't an iso?  It is boot.wim, install.wim, and an exe file (3 downloads).  The big download is 2300.7 MB.

I am so sick of "the most secure Windows ever"..."the fastest Windows ever"

If it wasn't an improvement, WHATEVER!  Everything gets better.  DUH.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:23 am »

Other than it now puts files under \user and not \documents and settings\yada

Well, that's a good reason right there (though not really good enough).  Finally!!  I've been manually moving mine for years with XP and 2000.

Also thought I'd mention here that Ars just posted a write up on the differences between OEM and Retail Vista.  It says basically just what I said above, but gives a bit more detail.  Worth checking out if you're gonna grab an OEM copy...

benn600

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 10:32:09 am »

So does anyone know of a guide for how to install Vista with these three downloads?  On Windows Marketplace where I downloaded it from, I don't see any help!  I'll keep looking.  I have about 140 GB to move to my NAS before I can format and the download won't be done for 3 hours either.

Perhaps the exe file just allows me to burn a DVD...that's what I want.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 10:48:32 am »

Wouldn't touch Vista with a ten foot pole:

1. DRM will absolutely crush you
2. Account management control is the most annoying thing in the world right now
3. Still very little driver support for a lot of the common hardware out there
4. All the sidebar, widgets and cosmetic stuff gets really annoying after awhile.
5. Most of the so-called new features like wmp11, ie7, windows bit defender anti-virus
   can all be added into xp.
6. Licence agreement is crazy stupid
7. A gigantic memory hog, was running 2gb and still wasnt enough for some things

TC  :o

benn600

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:05 am »

Does Microsoft Office Home & Student edition allow three installs?  I heard somewhere that you can install it on three computers.  If that is true (I can't find into on Windows Marketplace) then I may consider purchasing it later.  If it's only for one computer, it's worthless.  I jump between computers in our house a lot and would want to be able to use it on more computers.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 12:32:09 pm »

Fortune on vista ...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/02/05/8399126/index.htm?postversion=2007012405

I still think it is a pretty weenie list of features for $200.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 02:06:45 pm »

That article fails to mention the most important new feature of all...The complete rewrite of the audio stack/subsystem. I would think this would be of great interest to many in this community, provided all the new features work as advertised and problems due to lack of drivers/proliferation of DRM don't make it impossible to enjoy ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 02:13:13 pm »

The redone audio system (and the redone networking system) is probably the thing that most intrigues me about Vista.  The drivers are a huge issue now though.  It remains to be seen how much older hardware they actually end up backporting to Vista.

I know nVidia already announced that they would not be backporting drivers for nForce2 boards.  This is HUGE!  I have 2 systems with high-end Athlon XP CPUs and gobs of RAM that would run Vista without issue, but if nVidia sticks to their guns and won't release drivers then I'll be stuck on XP forever with them (or eventually switch to Linux).

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 02:28:33 pm »

Dang!

I was more concerned about a lack of drivers for audio cards, etc.,  but apparently I have bigger problems...like four nforce2 MB's...

Dang!!

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 02:56:58 pm »

I've tested vista a little bit and it´s nice but also ****.

At first I can´t run Mc12. It opens the Mc12 window (in former times you colud read Mc12 Beta :-)) and than..... nothing.

Second: You only have stereo and you need a BETA driver for Creative cards (Xfi Music_).

So I´ll stick with Xp for a while and I´ll play around with Vista until it works.
-- Albert Einstein

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 03:19:18 pm »

Dang!

I was more concerned about a lack of drivers for audio cards, etc.,  but apparently I have bigger problems...like four nforce2 MB's...

Dang!!

Yeah.  No crap, eh?  Here's a story on t'Inq about it: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35805

And here's nVidia's page listing compatible products:  http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html

Notice nForce2 isn't listed.  The nForce 2 boards (particularly the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and A7N8X-X boards) are great systems, and with a Barton-class AthlonXP would provide plenty of power to drive Windows Vista without issue.  I have no idea why they've made such a terrible support decision, but it makes me far less likely to buy a nForce 5xx or 6xx series board in the future!  How do I know the driver support will be there?

I'll probably have to go with AMD/ATI branded chipsets for future machines...  >:(

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 03:23:50 pm »

I've a A8n Deluxe sli.... ?

Ah....Vista sucks.

No but there are a few questions 64 or 32 bits

At the moment 32 is better but in 3 or 4 months?.....
-- Albert Einstein

benn600

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

Well, I'm running Vista Home Premium.  The install took forever!  I have a X1300 video card that wasn't recognized so I'm installing the latest driver and my 9250 works but aero doesn't.  I have 3 monitors--2 on the X1300.  Will I have aero on those two?  I know that card supports it (or it said it does).

Lots to do...to get everything ready for a working environment.

benn600

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 04:29:23 pm »

I'm downloading a driver for my X1300 directly from the manufacturer.  It says Vista ready so it better work!  I'm also downloading Logitech SetPoint for my keyboard and mouse.  The video driver is over 70 MB and my keyboard driver is almost 50!  I remember when 5-10 MB was a huge file.  It will take a few minutes!  Downloading Vista took me around 6 hours I think.  I think Vista is really snappy!  That may change when I get my X1300 working and can enable Aero glass.  Where do you enable Aero?

My system only has 1GB and half is used with a few apps running.  I'm really liking the new features but definitely confirm much of the change is UI.  Most of the bundled software I'll never use: Windows Media Player, IE, Movie Maker, etc.

I need my X1300 to work badly!  Does anyone know why it keeps saying that problems were detected and so it couldn't start?  I found a forum on Visiontek (mfr) with someone who had the same issue but installed a Windows update program.  I can't seem to find that program

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 04:52:13 pm »

2. Account management control is the most annoying thing in the world right now
Yeah, but that's because nobody plays Crazy Frog any longer... ;)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 05:39:37 pm »

OK BUT beyond the cool look -- LOL first thing i do with XP is to set back to WK2 look .. so not important to me .

Do Explorer out of stone age or same s..now ?
Do search    same ....... ?

And so on - Do all the Windows stone age progs working better [ or less bad ] ?

I'am using a prog right now to create MY XP cd install

== no IE , no WMP , no Outlook , NO many things ... so i'am not on my way to get Vista . And cannot stand all this DRM stuff .
Who , by the way , cannot do anything against someone running a Vista downloaded from the net two days ago .

Not me - there is stuff i would not bother to stole..-

And XP is quite a good OS , by the way.
Next money i may spend on an OS is for a Linux brew

Listener

• MC Beta Team
I bought an OEM copy of XP Pro last night
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 06:46:04 pm »

I have read enough about Vista to know that I don't want it on the desktop PC I'm about to build.  Maybe much later.

So I bought XP now just in case Microsoft stopped selling it.  My own little Vista party!

Bill

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: I bought an OEM copy of XP Pro last night
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 08:09:11 pm »

I have read enough about Vista to know that I don't want it on the desktop PC I'm about to build.  Maybe much later.

So I bought XP now just in case Microsoft stopped selling it.  My own little Vista party!

Bill

Bill What Is The Origin Of Your Handle "Listener"

Back in the 1940's there was a radio show called "Listener's Playhouse"

I am sure not the same but i am interested.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 08:26:38 pm »

> Bill What Is The Origin Of Your Handle "Listener"

It reflects my interest in listening to music.  So I use that handle on audio oriented forums.
(Or "Old Listener" if "Listener" is already taken.

I'm also interested in sports cars and driving.  I use "FasterThanEver" as a handle on some car forums.

I don't have a handle that reflects my status as a retired programmer getting interested in programming for fun after a couple of years off. 

> Back in the 1940's there was a radio show called "Listener's Playhouse"

I was born in mid-40s. I never heard that program.  My wife and I like swing and early jazz (and Broadway shows of the 20s through 40s) so we like much about the culture of that time.

Bill

jgreen

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:17 pm »

Bill--

Where did you buy your OEM XP-Pro and how much did you cough for it?  I'm running XP-home now and am looking for a (cheap) upgrade.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 09:05:43 pm »

I don't know where Bill got his, but for a full OEM version of XP Pro, a good price is Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116175

$139 (+ $4.99 shipping)

It also includes a voucher for a free upgrade to Vista (its an update version which is kinda bad, but it's to the Business edition which is okay).  Apparently some people have had difficulty redeeming it though!  But that's still a good price for XP Pro.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 09:53:06 pm »

Benn600, don't know why you are having so much problems with your x1300, when i was running a beta of vista about 2 months ago i installed a beta driver from my x1600pro and it worked fine, never had a problem with it, strange.

TC  ?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »

Bill--

Where did you buy your OEM XP-Pro and how much did you cough for it?  I'm running XP-home now and am looking for a (cheap) upgrade.

Newegg.com.  I got the XP Pro OEM version with Vista update coupon.  (same price as without it.)

See glynor's post for details. 

Bill

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 10:13:21 pm »

The Catalyst 7.1 Vista driver just came out a couple of days ago.  It'll handle the X1300 series cards (not to mention Radeon 9500 and later) without issue.  That would be the proper driver to use for any modern ATI Radeon based card that's gonna be able to support Vista.

ATI Catalyst 7.1 for Vista (32 bit)
ATI Catalyst 7.1 for Vista (64 bit)

benn600

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 10:27:23 pm »

It's an interesting issue.  If I use my X1300 AND 9250 at the same time, the X1300 doesn't work.  Using them in conjunction disables the X1300.  Right now, I am limited to 2 monitors but usually use 4 so I will either need a replacement PCI video card with DVI + Svideo or will hope for a fix.

I'm having an issue with Media Center, VLC, WMP, basically all video.  When I try to play any video I've tried so far, nothing plays.  In VLC, the screen is white with audio and in MC, it's black.  I will keep installing codecs and stuff but it usually worked with VLC alone.  Any ideas?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 02:06:38 am »

A word of advice, from experience, make sure all MB and card BIOSes are up to date.

At my work we have been testing with a new fleet of HP D7700's ("Vista Capable") where Vista was running... just satisfactorily...

After a BIOS upgrade, boot times dropped from 4Mins to >30sec (to the desktop), World of Warcraft frame rates went up about 20%-25% (Hey we had to test the graphics system!), and install times dropped.

Comparing raw builds of Vista and XP on side-by-side machines, we found V was about 5 seconds slower to boot than XP, had similar WOW performance, and V was faster to install, we think (the methods we used were not *really* suitable for direct comparison, however V installed in under ~25 min from DVD)

Cheers,
C.

benn600

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007, 08:13:45 am »

I purchased from Windows Marketplace and downloaded.  It looks like I can still request a DVD but I would rather burn one my self.  I got 2 .wim files and a .exe file to start the install.  When I was finished, a Vista folder was created that looked a lot like the DVD probably does...but I would still need the boot sector to make the DVD bootable, right?  Any ideas what I could do?  In the worst case, I will try to order one and I'd only have to pay shipping.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 09:18:05 am »

It's an interesting issue.  If I use my X1300 AND 9250 at the same time, the X1300 doesn't work.  Using them in conjunction disables the X1300.  Right now, I am limited to 2 monitors but usually use 4 so I will either need a replacement PCI video card with DVI + Svideo or will hope for a fix.

I know what this is, and I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix.

Both the X1300 and the 9250 are ATI cards, and would normally both be supported by the Catalyst driver.  However, recent Catalyst drivers don't support the 9250 series of cards anymore (too old and slow), and ATI/AMD doesn't plan to release Vista-compatible drivers for them other than those that ship with Vista.

The problem is that your X1300-series card can (and really needs to) use the Catalyst driver.

When both are installed, it sort of "forces" the 9250 card to try to use the Catalyst driver that's being loaded to support the X1300 card, which doesn't work.  When only the X1300 card is installed, it works of course.  When only the 9250 card is installed, loading the Catalyst driver fails, and Windows defaults to its "built-in" driver (which works).

Unless ATI/AMD changes makes a huge reversal, I'd say you don't have much hope of getting those two to work together in Vista.  Your best bet is probably to try to grab another low-end PCI card, but one that is supported by Catalyst.

If the 9250 you're replacing is a PCI card (I assume it is), then this would be a good option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103016

benn600

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 10:20:36 am »

Lol.  I actually ordered a very similar card...might be the same.  It's a PCI X1300 as well and I ordered it from Buy.com.  My thinking was that if my 9250 drops my experience meter to 1.0 and with the X1300, it's 3.9, then I would be dropped to 1.0 just for using the 9250.  Therefore, having two nearly identical cards would work great (I think).

Now I have a credit card question.  I would call Discover but can't at the moment.  Being a new custom, my credit limit is only $500--which is fine.  However, my available credit OFTEN goes negative!  Some transactions are not allowed because of insufficient credit.  However, this most recent order (the PCI card) will put me $52 over my credit limit and it appears to have gone through!  My credit is -$52 and Buy.com doesn't give an error.  It appears to have gone through.  I will make a payment to Discover today to get everything back to normal but I'm confused.  They said if finance charges (for instance) take you over your credit limit, you can be charged fines.  They better not try to charge fines for accepting too many transactions!  (Off-topic)

Addition: I got the Visiontek X1300 PCI from buy.com for $116.99 and Newegg charges around $130 or so.  I hope it solves my problem.  I actually use all 4 monitors because I use the S-Video port on the PCI card.

Aero glass is pretty nice I must admit.  How do you activate the window scrolling mode where all the windows line up?  I pushed all the F- buttons and couldn't figure out how to start it.  Alt-tab is nice.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 02:02:50 pm »

Now I have a credit card question.  I would call Discover but can't at the moment.  Being a new custom, my credit limit is only $500--which is fine.  However, my available credit OFTEN goes negative!  Some transactions are not allowed because of insufficient credit.  However, this most recent order (the PCI card) will put me $52 over my credit limit and it appears to have gone through!  My credit is -$52 and Buy.com doesn't give an error.  It appears to have gone through.  I will make a payment to Discover today to get everything back to normal but I'm confused.  They said if finance charges (for instance) take you over your credit limit, you can be charged fines.  They better not try to charge fines for accepting too many transactions!  (Off-topic)

Conveniently, I used to work (many moons ago) for MBNA (Money Buys Nearly Anything) as a customer service rep, and I can answer this...

Generally, banks use a computer modeling system to determine whether to allow Over-Limit charges to go through.  In most cases, MBNA would approve over-limit charges, if the amount that it would push the customer over limit was less than $100, and if the customer had a reasonably good payment record (no 30-day delinquencies and whatnot).  There was a complex formula that would tell the system to approve or deny them, but that was a general good "guestimate" rule.  Some accounts they'd let go $1000s overlimit!

They always tried to balance the bank's interest in preventing over-limit expenditures (which increase risk to the bank), with customer satisfaction (denying charges makes customers very mad no matter who's "fault" it is).  Plus, generally, the higher your balance is the better it is for the bank (more debt = higher interest payments), so the bank has a good motivation to approve all potential purchases.  Plus, there's the advantage to the bank that they then get to charge you the overlimit fee (though MBNA only charged the fee if you were overlimit on your statement closing date -- some banks charge it if you went over at any point during the month, and I don't know Citibank's, who owns Discover, rule).  Fees like that are pure profit for the bank, so they like charging them.

Those same models are actually how they decide to approve or deny all charges.  The credit limit is a figure for the customer to worry about, it doesn't have much to do with how the bank decides to approve or deny charges.  Those modeling systems are used to predict charge-off and fraud and all sorts of other nasties...

Dirty little secret of the credit card industry is that they like it when you're late.  Just so long as you're not too late too often.  A customer who always pays their bills on time, and always pays in full, really isn't that great of a customer.  Sure, they're low risk, but they're also very low profit!

It used to always make me laugh... People would call about some charge for some reason or another, and they'd demand: "I'm an excellent customer!  I always pay my bill on time, and I always pay in full!"  And I'd be thinking ... "Yeah, we know.  It sucks!"

benn600

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 03:51:01 pm »

I understand that!  I haven't had any finance charges or fees from Discover yet so they probably don't really like me.  If they allow an over charge to go through, I would be angry because then they could, like you said, potentially charge over limit fees.  I don't want over charges to go through!  I want a credit card purely for convenience and not for easy credit--which it really is!  No work to get a "loan."  Just pay hardly anything and you've got a "loan."  Thanks for your insight!

Anyway, I hope that X1300 fixes my problem!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up