INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any heavy podcast users using MC as their primary client?  (Read 1381 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Any heavy podcast users using MC as their primary client?
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:10:25 am »

I put all my audio and video podcasts in MC, but I am giving up on MC12 for podcasting for now.  Too many issues (for me):

Constantly wanting to re-download files.
Files get downloaded multiple time with (1), (2), (3), etc. extensions (related to the redownload issues) - MC only sees the 'last' file downloaded so I end up with orphaned files.
Because of the two above issues I have basically devolved in to handling the feed downloads manually.
On top of that, I strongly suspect my crashes are related to the podcast checks/pulls.

Is anyone a heavy podcast user (more than 25 different feeds of various audio and video formats including h.264, m4p, etc.) and NOT having issues with MC12 handling the feeds internally?

Since Transistr is still vaporware at this point, and iPodderX (it's previous incarnation) is essentially dead/unsupported - I am going to use 'Juice' as a temporary solution.

dcwebman

Re: Any heavy podcast users using MC as their primary client?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:01:19 am »

Just to make sure you get a reply, I am not a heavy podcast user because I only have 4 feeds, 2 audio that automatically download and 2 (1 audio and 1 video) that I manually download. I haven't had any issues at all.
Jeff

Marquis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:42:37 am »

I have the same issues as described before, but not the crashes. I am not a heavy podcast user (5 feeds at all: 2 audio, 3 video). I am cleaning up the double files once a month by doing a search pattern "(?)" and then delete all files found. Some more advanced handling from MC would be nice.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:00:25 am »

I use it very heavily for Video Podcasts (a variety of different formats).  I do get the very occasional duplicate download, but the duplicates show up in my library, so it's no big deal to delete them.  I have Otto monitoring my Podcasts directory, so they automatically show up in both the Podcasts part of the tree and the Video/Audio parts of the tree (and I believe they automatically get Podcast as their Genre so they don't even require any tagging).

I've never really had much of an issue with them at all.  It doesn't seem to happen that terribly often -- and I too suspect it happens when I close MC when a Podcast is only partially downloaded.  Of course, I have GOBS of hard drive space on the drive where the Podcasts live (they're on my RAID volume which has about 280 GB free right now), so I'm not really very concerned about using up a few hundred extra MB for duplicates -- as long as I can weed them out fairly easily.  I wonder -- are your Podcasts being saved to a local, fast drive, or are you trying to dump them to an external or network drive?

What crashing are you seeing?  MC12 only crashes VERY rarely for me (I get a very occasional hard-lock), and I find it's typically when MC is building thumbnails in the background... I'm suspicious that this is more Haali and FFDSHOW's fault than MC's.  Background thumbnailing is really the only "rough edge" for me with MC12's video support.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50:11 am »

Glynor:  My duplicates happen all the time, and they do NOT show up in the library (but then again I don't have them set to otto import).  I will see the file in MC under the podcast one day, then it is just 'gone' the next and wants to redownload.  Looking at the folder on the drive the file is still there, but MC thinks it has never pulled it.  I suspect this is related to the crashes somehow.  The drive is a normal internal drive - the same one all my other content is loaded to.

My crashes even happen when MC is just sitting there doing 'nothing', but they don't actually bring down the program (if content is playing it continues to play, and I can navigate around inside the program) until I acknowledge the dialog box.  I thought they were related to the thumbnailing/codec issues - since thumbnails actually getting built for podcasts is hit and miss.  But then it happened yesterday when I had auto-download disabled (emailed the log file).  It is possible that MC is puking when it gets unexpected data from a feed.

I am going to run MC 'podcastless' for a couple of weeks and see if the crashes stop.  As it stands, at the moment I am spending as much time (or more) managing them inside MC that I would importing and tagging them from an external source.

kirkfrey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:49 am »

Has anyone found a work around or fix for the duplicate podcasts?  It seems to be more prone to happen for some podcasts.  I deleted the duplicates this morning.  Closed MC (no podcasts downloading) and opened it back up and it happily re-downloaded the duplicates.

Any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up