INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does Library Server work behind the scenes?  (Read 1587 times)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
How does Library Server work behind the scenes?
« on: January 27, 2007, 08:07:56 pm »

I don't know if i'm having a problem with my library server or not. When I load a library with "songs list a", start up a client, connect to the server its list shows "songs list a". If I then load a library with "songs list b" on the server, no matter what I do on the client, it always shows "songs list a". I hope that makes sense. Song lists a and b have Completely different songs in them.

Also if I update "song list a" on the server the client never sees them. I"ve tried removing and reinstalling the media center on the client and clearing and rebuilding a library on the server to no avail. Am I doing something wrong?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: How does Library Server work behind the scenes?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 08:39:09 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing, but it shouldn't work that way.

The client will not see changes until it reloads the library, but it will see changes after that.
To reload the library, just switch to the default library and back to the served library.

j

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 08:57:40 pm »

Thats what I figured. I'm pretty sure this is a recent issue (within the last couple of public builds).

Reloading doesn't work. I uninstalled (including library) on the client and reinstalled. Still doesn't work. I think the problem may be with the server though. The client requests files that are not in the Library being served (it's in another library) and it still returns them.

I've also cleaned out the server library and reimported everything and that did not help.

Not sure what to do next beyond reinstalling the server too... but that is much more work with 14,000 files.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:48:33 am »

I'm checking...

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:15:04 am »

Try this:
1) stop Library Server
2) stop Media Center on the library server machine
3) delete C:\Program Files\JRiver\Media Center 12\MJ Server Library.zip (that's an old name!)
4) restart the server's Media Center
5) restart Library Server
If an error occurred in any of those steps, it should give a clue to what's going on. If an error didn't occur, try reconnecting.
Then try changing the server library and reconnect again to see if you get the change.

j

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 06:12:03 pm »

Too late....  :)

It turns out it was the server. I removed the server and any directories/registry entries that were left behind. After a re-install it now functions correctly.  Thems the breaks with beta testing. I've been using beta versions ever since members had access to them. Funny thing is, I never had ANY problems until recently.

All things considered, now that this build is RTM it's probably better to clean my system anyway. As a programmer, it still would have been interesting to find out why it was behaving the way it was... Where the heck was it getting this old version of my library to serve to clients? :)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:33:32 pm »

Oh, ya. One quick "bug" report.

In the main splash screen when you start MC12 it says:

Music Meets art
Media Center 11.1 Supports the

You might want to change that. :)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:25:34 am »

Where the heck was it getting this old version of my library to serve to clients? :)

The library is packaged up as a zip file. I think the zip file somehow got stuck - flagged as not deletable nor modifiable, and so that was the one you were getting every time.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up