INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Received a DSM-320  (Read 2974 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Received a DSM-320
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:27 pm »

I just got a D-Link DSM-320. I first went to get newer firmware and make sure I got the latest media server. I was surprised that I had no problems playing anything including DivX movies which I thought were a problem with the D-Link code. I thought initially I had the same problem mentioned before where the volume was way too low then I discovered that the device itself has a volume control. Once I turned that up all the way and let my stereo control the volume, audio was very good and video was acceptable. I have always had to turn even DVD volume up so playing videos with volume turned up is the same.

I tried Media Center's 162 and discovered I couldn't play any videos except straight AVI's. The other ones I have which are MP4 didn't play but they do play in MC itself. I also discovered that smartlists didn't work. I saw a lot of "Unable to access this folder" messages. I'm sure if I read through the forums that I might find some answers.

I tried TVersity and that worked but not as well as I had anticipated. I like the ability to view video podcasts but that only worked some of the time. Again, I probably have to do some reading to get everything working.

I also learned that Yahoo Music Jukebox and Windows Media Player 11 worked fine as media servers too if I downloaded the files. Lots of choices as media servers but of course I want to use MC 12 as I can set up view schemes, playlists, etc. a lot easier.

I really don't like how the remote control works though because sometimes it takes 2 or more presses of a key before it takes action. And especially Page Up and Down is really slow. I sure wish I could type the first letter of an artist to get to that location first. I know there's a search feature but instead of bringing up the online keyboard to type that in, it would be a lot easier if you could at least type a letter from the remote. If I could get MC 12 working perfectly, then I could probably set up some view schemes to make it easier to use.

Overall, I really am glad I got the device. I am using it wirelessly right now and was surprised that most everything I tested played pretty well. I'll probably still end up running a network wire sometime.
Jeff

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Received a DSM-320
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:39:23 am »

I thought the multiple button presses was just me missing the receiver (lol)!  I also noticed the volume control a few hours after I became confused why it was so quiet.  It's handy but should be defaulted to 90% or 100% from the factory.

When I get some free time, I'm going to try to set it up a little better or do more research on transcoding, etc.  I don't think there is much available but I want to look.  Have you tried the included server software?  I'm hoping they add DVD movie supports instead of just VOB support.  How does the included software handle VOB's?  Does it show them as VTS0101 or whatever it is?  That would be hardly useful.  I don't want to stain my server with the software so if anyone else wants to test it out and report back, that would be great.  I don't want to stain my server because it's running 10 drives in RAID 5 and I don't want to chance it.

I wanted to hook up some webcams with Dorgem (free webcam capture program) and I had three running.  Suddenly, HARD REBOOT!   While writing to my RAID 5 array from the network.  Wow was I scared.  Luckily it regenerated fine and is now healthy and I deleted the "half copied" files but that was scary.  I immediately ordered two ethernet web cams from Amazon ($80 each) so I don't have to deal with junk webcam drivers and USB.  Ethernet is the way to go.  Plus I don't have to run an old computer 24/7 to get a cam.  It supports up to 4 so I may buy two more if I like them.  I had it at one point with 4 independent servers running one cam each but that was a huge pain...keeping an os going, etc.  Wow...OT, lol.

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:01:04 am »

The included server software was the first I tried and probably the best. The only problem is it's not very flexible like MC is with creating different view schemes/playlists. I didn't have any VOB's to try, just DivX, straight AVI, and MP4 videos.

The nice thing about all these media servers is they're just programs and you can start/stop them at will. I don't think you'll have a problem with installing the included software. What server software are you using with the dlink then?

BTW, a little clarification on the DivX in MC. Again it plays fine in Media Center but when viewed through the dlink it starts playing and then just kind of pauses every couple seconds. No other media server software had this problem.

I just remembered I do have some VOBs on that computer and will give it a try tonight.
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:30:02 pm »

I'm using Media Center as the server.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:45:43 am »

If you're using MC as the server, are you getting MP4 and DivX videos to play fine?
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:25:15 pm »

Have you tried the included server software?  I'm hoping they add DVD movie supports instead of just VOB support.  How does the included software handle VOB's?  Does it show them as VTS0101 or whatever it is?  That would be hardly useful.

Just got the time to try it with the server software. Yes, the names are just like VTS_01_1.VOB so you can't really use All Videos but have to use Folders to find the movie you want. I guess that's the DVD menu.  ;) The software is form last May so maybe someday they'll update it.
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 07:45:51 pm »

I worry that when the product becomes "obsolete," they just stop updating it.  I did request that they add DVD menu support--that would be enough for me to love the product.

I just got two DCS-900 Dlink cameras and was so impressed that I ordered two more.  The included software supports 4 at a time so I thought I'd stop there..and in the past I've always had 4 USB cams hooked up.  These ethernet cams are much better.  I am even impressed with the low light performance a bit.  While it is grainy, you can actually see quite a bit of detail.  When it's pitch black, you do see grain, but I'm still impressed.  I will get them setup to post a pic to my local ftp server and then I'll write a little Perl script to navigate the images...I like to save an image every minute and then include the Day name...so Monday_13_34 would be a pic Monday at 1:34 PM.  That way, I can easily navigate the past week of pictures...I'm not sure how great it can get there..haven't played with the FTP posting timelines but I do see some variables that can be used.  lol.  Way to get off topic but it's another network appliance to think about.  If part of the screen is light and another is dark, the dark part gets very grainy.  They are $80 on Amazon which seems to be the cheapest of anywhere.  In good light, they look amazing.  I like setting my web script to auto advance every second and auto advance a minute or two at a time...then I can watch the sun set.

I think the desktop software is somewhat unnecessary in many situations.  It has more motion capture settings and other things but the web interface is probably enough and at that point, I don't have to be limited to four cameras.  I like to have one aiming out each window.  Considering how nice these are, we may try to install one in our front driveway and then we'll want a monitor showing all of them all the time or cycling.  Ahhh..security.  How fun?

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 12:54:53 pm »

Have you tried playing MP4 and DivX videos through MC to the DSM-320?  If you can get it to work, how?  They play fine in MC on the PC but not when streaming to the DSM-320. I'm guessing I need to install something else, maybe CCCP?, but don't want to install a lot of stuff if I don't need to.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up