INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature taken away!?  (Read 2650 times)

fwhoch

• Recent member
Feature taken away!?
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:46:43 am »

Hi,  I wanted to let you know I really like the upgrade from MC11 to 12, its a lot faster, the auto import feature is great, and the search is amazing.

The only drawback ive found in the upgrade to its predecesor is the missing control bars option in the display options.  I use media center all the time, usually I have the display taking up 1/4th of my screen leaving me enough room on the screen to work while watching a movie, tv or listening to music with a visualization on.

Now in MC12 in order to have access to the progress bar and basic controls i have to open the main program window which is a hassle.  Now I dont quite understand the reason the option was taken off, for since it was a great idea to have access to basic controls that didnt take up screen real estate and could be enabled and disabled.  Likewise when watching in full screen mode the display resizes when the controls are brought up and sometimes it doesnt bring up any controls.

Please consider bringing back the Control Bars on the detachable display make it an option like it was on MC 11. 

Screenshot

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Feature taken away!?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:16:24 am »

Try to reduce the "Display View" mode from the maximized state. This was the only "small" mode that JRiver originally offered in the closed beta program. After the beta testers asked for an option that can display a separate display window besides the standard MC GUI the detached display was introduced.

I agree that the automatic resizing when the controls appear should be optional like it was in MC11.1. The changing display size bothers me everytime I use the maximized Display Mode.
JRiver, please make the resizing optional again.

Also I have requested small controls to the detached display, but didn't get them:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34750.msg237387#msg237387

Here is a way to use MC's detached window system with two zones:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35110.msg239523#msg239523   and
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35110.msg239613#msg239613
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 02:43:19 am »

If you're talking about a frame popping open with controls and a few other things if my mouse hand slips a fraction of an inch too far left, right or up, I do so agree!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:01:16 am »

The original point of the Detached Display was to make me (and gpvillamil and a few others) happy with MC12, so that we could use the main MC GUI on one monitor (typically the laptop's screen) and the "display" on another monitor (typically the projector or external monitor/TV).  For this, since I have controls available through the primary GUI, I'd rather not have and do not need the controls in the Detached Display.

You used to be able to accomplish this in MC11 via the Display Options you posted the screenshot of, but since MC12 was changed to use the unified display motif, then this was no longer possible.

The "Display View" provides the "embedded controls" you're looking for.  If you don't like them, then the Detached Display provides this functionality instead (MC remembers the Detached Display's position and "size", including Full Screen status, on a per-zone basis).  Unless you for some reason need both the full MC GUI on one display, and the embedded controls inside the Full Screen display, at the same time, then I don't see why the current system isn't flexible enough for you.  As Alex pointed out, the "Display View" isn't always full screen, you can resize it.

As far as the resizing -- I agree, sorta.  I like the resizing personally (I asked for it actually). I don't like the controls to cover up any part of the video, which is more distracting to me than the resize.  However, when I asked for it, I asked for an option because I knew there would be people who wouldn't like it.  Instead, they just changed it (and there was no major outcry way back then).

One thing I really would like to see (and have asked for repeatedly) is some way to pull up those controls in Display View via an Automation command or a keypress, so that I could pull it up via my remote (and not have to reach for the mouse for those circumstances when I want to see it for some reason).  This is a feature that basically every set-top box has for the on-screen "info" display, and it annoys me that in MC I have to reach for the mouse to get it to appear.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:04:39 am »

All that is well and good, Glynor, and I could manage to live with that except for one problem: MC doesn't seem to remember if I have the display detached or not.  I need everything to be controlled by Girder, and using right mouse clicks and stuff like that looks incredibly lame! If I go back to regular view (which is used for music) the display will still be detached, and that doesn't look good. So I have to use CTRL+3 to go to regular display view first, and then go to regular view. The problem then is that the next time I go to display view, it will be regular display view again. If only there was a shortcut key (dare I suggest CTRL+5?) to go to detached display view, I would be OK with it. Or is there one I haven't found yet?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:12:49 am »

If only there was a shortcut key (dare I suggest CTRL+5?) to go to detached display view, I would be OK with it. Or is there one I haven't found yet?

I agree wholeheartedly here.  We need some new Automation commands for MC12.  I don't think they've gotten there yet.  I'd really like a MCC command/Windows Message for Detach Display (preferably one that toggles Detach and Reattach) and one that brings up the above mentioned controls in Display View.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:52:47 pm »

If only there was a shortcut key (dare I suggest CTRL+5?) to go to detached display view, I would be OK with it. Or is there one I haven't found yet?

Look for this in build 164 and later.

Also, if you use MCC commands for automation, you can already use this:

10037: MCC_DETACH_DISPLAY,                            // [BOOL bDetach (-1 toggles)]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

Fantastic.  Thanks Matt.  Hadn't seen the Automation command.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 01:35:09 am »

Yo da man! Thanks! :D

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:36 am »

One thing: Shouldn't pressing "CRTL+1" return to standard view? When I am in detached display view, I have to press CTRL+5 a second time to go to regular view, and I would prefer to be able to use CTRL+1 (or 2 if I want to go to mini view).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:59 am »

One thing: Shouldn't pressing "CRTL+1" return to standard view? When I am in detached display view, I have to press CTRL+5 a second time to go to regular view, and I would prefer to be able to use CTRL+1 (or 2 if I want to go to mini view).

I'm not so sure...  I typically use the Detached Display in a multi-monitor setup.  I'd only want the Display to close when I specifically issue a command for it to do so, not when switching modes of the regular GUI (which is on another monitor from the Detached Display).

I'd say that what you are describing is designed to be accomplished by Display View, not the Detached Display.  I realize you don't like the controls, but...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:13:21 am »

Yeah... I just tested it.  Control+1-4 work just fine while the Detached Display is open, they simply leave it open.  I wouldn't want this changed at all.   :o

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 08:23:09 am »

Man, you gotta mess with me! ;) I only use one monitor, you see... Maybe if we just got an option not to pop the controls at all? But that's been nixed, I think...

gappie

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:38 am »

Yeah... I just tested it.  Control+1-4 work just fine while the Detached Display is open, they simply leave it open.  I wouldn't want this changed at all.   :o

thatis funny. when i have the display detached and press ctr 4 to go to theater view, the detached view closses.  ?

dont know what i prefer.

but most of all, i love this new feature. and the mcc code works fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:31:45 am »

thatis funny. when i have the display detached and press ctr 4 to go to theater view, the detached view closses.  ?

Mine too after just checking further... (Man, I really thought I moved in and out of Theater View before when testing but I guess not.)

I know how I feel about this... I don't like it at all.  I'd really prefer that the Detached Display never close unless you take a specific action to close it (eg. Clicking in the Display area or Control+5).  In fact, the Detached Display also closes when you enter Display View.  I'd really prefer it to remain open in that case as well, and for Display View to show the "Display is detached..." message.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 08:33:38 am »

Man, you gotta mess with me! ;) I only use one monitor, you see... Maybe if we just got an option not to pop the controls at all? But that's been nixed, I think...

I'm certainly not opposed to said option!  I even think that the mockup at the top of this thread is a good place to put it.  Give three choices (and have them apply to Display View not to the Detached Display):

Auto-hide controls (default and current)
Always Show Controls
Always Hide Controls

gappie

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:38:07 am »

what i did notice is that when i change zone first, only the detached display from the zone your in closes when switching.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 09:47:00 am »

what i did notice is that when i change zone first, only the detached display from the zone your in closes when switching.

Yes.  I noticed this as well when playing with it a bit more.  Thank god for small favors.

Really, the Detached Display shouldn't close when entering/exiting Theater View though, as that makes it very hard to use Theater View on a touchscreen with the Detached Display as your "playback" area on a separate HDTV or Projector...

Pages: [1]   Go Up