INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best TV card without a PVR induced delay?  (Read 2218 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
What's the best TV card without a PVR induced delay?
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:41 am »

I have given up the fight with my 4-5 year old (at least...) WinTV FM, it won't work reliably, and the tuner isn't very good either. So I need a good advice for something else to put in my kitchen TV computer (19" widescreen LCD monitor, speakers and ATI Remote Wonder are the only parts that will be in the kitchen, the rest will be up in the attic). I have a very good ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 available, but since MC doesn't do deinterlacing for that, it's out. And only ATI's latest few software versions support a widescreen monitor, but they all induce the delay. Besides I would prefer to go with MC, of course!  8)

In the bedroom (that has an identical monitor and remote) I have a Hauppauge PVR USB2, and that's very good. But useless in the kitchen (like all PVR cards, at least from Hauppauge) because it has a delay. The problem is that the kitchen is very close to the living room TV, and we often have the same program on both. The echo from that delay is enough to drive everybody nuts!

So does anybody know a card that works with MC, has a good tuner and doesn't have a delay?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: What's the best TV card without a PVR induced delay?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:30:36 pm »

This "delay" you speak about appears to be an inherant feature of all digital tv cards - at least all I've tried (and I've tried many!).

Basically I think it comes down to the fact that even with timeshifting disabled, these devices still do some buffering of the tv signal internally. This process, in conjuction with other factors including how fast your PC is capable of processing and playing back the signal, will always introduce some delay.

If it bothers you then remember: timeshifting is your friend! Set it on your lounge room PC (for example) to buffer about 30 seconds worth of material before you sit down and watch. Then you'll never be put off by echo again.

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: What's the best TV card without a PVR induced delay?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:32:25 am »

Thanks, but that's not really an option. Notice I said "living room TV". We don't use a computer in the living room because my wife and kids are more channel surfing than watching, and I really don't use timeshifting anyway, even if the satellite receiver can do it. One man's feature is another man's annoyance, it seems.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up