INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: power DVD or WinDVD?  (Read 972 times)

zevele1

power DVD or WinDVD?
« on: August 30, 2002, 04:47:55 am »

I have a LG DVD-CDR

The program i got with it is Power DVD

But the shop gave a WinDVD disc as well.

Which one best to use?

I do not plan to use the player a lot[i have TV and DVD in the bedroom].Mainly some musical DVD when friends coming.

I would like to rip ONLY the music on my hard drive from DVD

Anyway to do it? Or TotalRecorder the only solution?

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
RE:power DVD or WinDVD?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 01:49:31 pm »

Salut Zev, comment va ?

1. I use Power DVD to watch DVD and I'm very happy with - nice, easy and run very smoothly.

2. As far as I know (but I can be wrong), you can't just "rip" soundtracks from a DVD.
You need to use a Divx tool (like Gordian Knot, par exemple) that allows you to "extract" and convert the soundtrack.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 02:02:12 pm »

I've use both and I prefer WinDVD.  But personal preferences must be the reason there are more than just one.  Both are good.

To get the audio from DVD, you need special tools. Check out http://www.doom9.org/ and go to the 'Download' area, then take the link 'main software page' for a treasure chest full of tools.

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 02:17:51 pm »

"Both are good" - I agree and preference is sometimes a question of mood.

By the way, LCtheDJ, thanks for the link.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 12:02:14 am »

PowerDVD appears to have a marginally better audio decoder and is prefered for audio... WinDVD is a great player but does not hit my high spot... The Ravisent filters (TheaterTek / CinePlayer4 / ATI Player) have the best picture quality currently...

Zoom player is a front end that allows you to mix and match any of the filter packs so you can run Ravisent video filters and PowerDVD audio if you so desire...

You cannot rip any DVD-A (we have no DVD-A player either) but you can rip the high rez audio tracks to HD and we have people on AVS ripping 24/96 tracks and using monkeys to encode down to about 600MB per disk, very reasonable I think... I hope that high rez 24/96 ripping soon becomes an MJ feature...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up