INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious FLAC issues with my Rio Karma  (Read 2543 times)

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Serious FLAC issues with my Rio Karma
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:02:51 am »

The saga continues...

I've reported FLAC issues previously, but never quite had the whole picture figured out. Well, tonight, after a 6 pack and several hours of research, I think I've got it.

Media Center 12 (versions ranging all the way up to the new 12.0.139) refuses to transfer FLAC songs to my Rio Karma. Not cool.

Here's the situation
  • I installed the Rio Music Manager software (in WinXP) and it transfers all my FLACs with no problem
  • Media Center 12 *appears* to do the same, but leaves the Rio with 0 files visible on it
  • Viewing the Rio in the Music Manager software afterwards shows a few gigs used, but 0 songs in the list
  • Transfers of small batches of FLACs encoded with varying encoder software resulted in the same
  • I'm using the latest FLAC 2.02/2.10 decoder/encoder for MC12
  • Countless re-formats in Music Manager and Media Center continued to prove these results
  • Transfers of MP3s work flawlessly in both programs
  • I'm still getting the umlauted "y" character appended in front of a few of my albums (Björk, Kraftwerk and a few others?) when transferred to the Rio
  • The Rio Music Manager seems to exhibit this same umlaut problem until I upgraded to the latest unofficial version of it (2.96) which "fixes unicode issues"

Please help! I would very much prefer to live in Media Center and never have to touch that Rio software again. I would also like to convert all my cds to FLAC, but this does not bode well! Thanks!

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Serious FLAC issues with my Rio Karma
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:29:08 pm »

Should I take the silence as a sign that my Karma is hopeless?...

FLAC syncing did work fine in MC11.  :-\

SwellGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:52:25 am »

matthewmattical,

You ARE on our radar screen, we've looked into it but have nothing to report yet. I guess at this point we would suggest conversion but will try to have a better response for you soon.

Regards,
Rick

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 12:43:24 am »

Thanks for the reply - I just finally noticed it. I'm sure it's a tricky problem and I don't know if many others are affected. Then again, most others seem to be using iPods.

Conversion works in the mean-time...but it's so sloooooow.  ;)

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:19:03 am »

As I don't usually follow this forum, if there's anything I need to do with the flac plugins, please let me know in the 3rd Party forum.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 11:58:43 pm »

You've prompted me to check into that player.  I must say that currently, I am interested in just about anything with an ethernet port on it.  That looks amazing.  I love how they include a cradle with audio out and obviously USB but then ethernet as well.  It would be nice if it had a nicer, more "show offie" type color screen like iPod's and Sansa's.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:43 pm »

The Karma is a cool player but it's beginning to feel very long in the tooth. The screen is crummy (dim with bad contrast) and the driver support is non-existent now that Rio is dead. The one reason I still own it is for the native FLAC support, but JR Media Center won't sync my FLACs to it since version 12.  ::)

I'm getting pretty close to throwing it out the window and picking up a more modern player. The Cowon A2 is one of the only other decent FLAC-supporting devices I've seen but it doesn't have a dock, which is a big downside to me. I'm at my wits end with this Karma business...any buyers?

benn600

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:37:50 pm »

On a flash player, flac doesn't really work too well because it would really eat up the small space.  And I'm not really interested in a hard drive based player...too much to worry about.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 10:36:38 pm »

Just a quick update....

I'm REALLY getting close to smashing my Rio with a hammer and quite possibly my Vista machine. I installed the latest 164 build of MC12, formatted my Rio and enabled conversion to VBR MP3 for my FLAC files. Upon syncing, MC says there's no MP3 encoder installed and clicking "yes" to install it does nothing. Manually trying to install the lame_enc.dll gives me a "can't install plugin" error in the plugin manager.

I've gone months now with a good percentage of my Rio playlist NOT on the Rio...   :-\

benn600

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 03:17:41 pm »

Right click on shortcut and open as Administrator...tell everyone who has Vista!  Make that a STICKY because it's making a lot of people confused and upset!!!

I'm getting sick of Vista, too.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 12:54:53 am »

Thanks! That did the trick. Despite Vista's security paranoia, I'm digging the other improvements quite a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up