INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sandisk Sansa vs Apple iPod Nano Indepth Analysis  (Read 1662 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Sandisk Sansa vs Apple iPod Nano Indepth Analysis
« on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:40 pm »

My sister just picked up a 4GB pink Apple iPod Nano.  I just had to compare it to my 6GB Sandisk Sansa.  I'd like other people's opinion on the two players and the points I bring up:

1) Forget the microSD slot because in MTP mode, it is inaccessible from what I've seen.  I don't like MSC mode because it has to constantly scan for changes and update the database so I basically don't even use the slot even though I have two 512MB cards.
2) On the nano, I see a Radio option under Main Menu items.  What is this all about?  Does it mean the Nano may have a Radio in the future?  Does it now?  I added the item but it never showed up under Music like it should have.
3) Games.  Why didn't Sandisk include some games?  The iPod has a few simple yet fun games--especially the music quiz!  That is the best game ever for a music player!
4) Pictures.  The Sansa's picture support is nonexistent because you have to use their special software.  If it doesn't work with Media Center, forget it!  My sister's Nano accepts pictures beautifully and I can picture myself making a smartlist with a few pictures, which can be resize with MC, and hardly take any space!  It's just nice to have a few pictures on it for general, light viewing.
5) Video.  Like pictures, it requires the special software so I don't even worry about this.  It would be great if I could transfer some of my video podcasts to my Sansa but it's not worth all the hassle and the main reason is because I would have to update it daily.  If I watch a podcast and delete it, then I'd have to copy a new one over.  MC could automatically handle this for me with a nicely crafted smart list.
6) Capacity.  Isn't really a concern since both players have a 2,4, & 8GB model.  I guess the 6GB model is useful for those who want a strange capacity--or me who bought before the 8GB was available.
7) Ratings.  Does the Sansa transfer ratings as amazingly as the Nano does?  I know it is a lot more work to rate songs on the Sansa and if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't even show the ratings when viewed.  This is unacceptable.
8) Backlight.  Why can't they make it fade?  lol.  It's just a nice touch!  I know it takes more components.
9) Would it violate patents to use Apple's click wheel or a similar touch wheel?  I like no moving parts when rotating the wheel compared to a rocking, plastic, wiggly wheel on the Sansa.
10) Colors.  Some buy simply because of a color so why can't they introduce 1-2 more colors?  Perhaps a white & blue/pink model.
11) When pushing the center button while playing a song, you can switch to various views including a cover art mode.  The Nano stays on this when selected.  I think all players should stay on the selected view unless the button is pushed again...the Sansa switches away from it!
12) It's a tough business.  I find the extra features unnecessary.  They should just copy the Nano in every possible way.  I don't need a radio!  I don't need voice recording.  Make the device slimmer and use your extra time (not having to make software for those components) making more useful features.  I may change my mind on the radio next time there is a difficult time--severe weather or whatever.

These two players are probably the top selling 2-8 GB flash players.  Any statistics on sales, guys?

Addition: It also seems like iPod support in Media Center is flawless and perfect.  Everything just seems to work perfectly.  My Sansa doesn't seem to transfer ratings, cover art no longer works (used to--may be because of Vista), playlists don't really work that I can tell, and photos don't work either.  All those things work perfectly on the iPod!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sandisk Sansa vs Apple iPod Nano Indepth Analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:27 am »

The nano doesn't do video.  I would characterize the nano integration with MC as very good.   However you can't apply smartlists rules that auto update on the nano itself, like in itunes and it doesn't auto maximize the number of songs synced to the ipod which I believe itunes.  But itunes compared to MC is like a yugo to a Ferrari.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

benn600

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:11:49 am »

Is the smartlist limitation because J River needs to reverse engineer the whole setup?  How did they get iPod compatibility in the first place?  What is involved?  Did it take a lot of R&D or does Apple make the details of their iPod database, etc public or for a charge?

Most people using MC care enough about their collections to probably avoid iTunes Music Store so they probably aren't losing sales there--they're just selling more iPods because the reason I want an iPod is because, apart from being (in some ways) a better player, it works better with MC.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:14:31 am »

I think JRiver revers engineered it, or else they know someone who used to work there.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

benn600

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:22:59 am »

lol.  That's the problem and blessing.  Since it's the iPod, MC's gotta work with it.  But any other player just doesn't have the market share to demand support.  I know they add support for about every player out there, but when little issues arise (perhaps even with the iPod), they just can't investigate everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up