INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Album Type" Question?  (Read 1878 times)

yooz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • **sorry 'bout my baaaad english knowledge**
"Album Type" Question?
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:02:52 pm »

Hello,

I'm just asking myself at what time the "Album Type" is filled in the lib. ?
I use to have two main music folders "sampler" and "artist",
to sort out the samplers I wish to look for all "Multiple Artist" Albums,
but if I have a "Single Artist Album" with only one song done by another artist it switches to "Multiple Artist"
- even if I fill in the "Album Artist" by hand with the MAIN Artist on this Album
....so MC12 is handling this album as "sampler"

..isn't it possible that if the hand typed "Album Artist" is all the same that mc12 will handle this as "Single Artist" Album?
To divide the to kinds?
And when is this calculation done?
When I write in the tags for the artist or every time when it shows up the files?

thx yooz

PS: Just recognized a minute ago, that the "Album Type" is switched to "incomplete" if not all files are in the same folder...whats that...I was thinking that MC is only analysing the tags and not the path to do this...this is not so nice cause now I'm not able to bundle albums again if they are spread over all my harddrive with this function ?!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: "Album Type" Question?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 02:37:38 pm »

After changing the Album Artist field the album is still a "multiple artists" album if it has more than one track artist.

However, you can use the "Album Artist (auto)" field for seeing the difference. If you have not changed the Album Artist field the "Album Artist (auto)" value is (Multiple Artists). If you add manually an "Album Artist" value the "auto" field displays automatically the same value.

You can create view schemes, smartlists and use searches that exclude or display only files that have the value (Multiple Artists) in the "Album Artist (auto)" field.

Include only:  [Album Artist (auto)]=[/(Multiple Artists/)]
Exclude:  -[Album Artist (auto)]=[/(Multiple Artists/)]
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 02:47:29 pm »

PS: Just recognized a minute ago, that the "Album Type" is switched to "incomplete" if not all files are in the same folder...whats that...I was thinking that MC is only analysing the tags and not the path to do this...this is not so nice cause now I'm not able to bundle albums again if they are spread over all my harddrive with this function ?!

You were thinking wrong. You should keep the album files in individual folders. 

This wiki page explains how it works:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums

However, the "incomplete/complete album" tag value is not very useful unless your albums are really missing tracks from here and there and you would like to rerip the missing tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

yooz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:00:47 pm »

Why am I thinking wrong If I want to bundle the files in one folder again, that are spread over my HD ?

Thanx for the expression

yooz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 03:13:46 pm »

Can You explain me this ?

The "Artist" is differing, all files in same folder, the "album artist"and the "album artist auto" all the same and it is showing me "Multiple artist album incomplete"??

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 03:35:21 pm »

Why am I thinking wrong If I want to bundle the files in one folder again, that are spread over my HD ?

Thanx for the expression

I just meant that you were thinking wrong by assuming that MC doesn't use the file location as one of the factors.

I have always kept my various single tracks in a couple of separate folders so they are not mixed with my full albums. I have sometimes used the incomplete/compete value for checking if my albums have missing files.

... and it is showing me "Multiple artist album incomplete"

Hmm... The value is "Multiple artists (complete)" in your screenshot, not incomplete.

Personally, I have only one problem with the current "complete album" logic. A couple of days ago I made the following request in the closed beta forum. Perhaps it is good to post it here too:

Request: detect single-track albums as complete
I ripped (recorded) some one-sided 12" vinyl records (DJ style remix singles). These records happen to contain only one track, but I can't make them appear inside my "complete albums" view schemes. It seems that MC needs at least two tracks to detect an album as complete. In my opinion these albums are complete because the only album track is in a separate folder and has correct track numbering (i.e. "1").

I searched my library and found that I also have at least two complete full-length CD albums that are doomed to be incomplete: Mike Oldfield's Amarok and Juno Reactor's Luciana. Both albums contain only one about an hour-length track.

MC should detect an album as complete if the only track is in a separate folder and has the track number 1.

I have not tested how MC handles a situation in which a multi-disc album has two or more one-track discs that are ripped into the same folder (each file having the track number 1 and the correct disc number), but also albums like this should be detected as complete.

Alternatively you could allow manual editing of the Complete Album field value. (An edit in this field would need to also automatically change the (complete)/(incomplete) part in the Album Type field.)

In addition, possibly the 10 minute total duration requirement should be removed too. A single-track album can be shorter (or a CD single with two or three tracks etc).

yooz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

sorry it was incompete one minute before...one tracknummer was missing and I typed it in...but anyhow I'd prefer if albums like this would show up as "single artist" cause I typed in the "Album Artist" manually for all files the same; wouldn't You agree that this is a better handling

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 04:22:42 pm »

sorry it was incompete one minute before...one tracknummer was missing and I typed it in...but anyhow I'd prefer if albums like this would show up as "single artist" cause I typed in the "Album Artist" manually for all files the same; wouldn't You agree that this is a better handling

Actually, no. I prefer to see the type as "multiple artists" whenever the album has more than one artists. I always tend to override the default "Album Artist (auto)" value of my multiple artist albums with something more meaningful. I use things like the DJ's name or the record label's album series name. This does not change the fact that the album contains more than one track artist.

If the album is clearly a single artist album that has some songs with guest artists I add the guest artists to the track names, like this:

Artist: U2    Name: When Love Comes To Town (with B.B. King)

Here's an example of my tagging style:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38289.msg260461#msg260461
Pages: [1]   Go Up