INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Additional Spacing  (Read 1051 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Additional Spacing
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:02:21 pm »

Could various spacing items be added to the Right Click View Titles (Name, Artist, Album) > Customize Current View...such as these:

Best idea yet:  When this window is brought up, click Add.  You then see Field >.  Perhaps you could add Separators > and make a nice list of separators for lists.  This would fit nicely because having only one expanding menu seems unnecessary.

1) An item that would add 1, 2, or 3 blank lines between album changes?  This would make it a lot easier to see album separations at a glance.  Perhaps they could be called:
1 Line For New Album
2 Lines For New Album
3 Lines For New Album

2) Same with artist changes:
1 Line For New Album
2 Lines For New Album
3 Lines For New Album

3) Minimum album height.  This is useful when using large thumbnail.  If only one, two, or three songs are returned by the search, then the large thumbnail shows up very small:
Fit large thumbnail
Minimum of 5 Lines per Album

4) Can the large thumbnail be made larger?  It is reasonably large but I would like to increase it even more, say 25-50% larger.  On a 1600x1200 screen, I have plenty of width to increase its size.  What about adding:
Image (larger thumbnail)
Image (largest thumbnail)
And these would do two things:
a) Right now, the large thumbnail will take up 6.5 lines (songs) of height.  If there are enough, the larger could take 8 lines and the largest could take (up to) 10 lines.
b) This then reverts to the previous questions.  If an album has fewer than 6.5, 8, or 10 songs (lines), then I was hoping the above ideas would add blank lines so the thumbnails could become larger.

My chief desire (above everything else) is to just be able to add blank lines between albums.  This could be added to the location described but I realize it would not fit the standard assumption--those items all apply to the horizontal list of attributes (name, artist, album, rating, etc).  What I am asking for would add vertically...as if there were more songs but they would simply be blank and clicking on them would do nothing.

prod

• Play nice
Re: Additional Spacing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:00:34 pm »

I agree. That would be a nice look. You're basically looking for a similar display available in iTunes and WMP12, where you have the album art to the left and track listing to the right, with a space or line between each album, right? Not sure how much I'd use it, but I'm sure it'd look darn good.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:38:18 pm »

Is the goal of your suggestion to make it easy to see album changes in the grid display?  Having one or more blank lines between albums could help the eye see album breaks.

Another idea (not fully thought out yet) would be to have the line colors alternate between albums rather than between tracks.  This idea would have the advantage of not adding any extra spacing to the grid display, and may still give our our eyes the album break you're looking for.

The little album covers do provide the album grouping to help our eyes see the album groups, but it's not really a good solution, the little album covers don't provide enough contrast between album covers all the time.

Anyway just a thought to think about.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 06:20:24 pm »

This really could be a more global setting and not merely for each view.  It could be another setting in the preferences with a few options.  I really like your idea.  Colorize the album backgrounds.  Use the standard overlay for one album and then darken the next album...repeat.  Just like they oftentimes colorize every odd item in a list, this would colorize every album.

Great feature idea!  WMP11 and iTunes have it, MC's gotta have it (and it's a good feature).
Pages: [1]   Go Up