INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some UI requests  (Read 1062 times)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Some UI requests
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:22:40 pm »

I've used MC 11 for about a year and tried MC 12 for awhile now.  I use MC, love it and recommend it on the net. However, I have several requests for UI changes:

1. Don't switch to showing the recently ripped playlist after each CD is ripped.  This is an annoyance when I'm ripping more than one CD.  It can produce dangerous behavior too.  If I'm typing tag info at the time that MC 12 switches, it then interprets my keystrokes in the context of the recently ripped view.   Several times, that has caused MC to make unwanted changes to previously ripped files.  This problem has been discussed by several people in MC 11 forum threads. I have not seen any response from JRiver people.

2. Bring back the combo box for the Name taq.  When I rip clasical CDs, I enter all the tag info manually (I don't use YADB since it doesn't put Composer and Performer info where I want them.)  I name movements of symphonies and concerti with standard short names like "1- Allegro" and "2 - Adagio".  In MC 11, after I enter movements names for a few CDs, I can just select most movement names from the combo box list or rely on auto-completion by MC.  You seem to have taken away the combo box for the Name tag in MC 12.

(I rip files into a "new rips" library initially so there isn't a problem about the list in the combo box getting too long.)

3. Give me another option in Options/General/Play Button.  When I select a single music file or a group of files and click the Play button, I want to play only the selected files to be played and not the rest of the visible files.  If no files are selected, I want all visible files played.  This would be consistent with MC 12's behavior when I edit tags in the tag window.  It would also be consistent with the way the Windows UI works in general: select some objects and issue a command that operates on what is selected.

4. Let me view the Playing Now list without losing my place in the view scheme I'm using. 

(I stated what I want for 4. in functional terms.  Here is my opinion about the way it should work: I don't think that the Playing Now view should be in the tree.  I'd like to click on a button or the equivalent in the area where the info for the file currently playing is displayed or near the Play, Pause, etc. buttons and get a drop down display of the Playing now info.  A pop-up window would be functional but probably too modal.)

I hope this gets a reaction from one or more JRiver people and from other MC users.

Bill

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Some UI requests
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:14:40 am »

4. Let me view the Playing Now list without losing my place in the view scheme I'm using. 
Did you try the "Back" button ? I'm not sure but I think it takes you back to the view scheme you were viewing and keeps the exact place where you were, your selections in the panes, etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:51:57 am »

Did you try the "Back" button ? I'm not sure but I think it takes you back to the view scheme you were viewing and keeps the exact place where you were, your selections in the panes, etc.

Also the backspace key.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:57:56 am »

Also the backspace key.

I tried both the Back button and the Backspace key.  They do just what I want.

Thanks, Raphoune and Jim.

Any comments on requests 1-3.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up