INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging And Such  (Read 1197 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Tagging And Such
« on: February 22, 2007, 04:16:50 pm »

When I import 10 albums of a MP3 database all have the same file format. Before I import them I adapt all names to my DB rules, import a front cover from the Internet and so on (I know that can be done part automatically, but I found out it's easier to do it myself and upload them finally to the public database, because most of my front covers are anyway missing). Anyway, my mp3-file names are "01 Name Of Song.mp3" and so on.

Now when I import these folders, a part of them ends up in the database as "Name Of Song.mp3" and a part as "01 Name Of Song.mp3".

Can someone tell me how I can import them so that it's always "Name Of Song.mp3" in the DB and "01 Name Of Song.mp3" in my disk folder???

Do I have to eliminate tags before importing? I know that I can eliminate them after importing and re-create them with my rules. Help is appreciated... (it might be that this information is somewhere buried in a manual or here in the forum, I just couldn't find it)

globetrotters1

Re: Tagging And Such
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:36:29 pm »

oh, I forgot to mention that with one folder (album) MC is just importing ONE track, the rest of the 12 tracks are nowhere to find... where might the problem be?

Sounds a bit dumb, but soon I'll be a pro with your help, thanks :)

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 04:47:53 pm »

trotter--

Since you're adapting all the names, is there some pressing reason why they can't be "01-Name Of Song.mp3" or
"(01) Name Of Song.mp3" or similar?  Because  I'm not seeing an identifiable separator otherwise, and I'm surprised you're getting even half your songs assigned correctly.

EDIT:  I guess I'd better back up a bit (that's a fancy way of saying "oops").  Filenames aside, are you positive that the uncooperative tracks have proper track # tags?  If yes, try doing a libray tools/update from tags on ONE file.  If that helps, I would do that on all the naughty ones.  And no, you shouldn't have to futz that much, but somebody smarter than me will have to explain why the problem is cripping up in the first place.

If not, this is why I name my files with bullet-proof separators, so the tags can be darned at will.  I've made a high art out of fool-proofing, of necessity.  With rich filenames I can get back a lot tag of the info that I periodically throw away.

globetrotters1

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:11:44 pm »

I'm a programmer myself and I want a clear structure in my database. So I wrote a little program fixing all the strange name variations in a folder and its subfolders - so that they match each other. Finally it's just easier to find everything (probably it's just an excuse of a perfectionist  ;D...)

I saw some mp3 databases which were just a real chaos...

I just want to know where these inconsistencies come from. Is it a tag problem of existing tags stored in the mp3 files?

My files on disk (so that they are in the track order) should be "01 Name Of Song.mp3"
and should end up in the MC12 DB as name "Name Of Song"

that works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't... only question is: WHY?

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:31:46 pm »

Did you try looking at the Track # tag?  Because that's where I would look to find any inconsistency in track numbering.  As for your filename, I can see that it's consistent, but I can't see a separator there. 

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 06:27:36 pm »

jgreen...

thanks for the hint - just tell me, is it possible to switch off the tag analyzing feature in MC12 completely when importing existing mp3 folders?

If this is possible, then I think I can just import the stuff, erase the included tags and re-build them based on the file names and such. Would help a lot!

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up