INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win2k flac plugin for MC12  (Read 5111 times)

jmx

• Recent member
Win2k flac plugin for MC12
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:14:54 am »

(I started this thread on the MC12 forum, then realized it should probably be here. )

I can't get the MC12 flac input plugin to install on my win2k sp4 system. (I'm running MC12, 0.164)

I've tried 2.1.2 and 2.1.3, and neither will install. I've tried adding the plug-in via the "Manage Plug-ins"  screen (inside of MC12) and also by executing the in_FLAC.mjp file, both with MC12 running and not running. I've even tried cheating by copying over the dll when MC isn't running.

When clicking on the .mjp file, the error box says "Cannot load plug-in" and tells me the pathname to the MC12 plugins directory. It then tells me "Failed to install package" and tells me the pathname to the .dll that the mjp was trying to load. (The .dll is there btw).

When using the MC Plugin manager, after I click on the in_FLAC.dll , it just gives an error box with "failed to install plug-in".

I turned on logging, then tried all of the above, but there's nothing in the log about flac or any dll.

I have been able to use the  Plugin mgr to load an in_FLAC.dll  that comes with the flac 1.1.4 package. That plug-in works fine for playing .flac files, but it does not read the tags.

btw, I also have a  MC12.164 setup on  a XP system, with flac 2.1.3, and everything works fine.
It seems to be completely win2k specific, and is very reproducible.

Another thing I tried is this:
   - use Plugin mgr to install in_Flac.dll version 1.1.4 (from flac install pkg)
     (putting in_Flac.dll into JRiver/MediaCenter/plugins directory)
   - exit MC12
   - get in_Flac.dll from In_FLAC v 2.1.3 zip archive, and copy it on top of
     the previously mentioned in_Flac.dll
  - restart MC12

When I do this, MC starts fine, but when I try to play  a .flac file, MC complains that it can't play
the file, and that I should check to make sure the path to the file is correct.

Are there any runtime dlls that in_FLAC.dll depends on?

Could there anything XP-centric in the code for the dll  - or the way it's built?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Win2k flac plugin for MC12
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 09:25:02 am »

Did you try reading scthom's posts?  He has a link to the latest flac plug-ins in his signature.

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 09:29:03 am »

yes -  those exact plugins are the ones that won't load.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 09:43:46 am »

On my w2ksp4 system I just loaded the flac input plugin v 2.1.3 and encoder v 2.1.1. I downloaded the zips, unzipped them to a folder and ran the mjps with MC v12 running. It worked without a hitch. I also encoded a file in flac format and played it back without a problem.

I'd look for something that is preventing you from writing the registry, a virus checker perhaps.

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 10:35:04 am »

I'll try disabling AVG & SpyBot(Resident)  and then retry running the .mjp file.

Does running the .mjp file to install the plugin do something more than installing the dll via the MC Plugin Mgr?

I was able to use the Plugin Mgr to install other versions of in_Flac.dll  (1.1.2 & 1.1.4, from flac distributions),
with both AVG & SpyBot running, but that method did not work for any of the MC12 in_Flac.dll versions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 11:14:37 am »

You can open an mjp file with notepad to see what it does.  MC executes the commands in it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 11:37:03 am »

Also, if there are existing dlls with the same names in the plugins directory from a previous install you can rename them and try again. It could be the existing ones are unwritable for some reason (in use, set read-only, installed as different user, whatever).

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:43 pm »

I think it's something to do with the actual dll.

I _completely_ reinstalled win2k (clean, from ms install CD) and SP4, then installed mc12.
Double clicking on the .mjp file does the same thing as before.

Ive installed all of the required win2k updates, including IE6.

Do I need .Net  (1.1 or 2.0) or WM Player 9?

scthom

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:49:02 pm »

I think it's something to do with the actual dll.

I _completely_ reinstalled win2k (clean, from ms install CD) and SP4, then installed mc12.
Double clicking on the .mjp file does the same thing as before.

Ive installed all of the required win2k updates, including IE6.

Do I need .Net  (1.1 or 2.0) or WM Player 9?

.Net is not required.
WMPlayer is not required.
I static-linked all of the MS VisualStudio development files so you shouldn't need any run-time dll's.
Did you check the registry to see if gets installed correctly?  (Use regedit)

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 10:50:41 pm »

When I run the mjp file, the DLL is copied to the plugins dir, but the entry is not getting installed into the registry.  Also, nothing shows up in the MC logs, or system event logs  (app/sec/sys).  I also turned on the dbg view output & ran debugview. No errors get reported.

If I unzip the 2.1.3 package, and then replace the 2.1.3 in_flac.dll with the in_flac.dll from the 1.1.4 distribution, then run the .mjp file,
the DLL is copied and the new entry shows up in the registry. In this case, MC will play .flac files, but can't read the tags :(
(fwiw, my previous statement about the registry looking fine was with respect to this test case. I apoloize if this created confusion)

If I shutdown MC, then copy over the 1.1.4 DLL in the MC plugins directory with the 2.1.3. DLL, and restart MC, MC is not able to play .flac files.
(the error message says something about checking the path and/or permissions)

I hafta say this is driving me nuts. I really want to commit to MC, but flac support on win2k is pretty important to me.
This old system has lots of disk space and  really good audio, so it's perfect for a music server. And I ain't dropping $100+ just to get xp.

I'm pretty geek savvy (I write windows kernel device drivers for a living), so if there is any dbg stuff I can try, let me know.

scthom

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:20 am »

Wierd.

Well, as bob said, it worked fine for him using exactly the same files (at least the install anyway, not sure what he played or tagged).  Here's a few thoughts...

1.  If MC will play the flac's, then the decoder plugin is installed (registered) correctly.  There are IVersion and File Description keys in the registry that MC uses for this.  If the dll doesn't match the required IVersion for the MC version, then it won't install and will give errors like you describe.  The File Description key is used to figure out what file type can be played.

2.  MC installs the decoder plugin by itself, I just tell it the IVersion and the File Description when it queries the "InputSource" function.  Only the encoder plugin is self-registering.

3.  You probably shouldn't mix and match the v1 and v2 plugins.  They are meant for different JRReader.dll implementations and you may find yourself deleting files without warning (don't ask -- JRiver changed the implementation midstream instead of just implementing a 2nd reader version).  I also use a specific registry key for the settings (HKCU\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Plugins\Input\FLAC).  MC has generally been pretty good about looking in old "Media Center 11" keys for older plugins that register in the wrong location, though.

So if the install is the problem, I believe it's in MC's court, not the plugin. 

As for tagging once installed...

1.  Decoder plugins have two "halves", one for playback, one for tagging.  The tagging (FileInfo) portion may be failing on Win2k.  But I believe my source is built for Win95+.  Could be within the FLAC library or within the JRReader implementation.
2.  I've been meaning to implement a debug option so that users can turn on debug for themselves, but not done yet.  I can email you a debug build if you'd like (about 1 MB).  Send me a PM with your email.  It will generate a lot of files, and it will be difficult to remote-interpret what they are doing.
3.  I don't have a Win2k test bed, so impossible for me to test here.  Same for Vista, in case anybody wants to know.

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:43:06 pm »

I'm game for trying a dbg version. PM is on the way.

btw, does MC modify the registry before or after loading the DLL?

scthom

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:41 am »

btw, does MC modify the registry before or after loading the DLL?

All:

jmx tried a debug version and it appears the DLL wasn't even loaded by MC, or perhaps the registry entry couldn't be created.  The order of operations asked about above is kind of important to figure out how to proceed.

Matt/Gateley/Bob?

Buehler?

Anyone?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 09:11:05 am »

This is just a guess, but try to run the tool at dependencywalker.com on the DLL.  This sounds like a DLL that won't load because it requires something not on the system.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:34 am »

I'm not at home, so I don't have access to my Win2kPro box, but I have an XP Pro system right here.

I don't have MC loaded on this system, but when I run Depends on the 2.1.3 In_FLAC.dll,
it complains that it can't find MSJAVA.DLL, and it puts a little red hash box next to MPR.DLL,
but I haven't determined what that means yet. (btw, I'm a kernel geek, so any tips on
how I should be running Depends would be appreciated.)

I realize this may have very little bearing on my Win2kPro box, but I thought I'd let you know what I found,
just in case it rings any bells.

thanks for the help!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 12:55:50 pm »

My win2k sp4 box has msjava.dll. I did a search or two to see if that missing dependency is important. I looks like one may get that error with a YELLOW check and it's not fatal. Maybe Scthom has more info??

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 01:02:09 pm »

Yup. It's yellow. My bad.

I'll have to wait until I get home to see what Depends says about my Win2k system.

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:45:23 pm »

I figured it out.

Using the Dependency Walker tool, I determined that my Win2k installation could not find these objects:
  - GDIPLUS.DLL
  - APPHELP.DLL

I found a GDIPLUS.DLL here 
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

I found a APPHELP.DLL from my XP system (in windows\system32)

I copied both of them to winnt\system32, ran the .mjp file, and it installed fine !!!!

I started MC, and there are the flac files, with the proper tags, and MC plays them just fine.

(fwiw, the .mjp exec worked with just the gdiplus.dll, but I copied in apphelp.dll, hoping that
will help me avoid any further future troubles)

At any rate, I don't know where those dlls are supposed to come from, but you may want to add the .net path
into the dll search path. Or not. Whatthehell do I know bout user space.)

Daddy will now celebrate with another glass of port and crank up some flac (Scott Miller & The Commonwealth)

thanks for all the help!

scthom

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 08:59:46 pm »

I think I need to run that DependsWalker...

I don't know why msjava.dll would be required.  Obviously some function linked in.

gdiplus.dll is needed for image processing.

apphelp.dll sounds like one needed by one of the default base objects, of which I am not implementing anything.

I need to clean that up.

Thanks, everyone.  Glad it's working.

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 07:21:30 am »

The install worked as soon as I copied gdiplus to winnt\system32, so I think gdiplus may be the only one req'd.

I copied over apphelp just in case it might be needed later. I still haven't copied over a msjava, so I don't think
it's really required.

Pages: [1]   Go Up