INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tab View Discussion  (Read 5355 times)

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
Tab View Discussion
« on: February 27, 2007, 04:40:05 pm »

So, the new tab feature in 12.0.179 is awesome! Personally, I think this is a great addition that is too hidden and should be brought to more attention within MC.

I think tabs should be at root level under "View" instead of grouped w/ 'spit view' because tabs are not really split views in my opinion..and then you could bypass the option of how many split views you use, and opt for the unlimited tab usage like in Firefox. Speaking of which, the tabs should behave like Firefox in that there are close buttons, open new tabs buttons, and there is the ability to put (drag) tabs in different orders on the tab bar.

So, what say you, MC users?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tab View Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

The FF analogy echoes comments made in the Beta Test Forum when Tabs were first dropped on us.  Pretty much everybody loves them, and wants them to go further.  I've got my fingers crossed. 

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:51:09 pm »

Yes, in nerdy gamer speak..

TABS FTW!!

C.

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 06:36:06 pm »

I also like the tabs and hope they remain in. I agree that they should be disassociated from the split view. In fact it should probably be possible to split the view on an individual tab.

There are a couple of other things I'd like to see. Someone mentioned in another thread that Ctrl+Tab should switch between tabs, and I agree. Preferably cycling in most recently used order.

MC remembering the tab state between sessions would be nice too.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 06:42:50 pm »

I agree.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:50:32 pm »

^ agree also

need more tabs  :)
. . . the game is rigged

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:13:24 am »

marcusaschneider

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 05:07:21 am »

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 10:18:35 am »

I'm still having a tough time liking the split view.  the problem is that even on a large UXGA monitor (1600x1200), I feel cramped when I cut the viewing space in half.  And tabs, what do you guys use them for?

If you have a tab open with a playlist and a tab with Playing Now, is tab switching instantaneous?  Perhaps it would be useful on my Not Rated playlist which randomly picks 20 songs.  That way, the tab would keep the 20 songs constant until I rate them all (and allow me to switch views without losing the unique playlist generation).

goose2

• World Citizen
Re: Tab View Discussion, detach?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:49:10 am »

I too find the split view with tabs useful, but space on my dual monitors could be much better utilized if one or more of the views could be dragged to my other monitor. There must be a way to detach one or more views to do this....yes? Vid card is an ATI Radeon 9600 something or other, catalyst drivers.....vga and dvi outputs.
Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:30:52 am »

I'm still having a tough time liking the split view.  the problem is that even on a large UXGA monitor (1600x1200), I feel cramped when I cut the viewing space in half.  And tabs, what do you guys use them for?

If you have a tab open with a playlist and a tab with Playing Now, is tab switching instantaneous?  Perhaps it would be useful on my Not Rated playlist which randomly picks 20 songs.  That way, the tab would keep the 20 songs constant until I rate them all (and allow me to switch views without losing the unique playlist generation).
Limited screen real estate, even on a 1680 x 1050 widescreen, is also why I never found any real use for splitting the view in half. Couple that with the limitations imposed by the global nature of the search bar, and I never went back to it.
What I did in the days before tabs, was to drag the view splitter down so that the bottom view was completely hidden, which gave me two full workspaces to mess with. Tabs have made this approach (which I could never quite manage to explain effectively) a whole lot easier to realise.
Tabs become very handy when it comes to managing different media types. Sure, strictly speaking, it's all one library, but in my mind's eye, my image library and my audio library are seperate things. They need different workflows and workspaces.

So, I kick off some music, then delve into my image library... some time later, I notice a track playing that has a slight tagging error that should be corrected now because with the best will in the world, 'later' means it won't get done!! or perhaps a track plays that makes me want to hear a particular album now...

Without the tabbed views, any of these audio related tasks would most likely result in my losing my place in my image library, but with tabbed views, it's just a simple mouse click to bring up the audio library in a different tab, do what's needed, then switch tabs and be back to work in my image library, which will be in the exact place I left it previously.

I guess, if you ever find yourself wanting to do something, but don't really want to leave the screen you're at either, then you found yourself a reason to use tabs.
My instinct was telling me that MC12 won't ship with tabs. Instead, they'd be used as the draw for v12.1 or v13. However, they've received such a rapturous reception, I'm not so sure now. The collective grumbling would be very loud in comparison to JRiver's "well, we did warn it was only experimental" ;) :D

-marko.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 05:47:30 am »

Please keep the tabbed browsing!
thx

benn600

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 07:37:58 am »

I sincerely doubt they would just throw tabbed browsing out now.

I would like to see the tabs more built in to the skin.  Basically, follow the shiny buttons model and add shiny tabs.  That probably means changing the skin model and other skins would have to be updated to include this image.  But a fall back would be great, too.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 01:26:14 am »

I can't figure out where to enable this friggin tab's! :'(

Can someone please assist a dumb ass blindfolded sucker?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 01:30:54 am »

Sure.

Go to:

View-->Split View-->Check Tabs

Like anything, it's easy when you know the answer.  Don't feel bad - this is not documented.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 01:41:29 am »

Thanks a bunch, Magic_Randy. But this does not make anything happen to my views. Somethings else i have to change/use in order to make it change?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:57:54 am »

Finally found it. For any others:
"View" -> "Split views" -> "Show (any other than 1) views", must also be set.

What about using "Ctrl - t" as a shortcut key for opening another tab, and making it able to take more than 3?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 01:59:22 am »

Thanks a bunch, Magic_Randy. But this does not make anything happen to my views. Somethings else i have to change/use in order to make it change?

I'm not sure what version you are on, and the behavior is different across versions as this is still an experimental feature.

So first of all, you have to be on a minimum of 12.0.179 to see this feature. 

If my first suggestion did not work, also do the following:

Go to:

View-->Split View-->Check Tabs
View-->Split View--> Check Show 3 Views

The reason I say this is that tabs are just another way of displaying multiple split views.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 02:03:14 am »

As i guess you see, i found it. But thanks for the help:)

Haven't used split views before, so all this was kinda new to me.

But thanks again.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 03:09:55 am »

I must be terribly dumb - but i dont even find a "Split View" item under my "View" Menu in version 179

What am I doing wrong ??

gappie

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 03:25:44 am »

is not dumb. look here:

options>general>advanced>features>enable split view.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 03:39:45 am »

Thanks, really well hidden :-))

benn600

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 12:18:48 pm »

Ctrl + T switches between zones.  Sorry!  I use a special extra button on my mouse for Ctrl + T, Ctrl + W, and Middle click.  It's a mouse with Zoom +, Zoom -, and 100% but I set those three buttons to those settings.  They are great because Ctrl + W even closes a lot of programs so it works very nicely.  I miss that button when I'm using another mouse.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 10:27:30 am »

Tabbed browsing is Awesome.  Much faster view shifting than the old way.  I would sure like to see more tabs available ... maybe a total of 5 to 7 ...  that would be great.  Thanks again JRiver.  MC12 is terriffic.

marrahm

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 03:07:35 pm »

The tab view is fantastic.  As a firefox user, I find it really easy to use and could be a very flexible tool for the users.  Anything you can do to stick with the firefox "standards" for tabbed browsing would be great.  Things like ctl-T, use of middle mouse button to close, etc. would be great.

And what about having the ability to build in "sticky" tabs that would open up every time I run MC?  That way I could have a tab for audio set to new pics, one for my favorite playlist, one for pics I'm sharing with family, one set to the interact forum, one for my favorite webfeed,  etc. 

thanks for everything MC12 is fantastic.
mike

benn600

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 04:46:26 pm »

Like I said, I have my mouse configured for the typical button configurations:

Ctrl + T opens new tab
Ctrl + W closes tab (and lot of applications)
Middle Click opens item in new tab...think about double middle-clicking on a playlist...it could open in a new tab
Ctrl + tab move right in tabs
Ctrl + shift + tab move left in tabs

My mouse has all of these buttons plus back/forward buttons.  They are so handy in Firefox and the close button will, generally, close most applications, too.  It would be great if application developers took these keys to heart and made good use of them and maybe special mouse buttons will become more useful instead of having only one use.  The way my mouse comes configured is a joke.

modelmaker

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 04:18:46 am »

I use the Tabs a lot like as that described by marko. I never really used the split views much.

I also agree with others about separating Tabs from Split View, they should have equal status.

I totally agree with Benn600's idea, "I would like to see the tabs more built in to the skin. Basically, follow the shiny buttons model and add shiny tabs."
That would really be slick!

The "sticky" tabs across sessions and builds would also be excellent. I would like to decide when to delete or close something.

The Tabs are the best new feature since the days of MC9.1! Super!. I think I can finally keep the Tree closed unless I really need it... Jay.

Listening to: 'Every Day' from 'Trouble in Shangri-La'  (2001) by 'Stevie Nicks' on Media Center 12*

*Is there any way to add the album (year)date automatically to the "Copy Listening To"?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 06:29:17 am »

Hi All
Just like to give my thumbs up to the Tabs in MC. Makes it very easy to pop back and forth in the library. I can have 6 running here which is excellent for the moment.
Cheers Tangodude
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 07:00:54 am »

Yes, I love it too.

The only thing that needs improving is that curretnly MC12 does not remember my open tabs once I close it. I would like to be able to re-open MC12 and have it remember/restore my tabs.

Cheers
BB

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 09:12:06 pm »

What about a tab for the tree.  Yeah?

benn600

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 11:02:23 pm »

What kind of tree?  Oak?

tessa

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 06:22:04 am »

I haven't seen any discussion about having the ability to switch between tabs via keyboard; nor is there any mention in the help file.

Ctrl-tab makes sense to me to use because Firefox (and other apps, I assume) use that mechanism to switch between tabs on Firefox.  I know there are other ones that do this,I just can't think of them at the moment. 

But otherwise, I think tabs are great in MC.

MrHaugen

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 12:06:06 pm »

I haven't seen any discussion about having the ability to switch between tabs via keyboard; nor is there any mention in the help file.

Ctrl-tab makes sense to me to use because Firefox (and other apps, I assume) use that mechanism to switch between tabs on Firefox.  I know there are other ones that do this,I just can't think of them at the moment. 

Good idea. Would save alot of time for remote users.

I love the split view with columns or rows even better though. But it is frustrating when you want to open a playlist (or something else) and the wrong view gets screwed up. There should be an ability to "stick" one or more of the split views so it never get's touched.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up