INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "parameter is out of range" message; Nomad Jukebox  (Read 1173 times)

BobM

"parameter is out of range" message; Nomad Jukebox
« on: August 28, 2002, 09:00:38 pm »

I have a Compaq Presario running Win 98 SE.  I recently downloaded MJ 348, which wouldn't allow me to rip CDs.  I did a post on it and got advice from several people.  The one that worked was the suggestion to reinstall aspi from the Win 98 SE disk.  However, I would like to point out what I believe to be an error in your FAQ on aspi.  The FAQ states that the command to extract the aspi file from the Win 98 CD is "extract /e."  When I tried that, I got an error message: "Could not create file in directory."  The switch that worked was l (for location).  I first created a folder on my c: drive, which I labeled "aspi."  I then extracted the aspi files as listed in the FAQ to that folder, by typing: "extract /l c:\aspi d:\win98\win98_44.cab wnaspi32.dll," etc.  After the 4 files were extracted to the aspi folder, I used the Windows Find utility on the Start button to find where the files were on my system and copied them to those locations, replacing the files that were there.  The other thing that I did, altho I don't know if it had any bearing on resolving the problem, was before reinstalling the files from Win 98 SE, I deleted from my Registry the Adaptec and Aspi folders that were installed when I downloaded from Adaptec the current version of aspi.

Now that I can rip with MJ, I'm having a problem with MJ being the default program for that function and would like to know how to reset either the program or my system so that MJ is not the default ripper and so that MJ does not start whenever I put an audio CD into my drive.

Lastly, I'm can't transfer files from MJ to my Nomad.  When I right click on a file and select Send to and select Nomad Jukebox, nothing happens.  Any suggestions would be apprciated.  My system settings are: Media Jukebox  8.0.355
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD K6 2 399 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 224 MB, Free - 89 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Steve

RE:
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 05:58:01 am »

BobM,

Thanks for the notes on ASPI, we will look into it.

In regards to Nomad Jukebox, click on the Nomad Jukebox icon to intiialize the player. Once you have done "Send-To" click on the root level Nomad Jukebox icon and you will see options and the ability to Upload the files. FYI, you can also send files by dragging and dropping them onto the Nomad Jukebox icon or appropriate playlist.

JohnT

RE:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 06:48:13 am »

Is it possible you had MJ running while you tried the extract command? That might explain why it couldn't overwrite the wnaspi32.dll file since it was in use by a program. I'll update the FAQ to instruct users to exit all programs before extracting the files from the windows disk.

As to the "auto play CD" question, you can go into the Settings/Options/File Associations dialog and uncheck the "Associate with audio CD's" option.

Thanks,
John T.

BobM

RE: MJ as default player
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 08:50:04 am »

Thanks to Steve and JohnT.  Steve, your suggestion for uploading files worked.  John, your's re "auto play CD" did not work.  I did as you instructed and rebooted but when I install a CD in the drive, MJ starts automatically and plays the CD.  In the Windows Registry under the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder, .mp3 sub-folder, the files are:

(Default)            "PlayCenter.MP3FILE"
        MJContentType.B...   "audio/mpeg"
        MJFileAssoc.BAK      "PlayCenter.MP3File"
        PlayCenter_Bak       "PlayCenter.MP3File"

Under the mp3file folder, shell sub-folder, command and play sub-sub folders, the file is:  

(Default)   '"'C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~2\mplayer2.exe" /Play "%'"'

I don't know if editing any of these or any other Registry entries would do the trick.  Please advise, and thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up