INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manage CUE files 'as files' with MC?  (Read 944 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Manage CUE files 'as files' with MC?
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:55:07 pm »

So I'm about 1/3rd of the way done with a massive library reorganization. Things are going well (gotta love using the rename files tool with expressions!), when I made a mistake and a realization...

Background--the majority of my files are stored as a single-file APE, a CUE file, and generated APL files. I've never used CUE files in MC before, only my APE tracks.

1) The mistake: I imported EVERYTHING on my media drive. This includes the CUE files. :( However, I've looked and looked and can't seem to find a way to actually remove the CUE files themselves from my library.

2) The realization: I'm moving nearly every file I own into a different directory structure. Ideally, this would include the CUE files--but without a way to see them in MC, it looks like I'm going to have to manually move nearly 1000 files from the old directory structure to the new one.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
brad

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Manage CUE files 'as files' with MC?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:34:12 pm »

1) The mistake: I imported EVERYTHING on my media drive. This includes the CUE files. :( However, I've looked and looked and can't seem to find a way to actually remove the CUE files themselves from my library.

Search for .ape; in the [Filename (name)] field or exclude files that have an empty value in the [Playback Range] field.

2) The realization: I'm moving nearly every file I own into a different directory structure. Ideally, this would include the CUE files--but without a way to see them in MC, it looks like I'm going to have to manually move nearly 1000 files from the old directory structure to the new one.

This is not directly possible because MC does not have an option for handling .cue files as documents instead of parsing the track info.

The following procedure may or may not be usable for you depending on how your files are organized now.

- Download and install the "A.F.5 Rename your files" tool from this site: http://www.fauland.com/af5.htm
- Search for .cue files with Windows Explorer.
- Drag the search results list to AF5.
- Change the filename extensions from .cue to .cue.txt with AF5.
- Import these *.cue.txt files to MC.
- Use the "Fill Properties From Filename" tool for adding the Artist and Album (etc...) tags from the current directory structure.
- Move the files with MC to the new directory structure. For making this easier you can create a new view scheme that can display documents besides the audio files.
- If you use cue files rarely you can leave these .cue.txt extensions as they are and correct them only when needed (e.g. make a temporary copy with the correct extension before burning a CD with an external burner). Probably this would make future moves easier.

However, if necessary you can easily change the .cue.txt extensions back to .cue. with the Find and Replace tool. If you use Auto-Importer you should first test how it handles .cue files that are imported as documents. At least you should untick the cue file type in the advanced folder options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Manage CUE files 'as files' with MC?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:49:30 pm »

Search for .ape; in the [Filename (name)] field or exclude files that have an empty value in the [Playback Range] field.

Thanks for this tip!

This is not directly possible because MC does not have an option for handling .cue files as documents instead of parsing the track info.

The following procedure may or may not be usable for you depending on how your files are organized now.

Oh, well, I guess MC can't do EVERYTHING... ;) Thanks for the workflow--it's very similar to how I just dealt with all my scattered cover art.

At least you should untick the cue file type in the advanced folder options.

Yeah...that was just a late-night mistake...

Best,
brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up