INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Conversion cache auto-update on tag change?  (Read 1000 times)

blewis

• Recent member
Will Conversion cache auto-update on tag change?
« on: March 08, 2007, 10:54:21 am »

I have an 80GB iPod which I am syncing my entire music library with.  The cache has been built over the last few days, but after doing that I went in and updated a bunch of tags.  Will the tag changes cause MC12 to re-convert those files before putting them on my iPod?  I want the new genre info to get moved over.  I have re-initialized my iPod, so nothing is on it right now.  I just want to know if I should delete my conversion cache and reconvert everything to ensure the tag changes take effect on the iPod, or should MC12 take care of that?  I don't want to waste a bunch of time transferring this over to the iPod only to be stuck with the old tag info in the currently converted files.

Thanks,
Bryan

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Will Conversion cache auto-update on tag change?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:29:42 pm »

The cache is loosely coupled.  You'll have to clear the cache and rebuild it.

kirkfrey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Will Conversion cache auto-update on tag change?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:13:34 pm »

Would it be possible to add a couple fields to the overall database that would increase the cache functionality significantly?  I am thinking if you added a field per song that pointed to the cached file and when the file was created/updated last.  this would allow you to do a quick compare of the current file (and its attributes) against the cached file, and recreate only those that have changed.

The problem I am having is that I had to rebuild my machine and am now having to recreate the whole cache even though the cached files still existed on a network share.  Its not a huge issue (2 days worth of having my iPod tied up though).

Another thought is to offer the ability to create the cache without having the device plugged in.  I have to have my iPod plugged in until the cache is refreshed and can’t use it for the couple days it takes to create the cache.  It would be nice just to launch off a process to create the cache and continue to use my iPod until its complete, then plug the iPod in and re-sync everything.  This would also be good for when I add a bunch of new music, it could automatically create the cached versions and I wouldn’t need to worry about the extra time that the convert takes when I pulg the iPod in.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up