INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing on VirtualPC  (Read 1480 times)

bspachman

Installing on VirtualPC
« on: August 28, 2002, 07:20:23 am »

I give up! I want my MJ on my Mac!

Okay, I can control MJ from my Mac using Glissando. I can see all my music files by using the OSX networking capabilities.

The problem for me is that all my music is in APE/APL format and there are currently no players for that format on the Macintosh.

No problem, says I, I'll install MJ in my Virtual PC.

No luck. The install program exited first in a command line window with an error about needing a Win32 environment. I'm running VPC with Windows 2000, so that message mystified me. Then I thought of all the hardware functions MJ accesses, so I installed ForceASPI on the Virtual PC.

This time running the MJ installer gave me a command line window error that said something about "Program too large for memory". I had given the VPC 256MB, so I upped it to 384MB...still no joy.

Anyone have any ideas?
Brad

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:Installing on VirtualPC
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 07:32:00 am »

Ditch the Mac?

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 09:43:16 am »

How about volunteer to do professional grade Mac porting work for J River  for a 4 months ;)

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 09:47:23 am »

bspachman,
They're just kidding.  We don't get many Mac people here so they're just competing for your attention.

We did get MJ going on a Mac a year ago using VirtualPC.  It was slow but it more or less worked.

I'm sorry but I can't help you on how to do it.  Did you try VirtualPC?

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 10:23:53 am »

Uh, oh. Jim's attention span is getting too short to finish reading posts!

Hmmm... actually it appears to have gotten so short that he hasn't finished reading the subject line! Must be too much attention on MJ9.

JimH

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 10:30:24 am »

doof, doof, doof

You mean this?

> Did you try VirtualPC?

I should have said, "Did you try calling VirtualPC?"
Jim Hillegass

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 11:00:46 am »

Ah, ok. So instead of a short attention span we just have a boring old typo.

I feel like pouting now.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 11:04:28 am »

And to add insult to injury, I just realized my own poor grasp of my native language led to this whole debacle.

"Did you try VirtualPC" is pretty much synonomous with "Did you try calling VirtualPC".

So rather than just pout, I'm now going to go hide in a corner, hang my head and shame...

...and pout.

JimH

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 11:38:44 am »

doof,
You need a beta to get your teeth into.
Jim Hillegass

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 11:45:09 am »

Yes... betas good.

Especially now that the summer is winding down.

bspachman

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 02:08:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.... :-)

If I had an ounce of programming skill in my body, I'd be volunteering to port all kinds of things to my favorite platform. I guess I'll search around the connectix website tonight to see if anyone has ideas there.

I guess I was primarily looking for an overview of what the installer is doing, what it's looking for, and what the error messages I received mean.

I realize that this is a deucedly poor way of playing music back, but unless someone want to give me an amp for multizone playback or create an APE plugin for iTunes, I'm stuck with it.

Of course, you could always modify the media server component to convert whatever audio format MJ was playing to a known streaming format, like Real or QuickTime....right?

Brad

bspachman

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2002, 08:57:38 am »

Okay, I bit the bullet & reinstalled VPC. Let me just say, as painful as keeping up with patches & service packs is on a real machine--picture installing all the fixes for Win2k, but taking 5 times as long!

Several hours later.... I downloaded the latest rev of MJ8 (360?) and tried to install. No problems whatsoever! No need for ASPI or other odd things.

It doesn't work well, though. My machine doesn't have the horsepower to get my music off the network & decompress & play it. With the buffer size set to the max, I could get about 10-12 seconds of audio before it had to rebuffer.

On an semi-related question: How do people deal with networked drives? If I have 2 PCs that run MJ, what's the most efficient way to share DBs, playlists, music, etc?

On my main server, I have my music on both the local C & D hard drives. I have my libraries stored in a separate folder on the C drive. When using the computer locally, there's no problems. If I use another machine to map network drives, I can point the network machine at the appropriate library path, but how do you deal with the music?

Best,
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up