INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I find the Library Update choice in Advanced Import Functions?  (Read 1435 times)

BenFeese

• Recent member
  • Always learning!

Please excuse this dumb question.  I have searched the help files and searched this site but cannot find an answer.
I am running Media Center 12.0.189. A goodly number of the links to my music files have become incorrect, due to external file changes in Windows Explorer, etc..  In earlier versions of MC, I recall a function I could click on that would check all links and either correct them or eliminate them if it was not possible to correct them.  I can find no such function now.  When I look everywhere I can in Help, all I can find is that you are supposed to be able to do that in Advanced Import Functions, an option within Tools|Import Folders.  There IS an "advanced" button there, but it seems to have to do only with setting file extensions for MC to include in the library.  I can find nothing that speaks of "updating" links. So, as it stands now, when I run Import Folders, MC brings in all new files very nicely, but does nothing to remove the old, incorrect links!

Can anyone guide me as to how do this?

Thanks!
Ben
Live Forever.....Be A Teacher!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I find the Library Update choice in Advanced Import Functions?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:10:53 am »

Try going to Tools > Options > Library and Folders > Options > Fix Broken Links:

see if that helps.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:11:44 am »

Or directly to: Tools > Auto-Import Options

Keep in mind that these two options are library wide and completely independent of the specified import folders. You cannot select which folders are maintained.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:32:13 am »

I left the door open for you on purpose...

every opportunity, right Alex? ;) :D

I'm on record as being in total agreement with you on this somewhere around here. I leave that for you while I go for expressions in the base path field!! LOL

BenFeese

• Recent member
  • Always learning!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:28:17 pm »

Thanks to both Marko and Alex B for taking the time to point me in the right direction (although Marko, I did not understand your second comment).

I really was seeking help on this issue, but....

I had a secondary motive.

I find again and again that MC Help tells me (often in great detail and with enthusiasm) THAT I can do such and such, but alas, often it does not give the explicit, step-by-step instructions for HOW I can enjoy these myriad opportunities.  For example in this case, the sequence would be Tools|AutoImport Options|Options|Fix Broken Links|Yes   (Note the nested "options" there).  Miss one step in this tree (and I did) and you've had it.  I hope you don't think me a helpless namby-pamby.  But for "Help" to really be helpful the "it can be done" part needs to be totally integrated with the "here is how you do it" part.  I am no great Windows admirer, but this is the philosophy often followed in Windows Help Files (also pop-up definitions).  I hope someone who writes the Help files for MC is reading this.

I lurk here on the forum from time to time and I am blown away by the technical detail about MC which you "mere users" (and I presume non-employees of JRiver) have accumulated.  That is great, and I am sure that JRiver treasures you greatly.  But it is difficult for a real novice, like me, to wade through these posts (after having exhausted the built-in MC help features, and having searched the forum for a solution to something I am sure "just can't be that complicated".  Often I get the feeling MC is targeted for, and only understood by, folks who eat, breathe and sleep MC 24/7.  Believe me, I am grateful there are folks like you guys who are out there on the cutting edge, and I thank you again.  But sometimes it is really hard to know how to navigate this great sea of knowledge and detail and find answers to my simple questions.

Again, sorry if I seem unappreciative...I really am not....just want to put in a cheep for us litle chickens! ;)
Ben
Live Forever.....Be A Teacher!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 03:05:02 am »

BenFeese, thank you for your comments.

1st of all, I should explain my second comment as it's completely off-topic, really just an 'aside' for Alex, who is not at all comfortable with the default behaviour of the fix broken links, update for external changes etc. options, and had been lobbying heavily to have the defaults changed. The way it's set out at the moment, it gives the impression that these options will apply to the auto-import folders specified, but this is not actually the case, they apply across the entire library. Alex keeps this very valid point to the forefront of everyones mind. As for me, I really want to be able to use expressions in the base path field of the rename from properties tool, so I bring that up every now and again too. Alex will have hopefully chuckled a little when he read that :)

Now, the help file.
Although I have not opened it for quite some time now, I'm pretty sure that MC12's current help file has not been updated since v11.1 was put to bed. There are now online help pages that are slowly developing into something that should be quite useful, as well as searchable, but so far, I'm not entirely convinced that it could become a replacement for the offline help file. Still, I think it's worth bookmarking though as there's already some quite useful, easy to get at info in there.

I wouldn't say you were being unappreciative. We get "RTFM" from all quarters, and for sure, it's frustrating when we do read it only to find it's out of date!! For now though, there's very little we can do about it, so if after searching you can't find what you want, just ask, we don't mind answering repeat questions if searches have drawn a blank, because searching can be a bit of an aquired skill all on its own!! A few of us keep bookmarks, so if the questions been asked before, you'll get a link (or a direct answer) pretty quickly, and if you don't ask, you may never know.

I can't say a whole lot more than that really. I'm sure JRiver are acutely aware of the out of date help file and will work out a solution in the near future...

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up