INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Question  (Read 2138 times)

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
  • What if we built a Large Wooden Badger.....
Tagging Question
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:27:53 am »

Apologize if this has been asked/answered before, but I did search through the board several times and never saw this topic addressed:

One of the few things I actually liked about Windows Media Player was the way you could use it to help fix the tags on your media library.  You just right clicked on a file, and selected, "Find Album Info."  You then got a nice little dialog box that showed you what fields it was searching on, and showed you a list of matches you could select from to update your file (or fix your search if was not finding anything).

In Media Center, I know I can right click on a file and select, Library Tools.... and then Lookup track info from YADB.  However, every time I have done that, haven't gotten a "hit" and the file's info stays the same.  It would be nice to see what it is keyeing off on for the search, and be able to adjust the parameters, see possible matches and select from them. 

Doable?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:07:10 am »

Apologize if this has been asked/answered before, but I did search through the board several times and never saw this topic addressed:

One of the few things I actually liked about Windows Media Player was the way you could use it to help fix the tags on your media library.  You just right clicked on a file, and selected, "Find Album Info."  You then got a nice little dialog box that showed you what fields it was searching on, and showed you a list of matches you could select from to update your file (or fix your search if was not finding anything).

In Media Center, I know I can right click on a file and select, Library Tools.... and then Lookup track info from YADB.  However, every time I have done that, haven't gotten a "hit" and the file's info stays the same.  It would be nice to see what it is keyeing off on for the search, and be able to adjust the parameters, see possible matches and select from them. 

Doable?

The YADB lookup is based on file fingerprints, I believe.  So it only looks for files that match exactly on a (somewhat) bit-by-bit level, unlike the WiMP version which just searches for the info you already have accessible.  That makes it a lot more reliable (if it gets a hit, it's really likely to be correct -- unless people are uploading bad info into YADB), but it doesn't get as many hits as the WiMP style system.

I really should upload my tag info into YADB...  ::)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:21:24 am »

The YADB lookup is based on file fingerprints, I believe.  So it only looks for files that match exactly on a (somewhat) bit-by-bit level...
It's based on a mathematical representation of the sound, so the bits don't need to match.  It works regardless of codec or bitrate.

Please upload your tracks and do it today!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:37 am »

It's based on a mathematical representation of the sound, so the bits don't need to match.  It works regardless of codec or bitrate.

Ahhh... Interesting.  I'm uploading them as we speak!   ;D

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:37:10 pm »

Understand (I think), different model....

However, is it possible at some point (say a future feature), to allow someone to browse what is in YADB through MC? 

I have a lot of MP3s, FLACs, etc. that have incomplete (at best) tags.  I would love to check them against the YADB database, but doing it "blind" worries me (especially since the few times I did right click on the track and tell it to check YADB, nothing came back)?  I actually liked the way I could do limited browsing of what WMP had. 

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:39:06 pm »

There is an undo feature, so you can undo the changes if you do not like them.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:12:52 pm »

Uploading here also... 37,738 tracks on the way  ;D

Michel.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 01:59:19 pm »

In using -- really for the first time ever -- the Submit Track Info to YADB function I discovered something notably unpleasant.  The process does not run in a background thread and blocks the entire application until it completes.  [Old Woman in Princess Bride]Boooooo![/Old Woman In Princess Bride]

Just submitting a few thousand tracks from one of my well-tagged genres is taking forever, and I can't listen to music or continue to tag other tracks.  If this were not the case, I'd happily add the process to my normal tagging procedures:  Otto imports the files --> I forget about them for a while --> I eventually get annoyed or motivated --> I get a bottle or two of wine --> I go to my main machine and sit down for a tagging session --> tag --> tag --> tag some more --> Rename Files From Properties --> Submit to YADB --> Repeat as needed.

Unfortunately, the current situation forces me to wait and type messages like this on Interact while YADB gets it's info.  While this works for today, I can guarantee that in the future I'll likely not be so patient (or verbose).   ;)  ;D

EDIT: On second thought... I'll probably always be verbose.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 02:03:23 pm »

In using -- really for the first time ever -- the Submit Track Info to YADB function I discovered something notably unpleasant.  The process does not run in a background thread and blocks the entire application until it completes.  [Old Woman in Princess Bride]Boooooo![/Old Woman In Princess Bride]

Just submitting a few thousand tracks from one of my well-tagged genres is taking forever, and I can't listen to music or continue to tag other tracks.  If this were not the case, I'd happily add the process to my normal tagging procedures:  Otto imports the files --> I forget about them for a while --> I eventually get annoyed or motivated --> I get a bottle or two of wine --> I go to my main machine and sit down for a tagging session --> tag --> tag --> tag some more --> Rename Files From Properties --> Submit to YADB --> Repeat as needed.

Unfortunately, the current situation forces me to wait and type messages like this on Interact while YADB gets it's info.  While this works for today, I can guarantee that in the future I'll likely not be so patient (or verbose).   ;)  ;D

EDIT: On second thought... I'll probably always be verbose.

Same here. I had to kill the MC process....

In the middle of one of those "intense" tagging session myself ;-). But a few hundred at time is OK, for now... Tonight I'll fire up the rest... Let's hope it will be done by the morning...  ;D

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:36:08 pm »

There is an undo feature, so you can undo the changes if you do not like them.

Undo is great, but when it isn't picking up anything or finding any matches, not much help.  As there could be something "odd" with the actual rip I have, so it doesn't match the "mathematical representation" of the sound that you have in the database, my rip won't match anything so I can't clean-up my tags.

It is just a pain for now.  I am going through and trying to get my album art all straightened out, it would have been great if I could have done the tags as well (again, I hate saying good things about Windows Media Player as it does so many things wrong, but the way it allowed me to browse, of sorts, its database, really helped me out).

MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up