INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View on old machines  (Read 936 times)

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
Theater View on old machines
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:36:19 am »

Hi there - i use a (very) old laptop as an MC client in the kitchen and it has been working very well on v11.

I've upgraded to v12 and everything works now except for Theater View (which i use a lot). It gives an error of "hardware cannot support 3D".

Now I understand that Theater View has lots of lovely visualisations in now, and that's great - but couldn't one of the skin options for it be an old v11 one that doesn't do 3D?

Here's hoping.....

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
Re: Theater View on old machines
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:47:32 am »

signed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View on old machines
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:29:49 am »

Unfortunately, J River has responded to this request a number of times.  It would be a major programming effort to build two separate render paths for Theater View, one that goes through Direct3D and one that doesn't.  It would mean that essentially all work done on Theater View would need to be duplicated.  And, all that additional effort would be to support old and outdated hardware which will soon go to that great computer resting ground in the sky.

So.... No, I wouldn't hold my breath.  If you need to use Theater View on an old machine that doesn't support the (relatively) minimal 3D graphics requirements of MC12's Theater View, and you can't upgrade the graphics (such as a laptop), then that's what MC11.1 is for.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up