INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging avi movie files  (Read 6495 times)

HarryW

• Recent member
Tagging avi movie files
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:05:43 am »

I am sure this has been covered so excuse me if i am asking a peviously answered question.
I have had no problem tagging Audio files for lyrics, cover art etc and they save to within each music file. Why is this not so in Video (Divx) files?
Within the Action window - tag button it states the image are saved externally at 
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Cover Art.

How do you get the DVD cover saved within the movie Divx file, so that i can copy movie file from home computer to laptop without losing the Movie cover art tagging?

Thanks for any help anyone can give
Harry

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging avi movie files
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:27:11 am »

I could be wrong, but I don't think that there is a 'Cover Art' (or similar) tag for AVI like there is in MP3.  When there is no tag to store the info, it just lives in the MC database.

HarryW

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:32:52 am »

Thanks BartMan for the quick reply!
Does that suggest if you move a avi movie from one computer to another u have to copy the dvd cover as well and add the art work to the MC12 database?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:34:18 am »

AVIs are not taggable.  They can contain a slight bit of metadata, but really it's a limitation of the AVI container format.  MKVs and OGMs are much more taggable, but I don't know how well MC handles in-file tagging of those formats.

Sidecar XML files would accomplish what you want, and have been requested before, but we didn't get much of a response.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:07:20 pm »

Yes, you would have to move the .avi file and the cover art and then assign the cover art on the 2nd system.

Sidecar files would be a great way to handle custom tags and non-tagable formats.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:42 pm »

AVIs are not taggable.  They can contain a slight bit of metadata, but really it's a limitation of the AVI container format.  MKVs and OGMs are much more taggable, but I don't know how well MC handles in-file tagging of those formats.

Sidecar XML files would accomplish what you want, and have been requested before, but we didn't get much of a response.

Is there a video file format that is taggable to same extent as MP3s or APEs?

Michel.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:19:06 pm »

MKV and OGM have built in tagging support.  MP4 does as well, though I'm not clear on if it's to quite the same extent.  There are probably others.

I'm not 100% clear on what in-file tags MC implements in these file types though.  Just because the container format is capable of it, doesn't mean that MC uses it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up