INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File association problem  (Read 1241 times)

MAM

File association problem
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:54:21 am »

I downloaded the trial and and then uninstalled it. Unfortunately, Media Center 12 has left its footprints all over my media files - now every one of these is tagged by Windows as being "Media Center 12" files. I don't like this. I want to know what type my files are, so I don't have to guess at things I've converted to other types. How can I get rid of this unwanted and unasked for problem?

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help a potential customer.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:35:28 am »

I can't fathom why anyone would go back to WMP ;), but I think all you have to do is go to WMP options/file associations check the file types you want WMP to be the default player.

When uninstalling MC just choose the "remove all registry entries" and "remove All Library entries".

MC does of course show media file types in the program.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

MAM

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:51:45 am »

I did click "remove all library entries" when I uninstalled. I am not returning to WMP - I don't use WMP. I have reassigned what program opens the files. I am saying that Windows XP is now tagging every mp3 and AVI file I own as a MediaCenter.12.file. I have managed to get the extensions into the titles now, so that helps me identify them; but even if I were eventually to have forty dollars sitting around not being used, and decided to plump them down to JRiver, I don't admire the fact that the use of Media Center will retag, and indeed has retagged, all my file types without asking.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:14:14 am »

You could read more about file associations on google.  MC is pretty conservative about what file types it associates with, and you can change it at install if you choose to.

Modelmaker's advice is correct.  Just re-install MC12 and do the uninstall as he says.

You can probably set most of them the way you want in the settings for any other media player.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:44:08 am »

I did click "remove all library entries" when I uninstalled. I am not returning to WMP - I don't use WMP. I have reassigned what program opens the files. I am saying that Windows XP is now tagging every mp3 and AVI file I own as a MediaCenter.12.file. I have managed to get the extensions into the titles now, so that helps me identify them; but even if I were eventually to have forty dollars sitting around not being used, and decided to plump them down to JRiver, I don't admire the fact that the use of Media Center will retag, and indeed has retagged, all my file types without asking.

It might help to change your Windows folder view settings to show file extensions.  The Windows default is to hide them.

If you don't want a media player 'taking over' your files, you need to always install them using the custom option.  During a custom install, MC allows you to set what programs it associates with. 

To JRiver, I think the request here is to put the file association dialogs in the 'normal' install.  That would make the fact that MC will take ownership of these files more transparent to new users.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:53:15 am »

..I think the request here is to put the file association dialogs in the 'normal' install.  ..
It's there if MC has never been installed.

But there will always be people who want more (or less).
Pages: [1]   Go Up