INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cache as cache can  (Read 1871 times)

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
Cache as cache can
« on: March 24, 2007, 04:14:12 pm »

I've been building an MP3 cache for a long time by setting up an "MP3 Portable" folder and telling MC11/12 that it's a portable and that the whole library should be transferred.

I use it as the source for loading hand held players and for a Library Server so that neither has to do conversions from my lossless library in (all APE and FLAC).

I was excited at the idea that the HH cache might short circuit the two-MC-instances I need for this to work currently. Alas... as posted repeatedly, the HH cache is a "soft" thing and should be expected to be cleared regularly.

Why?

Why not allow a full, absolute cache and an option for the library server to serve from it as well?

In the posts it seems people are caching 100G regularly - which seems like a pretty good sized library of MP3 to me.

Why would I ask for this? 'Cause keeping the two JRMCs working and sync'd up is a pain and the progress you've made on the HH cache so far really looks to be in the right direction: auto-deleting and what-have-you.

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
Re: Cache as cache can
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:30:11 pm »

JimH, you seem to be here this morning (morning for me, anyway). Any comment? Ideas?

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:21:29 am »

class? anyone?

single Cache...

anyone?

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:15:34 pm »

It is not integrated with the database in any way.  It is a very simple implementation.

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 05:26:15 pm »

mmm... yeah, I did read some of those posts... but I'm not looking for integration, just that the portable cache might have an option to be "FULL" AND that the library server might be allowed to pull from that cache rather than re-coding every time a non-MP3 is played.

More "by chance" perhaps than through integration?

Two things:
1- make portable cache FULL, not uncontrollably dynamic (as I've seen described elsewhere)
2- make Library Server pull from that cache rather than re-code.

Does this make sense?

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:59:44 am »

DarkPenguin? you're the programmer of this, right?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:46:32 am »

One you get to a full cache I think it is easier to just encode new copies of the files.  Then adjust your views to show them or not.

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:28:52 am »

You're right. It is not too difficult to do it today. And I do: using the portable function.
The only challenge with that is that the portable function doesn't really keep the files "in sync" so if any change is made to a library field, it may cause the portable function to think it needs to be rebuilt - though it will take it as "duplicate" in the portable "to do" list. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that... but it still doesn't address the streaming or cache of portables.

Hey, if I'm the only one who's running lossless and wanting to also take lossy files portably and stream lossy files then clearly this is a silly thing for me to be asking.

If others are using the cache function, this seems like the ultimate direction of the cache.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 04:33:03 pm »

I love the new cache function ... I tried adding a few TV shows to my iPod last week and accidentally had the "sync music" option on inside iTunes, and it wiped out my 4K+ files I transferred using MC and my .ape library.  Well it took less than two hours to completely reload all those songs versus days prior to the cache function.  Excellent!!!

However, I too wish for the "Full Cache" option that automatically stays current with my main .ape library.  The whole lossless thing - secure ripping, .ape, ASIO playback - was the primary reason I went with MC in the first place.  And now, in the wildly common .mp3 player era, it only makes sense to have such a feature.

So DarkPenguin/JimH please rethink your position here.  Even if you guys are not lossless types, please consider how this would complete the deal for those of us who are.  Thanks!

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:17:39 pm »

Count me in....didn't even know about this yet but I have been planning on setting up a lossy version of all .apes once I finish ripping.

DC

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 12:28:23 am »

DC - the cache function is a great recent addition to MC - you'll love it - now if we can just get a true "mirror" library capability!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 03:52:59 pm »

Yeah, that would be great.

Seems like the functionality is already there, as the library will sync with a handheld; it just needs to be added to the general cache system.  Maybe MC can just check against the general cache upon startup (or a user determined period of time) and keep the cache mirrored that way.  Just an idea.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up