INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synching Multiple iPods - looking for old guide  (Read 1450 times)

rmbean

• Recent member
Synching Multiple iPods - looking for old guide
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:51:28 pm »

A while back I found a guide that detailed how to set up custom smartlists to be used to specify files to be synched with different iPods.  I swear the guide was linked from an FAQ, but my manual and electronic searches have come up empty.  I have one old small iPod without video and one huge iPod with video.  There are some files I want on the big one, but not the little AND vice-versa.  Does anyone a)know which guide I am referring to and b) know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance!

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Synching Multiple iPods - looking for old guide
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

This is a very old topic I read some years ago, and I now use the method it described. I couldn't find it in the forum, so I'll try to explain very quickly how I proceed. If you need more information (depends on how deep you know MC), I'll try to bring you more details later. It may not be exactly the same but it works pretty well...
- Basically, you need to create two library fields, one for each iPod. (Options -> Library & Folders -> User library Fields)
- For each song, you'll set that field to a value meaning that you want that song on the corresponding iPod (1 if you want it, 0 if not). You can set up custom view schemes to easily set the values (using tagging mode for example), display a columns showing the value of the fields, etc.
- Then you build two smartlist based on each new field : each smartlist will contain only the files you want on each iPod.
- At last you configure each iPod to sync with the corresponding smartlist.

Ok I made some screenshots because I'm not sure my explanations are very clear ;)

Field creation :

View Scheme :

Smartlist :

iPod settings :

Hope that will help...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:34:50 pm »

This shouldn't be difficult with MC12.  You should be able to set up any synch you want with any iPod.  Have you had a problem?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:03:24 pm »

I have 3 iPods that I sync from MC.  I use a very simple approach.  For each person, I have one or more smartlists that define what that person wants.  In the options for each iPod, I select the smartlists that are used for that person.  I suppose this can be made very complicated, but I try to keep it simple.

rmbean

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 09:15:04 pm »

No, I haven't had any problems and in fact MC has been working very well for this setup. I just remeber seeing that guide in the past and was going to look at what it could bring to the table. Raphoune described what the guide did very well from what I can remeber.  I'll tinker a bit and see what I come up with.  Thanks all!

pank2002

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:06:33 am »

I think it is Larry’s guide. You will find a link to on the wiki. It under ‘handheld’ or ‘iPod’.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:11:33 am »

That guide is out of date now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up