INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendation for a TV tuner card  (Read 1956 times)

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
recommendation for a TV tuner card
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:53:25 pm »

I'm looking to purchase a TV tuner card for my PC.  I'm hoping to use it primarily with Media Center 12.  Does anyone have any good recommendation for a TV tuner card that works well with Media Center 12?  I Was Thinking of Getting an ATI TV Wonder Pro Card.  But I'm really not sure what to get.

oh yeah, I forgot to mention... I'm on digital cable, if that makes a difference.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: recommendation for a TV tuner card
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »

Digital cable TV is not supported directly in Media Center. You will have to get the signal through cable company's box. That means you will have to tune to a fixed channel (SVideo in for example) in Media Center, and use your cable box to tune to actual channels.

Currently supported in Media Center:

Analog TV - antenna or cable.

HDTV (antenna) - ATSC in North America.
                      - DVB-T in most of the rest of the world.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:05:58 pm »

That was something I managed to figure out during some Internet searching.  I don't actually have HDTV, I've got analog cable with one of those digital boxes.

My first 58 channels are actually analog and the rest are digital.  I'm hoping to get a card capable of analog and digital support.  Though I'm not worried about HDTV yet.  I'll probably try out the analog part of a card, see how much I use it and then decide if I want to get an extra digital box.

Do you have any suggestions of what kind of TV tuner card would work well for doing this, and play nice with Media Center 12 for analog channels?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:15:02 pm »

It has been a while since I tried any new analog TV cards. I am not sure if my recommendation is still good. Take a look at the thread at the top of this board, where I mentioned a few "officially" supported devices. TV Wonder and TV Wonder VE are old and cheap. I do not know about TV Wonder Pro. I like Hauppauge WinTV PVR series. They all work pretty well in Media Center.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:17:55 am »

Just in case you are considering an ATI All-In-Wonder (AIW)...

I learned recently that the AIW TV functionality will never be supported on Vista. I have 3 systems in my home with AIW's so needless to say I am not happy and will be delaying my upgrade to Vista.
Pages: [1]   Go Up