INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-zone multi-computer setup - can we synchronize?  (Read 3365 times)

SW_NA6CE

• Recent member
Multi-zone multi-computer setup - can we synchronize?
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:15:55 pm »

Alright guys, I'm a long time user first time poster. I originally set up a media server on my two computers so my basement computer could read the library from my personal computer upstairs. I have a Logitech speaker system upstairs with an M-audio Delta soundcard. Downstairs, I am outputting line-level sound from the mobo to an NAD amp and TSF speakers.

Will I be able to play the same playlist in both zones at the same time? I have been able to set up independent playlists, but I have yet to be able to set up the "synchronization" feature to work properly. I have perused the Wiki and Help and the forums, and have not found my answer. What am I overlooking?

Thanks for your help,
Clayton

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multi-zone multi-computer setup - can we synchronize?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:01:46 am »

Sorry I cannot help ... 'cept to post a similar query ...

My client used to retrieve the library from the server, and the playlist would be exactly what the server was playing (except for 5-30sec of non-synch).  The important thing was that it retrieved the same playlist and current song (... synchronization not being exact is not important to me, but the playlist is because it is usually a shuffled genre)).

Now, for whatever reason, the client will retrieve the library, but the playlist will be whatever was last played on the client, without any regard to what the server is playing.  I've tried clearing the library and a number of stop/starts without effect.  Is there a preference somewhere I've missed??

TIA  :)
MC11.1.196
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

SW_NA6CE

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:14:14 pm »

how very strange. I have enjoyed using MC11, it is very powerful for organizing my massive media collection. I was also amazed by the media server it is capable of running.

However, it seems that managing the zones needs some work . . . the two computers are not "seeing" each other. I cannot select the sound card on the basement computer when managing the zones upstairs.

Any input, guys?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:55:12 pm »

Hi Clayton - Library Server is only used to send the server's library to the client and play it on the client. It has no capability for synchronizing zones. There may be ways of doing this without Library Server, but I'm not sure...

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:16:01 pm »

shAf - disconnect on the client, then try to delete
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Connected Library
(BE VERY CAREFUL, ONLY DELETE Connected Library, not anything else).
The try again.

It sounds like one of the files in Connected Library cannot be overwritten.

j

shAf

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:56:05 am »

... disconnect on the client, then try to delete [path]\Connected Library
I deleted the entire directory, and when MC11.1 started up again it automatically downloaded the library from the server, thus creating a new directory.  However, when the playlist showed it was still the old playlist and not what the server was playing(??)

TIA  :)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:01:17 am »

However, it seems that managing the zones needs some work . . . the two computers are not "seeing" each other. I cannot select the sound card on the basement computer when managing the zones upstairs.

Are you trying to set up a Zone in MC on the first computer, which uses the soundcard of the second computer?
. . . the game is rigged

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:26:18 am »

I deleted the entire directory, and when MC11.1 started up again it automatically downloaded the library from the server, thus creating a new directory.  However, when the playlist showed it was still the old playlist and not what the server was playing(??)

What I did to test this:

1) On the server, put several songs in Playing Now (playing a playlist for example).
2) Go to the client.
3) Connect to the server.
4) Check Playing Now, it's the same as on the server.

How did what you see differ?

j

shAf

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:48:25 am »

How did what you see differ?

The server is playing a brand new playlist this morning (e.g., my contemporary blues shuffled).

I stopped and quit the client, and deleted the "connected library" folder.

I started the client ... it immediately connects to the server and downloads the library.  The client's playing now shows a shuffled Singer-Songwriter genre that had been called on several weeks ago.  So long ago in fact, I forget if the playlist came from what was playing on the server or if it was designated from the client to be different than the server.

I'll configure a different playlist and try again ...

shAf

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:52:40 am »

I'll configure a different playlist and try again ...

Weird!!  I changed the client playlist to play shuffled "country rock" and started it.  Played fine.  I quit MC and then deleted the "connected library" folder.  I started MC and it immediately loaded the server's library.  The "singer-songwiter" playlist is now in "playing now"(??)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 01:18:20 pm »

Next try: on the server (stop the server and exit MC first), under C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\ you'll see
MJ Server Library.zip. Remove this. Then restart the server and client, it should work. For some reason, that file
cannot be deleted.

Or you could just upgrade to MC12 (where this kind of issue doesn't arise).

shAf

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 06:38:14 am »

Next try:  ... MJ Server Library.zip. Remove this. ...

This worked, but the real problem was that permissions wasn't set for this folder so that it could be deleted while a user (other than admin) was logged on.

Thanx for the excellent support, and I am trying out v12  :)

SW_NA6CE

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:46:04 pm »

whoa whoa you mean I can solve this problem just by upgrading? does MC 12 have the power to perform my intended task? I'm looking for synchronized play on multiple computers through each computer's individual soundcard.

I have appreciated your comments!
Pages: [1]   Go Up