INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PHP Calendar Creation and Questions  (Read 971 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
PHP Calendar Creation and Questions
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:37:50 am »

I have programmed in Perl before but always stayed away from PHP.  Friday, that all changed.  I read through the w3schools tutorial on PHP and was quite impressed.  So, I built a little calendar!  I am somewhat obsessed with my calendar right now because I found a free program, Finch Sync, which syncs my Sunbird calendar to my iPaq HX4700 PocketPC.

Anyway, this calendar reads my ics file directly, and prints out the tasks.  I am using another prepackaged ical parser, though.  Interestingly enough, the parser is huge compared to my entire code base.

If there are some good, professional, and efficient PHP programmers reading this, would I be able to ask a few questions?  As I write code, I understand its a great idea to separate code to functions (saves me writing) but there are some more detailed questions I have.

Take a gander if you want and give me some feedback:
http://thenunemakers.com/php/calendar/month.php

My goal is to add appointment printing.  The ical parser has appointments, too, but I will have to do some studying up (mainly on repeating appointments!)  The color schemes are a little heavy but I wanted to try something crazy.  The best news is that it's completely css based, too.  I was thinking of using a tableless css layout but I understand people often say there are specific, good uses for tables, and calendars are one of them.

Again, the reason this is great is because it reads my ical file directly.  In fact, all I have to do is enter the direct location (which is not web-accessible alone).

Addition: Does anyone know of a good site to explain how I can interpret ical repeating events?  I have looked through the RFC 2445 but I will need a simpler explanation.  I have events and tasks displaying on my calendar but (since tasks can't repeat in Outlook, I don't use repeating tasks) I can't figure out all the possible event repeat types.  I know I could just go with the ones I use commonly but I'd like to support as many types as I can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up