INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Slideshow question  (Read 1128 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
OT: Slideshow question
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:13:36 pm »

I was asked to put together a simple slideshow for an upcoming event.  It will consist mainly of pictures with some text describing the photos.  Few questions...

1. I'm hoping to get a nice slideshow easily and quickly with nice transitions and the automatic pan and zoom for each photo--kind of like Apple has in their slideshows.
2. I could use Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, which has great controls that let me move things around (even with curves to start slow, speed up, etc).  But, it's a ton of work to manually create an effect for a single photo and then randomly copy that (and a few varying ones I would create) to the other photos.  I can easily have 100-200 photos.  That would take hours!  And it still isn't that amazing.
3. Do any users of Premiere Elements know of a good, easy way to get a good slideshow?
4. Does MC have any really nice slideshow features?  Even if it could just provide the pictures...hmm.  I'd still have to add the text.

It's gonna take some thinking but I need it by mid-next week.  In the worst case, I can import them all to Premiere Elements and it will make a simple, timed slideshow with no effects.  Wonder if 3.0 has effects like Apple's software.  I remember reading about the guy who invented that method of showing photos but I can't recall at the moment who it was.

Thanks for any ideas!

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Re: Slideshow question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:18:10 am »

I use Mc12 very often for my slideshows...with a good music in the background. The zoom effect isn't that good, because sometimes it zooms on the right location...that's good, but on the other hand it zooms somewhere. A cool idea to show photos is Nero 7 for slideshows with some more effects or a 3d Gallery like this freeware:

www.mypictures3d.com/

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

benn600

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:38:37 pm »

Dare I say that suggestion is competing with my Free Product 2007?!  I found FinchSync, which is free and lets me sync my calendar/contacts with my iPaq (from Mozilla products).  That's still my Free Product 2007 but this is close behind!

What's the story with that company?  It looks like they had lots of commercial software and now it's all free.  And they were going to charge for My Pictures 3D but it's still free at v1.1 and they say it's completely freeware.  That is an amazing slideshow application.  I'm incredibly impressed.  You know what would be neat is a MC plugin that would let you select pictures, right click, My Pictures 3D.  Then, it would send the software the pictures you selected and instantly start that program with the pictures!  That would be amazing and probably not a huge amount of code, depending how willing they are to offer their API.

I have been busy discussing lots of things over on their forum, too.  I have some ideas for improvement and, after counting the total picture count for each gallery, I realized the LightHouse is the biggest...but it could be larger!  It is basically made to hold more pictures in the lighthouse but they didn't keep going.  lol.  There are stairs leading up but the pictures stop at the doorway.  I'll be showing a slideshow in a week or so and asked if they could quickly modify that and create a new LightHouseExpanded gallery that continued up the lighthouse so it could hold more.

Thanks a million to you for the suggestion and to the developers for an amazing job!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:59:21 am »

I put a slideshow together of a wedding recently and used ProShow Gold. It's got a free trial for few days. It will alllow you to pick and set the same transition for as many photos as you like. But if you use the same effect for 200+ pics, it might get a bit boring to watch.

Given your time frame, less than a week (!) and the amount of pics, you only got time to do the very basics.

You have not even mentioned putting sound to the photos or what equipment will be used to display your slideshow.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:06:44 am »

No problem

;D
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

benn600

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 09:37:55 am »

Dare I say that's garbage compared to a free solution that will awe your audience?

You cannot tell me that the average, ignorant viewer will not be absolutely blown away.  Here's my plan:

I actually counted the maximum pictures in each gallery and found that the lighthouse holds the most, 73 pictures.  So, I will probably cut some out to get to exactly 73 pictures.  Then, I'm going to start outside (on the path) by the lighthouse looking up at the lighthouse.  Then, we'll turn the projector on.  No one will know what it is...and then I'll start walking.  The guys will think I'm playing a first-person shooter and will be squinting, just waiting for some gunshots.  The gals will be thoroughly impressed by the scenery, of which I will try to avoid showing until I walk up the lighthouse and then I'll really show it off.

If you set the settings just right--somewhat slow walking--you can easily manually control it and give a good show.  The plan is to stand in front of a picture (on the wall) and then wait 3-5 seconds.  Then, move to the right, towards the next picture.  It will almost be a simple slideshow with full screen images (close to full screen, but with a frame, etc) and the transitions will be the frame moving offscreen and a new one moving on.  Plus, every 3-10 pictures, there will be a BIG transition as I walk across the room or to the top of the lighthouse.  Remember you can hold shift to speed up walking and even scroll to walk even faster: W + Shift + Scroll and you can get moving pretty quickly.  I basically need to walk as fast as I can from outside to inside even in slow mode or people will get bored.  It will be weird because I'm betting the whole audience of 200 or so will be able to see me and sooner or later, they'll start suggesting what I do.

Given your time frame, less than a week (!) and the amount of pics, you only got time to do the very basics.

lol.  My life is last-minute.  Besides, a week!  That's a lot of time.  How many hours would I put into this?!  I could offer one a night easily.  7 Hours!!  And tomorrow I'll have lots of time.

I like My Pictures 3D because it is pretty much AMAZING and requires very little setup.

One Issue: I may need to display descriptions for each photo.  I'm not sure if I should just modify the filenames--and then push Enter at each photo to view them fullscreen because it shows the filename or I can just add the descriptions in to the actual photos.  That might be a better, but more time consuming, option.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 09:48:44 am »

Ben,
This forum is for MC12 support and comments.  A reasonable percent of off-topic posts is permitted.  You're over your limit.

Locking this thread now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up