INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha network receiver interaction  (Read 2559 times)

jagdriver

• World Citizen
Yamaha network receiver interaction
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:15:25 am »

Downstairs I have a Yamaha RX-V2700 AV receiver connected to a HP rear projection TV. By way of a Cat5e ethernet cable, the Yamaha is connected to my upstairs media server running MC12.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup? Ideally, I'd like to view the MC12 UI on the HP TV, with the sound output being run through the Yamaha to various speaker configurations.

Thanks!

jagdriver

• World Citizen
Re: Yamaha network receiver interaction
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:34:28 pm »

This receiver has its own user-assigned IP and connect to my PC via Ethernet. The PC has to have Windows Media Connect installed, apparently a built-in component of Windows Media Player 11. Does MC12 support WMC?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:40:56 pm »

jagdriver,

Any luck getting it working?  I have the same receiver and would also like to configure mine to work with MC12.  ?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 05:18:16 pm »

Hi jagdriver,

Just checking in to see if you were ever able to make your Yamaha receiver to talk to MC12.

Randy

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 08:19:30 pm »

lol.  This is a lot of work, it appears, to essentially work around the MC GUI which has taken a lot of work and effort to perfect.  I also have a 7.1 Yamaha receiver but mine doesn't have an ethernet port on it.  What exactly does the ethernet port do?  Does your TV also have ethernet?  Are the ports supposed to let you play your content?  I'd say simply enough that you should consider the TV the main place to messing with content and then it will push the audio to the receiver--or just the receiver.  Either way, either one has the ability to get the sound and picture (if you pass video through the receiver) so it looks like you need to pick one and use it (which ever has the best interface).

But like I said, it's MC--a Windows application.  Maybe you'd be better off just running a desktop computer which is how MC is somewhat intended to run--in Theater mode.  It's unlikely that the Yamaha or HP solution will be better than MC--especially when it isn't designed specifically for MC but rather, some junkie Windows Media Player type program.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:14:20 am »

I have a V2700 that I use to switch and up convert all my input devices for output to a Plasma.  I feed the output from my dedicated HTPC running JRMC12 using DVI > HDMI for video and S/PDIF for audio.  JRMC12 does all the media handling and playback with the V2700 just switching and up converting.

There is no point using the ethernet interface as the codec support built into the V2700 is very limited and only for audio.  You can only use it for basic browsing and playback of mp3 etc.  JRMC12 is far better for playback and conversion for output to the Yami of the Audio and Video streams.

I also have programed the Yami RC to control JRMC12 under TheaterVeiw so for the familly it acts like any other CE device.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:45:49 pm »

Thanks for the information.

I think I'll give up on this idea.  I have all my audio & video connected to the Yamaha receiver, which in turn is connected to a plasma display.  I have my PC in another room, which is connected to a wireless network.  I have the router right next to the Yamaha receiver, so I thought this may be an easy way to connect my PC (JRMC12) to the receiver, and therefore to all of my high end speakers and plasma display. Apparently this is not the case. I already have a simple workaround for the audio which is to plug my iPod into the Yamaha receiver. It actually sounds better than I expected as the Yamaha uncompresses & enhances the audio. I also have all of the original CDs and LPs. For video I just use all of the original DVDs & Blu-Rays.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:29:56 am »

I already have a simple workaround for the audio which is to plug my iPod into the Yamaha receiver. It actually sounds better than I expected as the Yamaha uncompresses & enhances the audio.

Get yourself a small, quite HTPC running MC to put behind your Yami - connect it to your network and the Yami.  You really will hear a big difference with uncompressed music through any decent system (I reripped all my music in an uncopressed form) AND you can then play video etc etc....
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up