INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i've lost my playlists  (Read 1772 times)

surfstu

• Recent member
i've lost my playlists
« on: April 08, 2007, 04:04:02 am »

i have changed changed the drive for all of my music, re imported it back into mc and now my playlists have disappeared!! help! the names of the playlists are still here but are empty of tracks, is there any way to repopulate them?
cheers stu

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: i've lost my playlists
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:05:57 am »

• do you still have library backups from a time when the music in its previous location? you can fnd these by browsing to "C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library Backups"
  • when you moved your music to another drive, did you retain the same folder structure?
  • Do you have auto-import watching the old folder locations?

If the answer to all the questions above is "Yes", try the following:

• Go into MC's "Library and Folder" options, click on the "options" item you see on the right, and set "Fix Broken Links" to "No" and restart MC.
  • On The top toolbar, click on "File > Library > Restore Library" and select your most recent "old file location" backup to restore from.
  • (say, for example, you moved your entire music folder from C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Documents\My Music\ to D:\My Music\)
    Now select all audio files, right click on them, go to "Library Tools > find and replace"
    Click on the "select none" button, then scroll down the list to find, and select, filename.
    In the find field, you would enter C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Documents
    In the replace field, you would enter D:
    Press OK and MC will reconnect all of your files, and in the process, all data relating to things such as playlists, date imported, number of plays, last played, etc. etc. will be preserved.

Perhaps try a few before doing many.

-marko.

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:43:14 am »

IMO MC needs a playlist monitor like Auto-Import for Playlists to monitor where thesefiles are. Playlists are too important. To expect entry level users make m3u and then still have to edit them if they move their files is a tough lesson to learn. Time & time again this happens (even to more experienced users).

DC

surfstu

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:31:23 pm »

thanks for the quick response.... the fix you provided has only seemed to do half a job, i can now see the missing music in my playlists but there is a 'red X' through them all, the path for the files is correct but i keep getting a message 'please make sure that the path in media library points to the right location and that the files are not being filtered by access control'
any ideas?
cheers stuart

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:47:14 pm »

if there's a red X, this means that the paths are not correct, or that they are on a network/removable drive that's not currently available.

If you moved your music to an external hard drive, or a network location, make sure the files are actually available.
If you moved the files to a new internal drive, then the paths in the library are not correct.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up