INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acquiring from Scanner  (Read 1206 times)

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
Acquiring from Scanner
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:13:49 am »

I'm embarking on a bit of a scan-fest, and so of course I wanted to use MC to get all my images straight into my library. However I won't be doing that for the following reasons:

1 - File format; my main problem is that I want to save all images from now on in lossless LZW compressed TIF files. The options dialogue doesn't allow you to choose a file format, and rather confusingly, lets you type the file extension but only saves in JPG. (At first I typed in [filename].tif, and of course Windows Image and Fax Viewer opened it, so I thought 'Great!', but Photoshop told me it wasn't the right format until I changed the extension to .jpg)

2 - Workflow; when I click acquire, I first get a choice of using TWAIN or WIA. I click TWAIN, and the Epson dialogue opens. Typically I have 3 photographs on the plate, but as soon as I scan one image, the dialogue closes and I have to start all over again. This is too many clicks per image for me. As a comparison, when acquiring images in Photoshop, the dialogue box stays open until dismissed, and all the scans are then open in the program.

3 - Naming; although I don't know of a better way of doing this (so I'll probably do it in MC later with KS's Replace Master or using expressions), the file number increment system that MC uses is not very appropriate for what I want - I don't want spaces in the filename (or parentheses!).

Other little things that irk: The AW entry is called 'Camera' - I had to guess that the scanner would be there too; If I use the entry in the drop-down which identifies my scanner correctly, it does some kind of all-in-one scan at 72dpi. Only if I choose 'Generic Scanner' do I get the options to choose the interface. Finally, the options dialogue looks like a camera-interface dialogue, with its 'types to acquire' field. The poor old scanner has really taken a back seat!

So here's my ideal version of scanning in MC:
Having chosen 'Acquire Images' in the AW, I select my Epson Perfection in the dropdown and click 'Options'. In options I get to choose which interface (TWAIN vs WIA) to use (either that, or get a 'do not ask me this again' check box on the dialogue that pops up now - but that's the less preferable option). I also get to choose a file format, the options that go with it (so for TIF files, whether to use LZW, JPG or ZIP compression, etc.), and then for filename, I get a directory field and a base-name field - with an increment field and zero-padding options.

Then, when I've ok'd all my options and click 'Acquire', my chosen interface dialogue opens (in my case I always use the TWAIN interface), and it stays open as I scan each image, with the files being created in the background. Voila!

So, J River, what are the chances?!!  ;D

Anyone else have suggestions? (for J River or for me!)

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Acquiring from Scanner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:18 am »

I've been requesting these for a long time.

Another thing that can happen, is if you cancel the twain interface, it breaks the Action Window until MC is restarted.

"Acquire Image" is, I feel, aimed primarily at getting coverart for audio files, where it works with the scanner very well indeed. For anything else, it really is too feature starved to be of any real use.

I've been scanning old photos to .tif files, and I've been using 3rd party software for both scanning and managing. MC cannot read nor write tags to .tif files either which is another thing I found to be too much of a hindrance. Once I'm happy with the tif file, I export a .jpg copy of it to a folder MC is watching and move on from there.

The improvements in image handling with v12, both with management and sharing, are extremely useful, and extremely welcome, but despite all of that, MC is still not quite ready to manage my images exclusively. Getting really close though :)

Need full .tif support for reading and writing .tif tags
Need to support thumbnailing .psd files.
Need better support for acquire from scanner.

-marko.

EpF

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 03:28:56 pm »

I've been using 3rd party software for both scanning and managing.
Does that mean plugins, or do you consider everything that isn't MC to be 3rd party?!  ;) If you mean other programs, what do you use to batch convert from .tif to .jpg?

MC cannot read nor write tags to .tif files
Didn't know that. I thought v12 would support .tif fully, seeing as image support was such a focus area, and .tif is such a common format.

Need full .tif support for reading and writing .tif tags
Need to support thumbnailing .psd files.
Need better support for acquire from scanner.
Agreed.

Cheers marko!  :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:21:03 pm »

for acquiring, I'm using vuescan 8-point-something, for management, I use elements. for converting, I use either the export function in elements, or the convert feature of directory opus.

MC takes over from that point onwards.

I wrote this the other day, probably applies here too:
Thanks to some help I received from other interactors, I have a batch file here that makes a copy of a selected file, then opens that copy in photoshop. You simply add the batch file to MC's external programs list. (Send to... (external) > add/edit programs.)
I make sure that all my image related tags are saved inside the file, and that auto-import is watching my image folders.
While I'm working on the file in photoshop, Otto gets to work importing it. As it contains all the metadata of the original file, it shows up beside the original regardless of what filters are in place in the current view scheme.
When the file is saved in photoshop, any EXIF info is preserved, but the proprietry MC tags are lost. This is not a big deal however, as that info is, by now, safely inside the database and the update tags tool can rewrite the <MJMD> info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up