INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View use?  (Read 1635 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Theater View use?
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:13:41 am »

There have been a lot of changes made in MC12 to improve theater view. What I don't understand is how people are using it so I think I'm missing out on something. Does everybody that use it have a home theater PC hooked up to their TV? Or is there another way that I'm not familiar with?
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View use?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:16:50 am »

Theater View is what the industry calls "A Ten Foot Mode".  Think Couch Potato and Remote Control.  So this usually means that MC is running on a PC with a screen large enough to be seen from across the room.

I think it's also useful for touch screens.

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:41:27 am »

I want it then.  ;D  Now how to get a cheap enough PC to let it work with my HDTV setup. I have a few old laptops that I'm wondering if I can use. But remote control would probably require something else. I do have a slim desktop that might work. Are there any good sites out there that tell how to build something inexpensive that would work well with MC?
Jeff

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:02:45 am »

One of the most critical things is a decent graphics card,
since MC uses DirectX graphics for it's user interface.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 10:29:26 am »

Theater View is what the industry calls "A Ten Foot Mode".  Think Couch Potato and Remote Control.  So this usually means that MC is running on a PC with a screen large enough to be seen from across the room.

I think it's also useful for touch screens.

or a long enough cable to put it on the table infront of the couch.  :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:40:38 pm »

I want it then.  ;D  Now how to get a cheap enough PC to let it work with my HDTV setup. I have a few old laptops that I'm wondering if I can use. But remote control would probably require something else. I do have a slim desktop that might work. Are there any good sites out there that tell how to build something inexpensive that would work well with MC?

The best way of using theater view with a HDTV/projector would be a remote control (imo). You can get them from 20-30 bucks. The best alternative are probably a PDA with WIFI, but are costly. Use that with netremote and you have a super setup.
I got a PDA, and earlier I had a cheap Imon Pad remote. It was ok to work with, but had a little short range. The Imon was for a stationary, so I'm not sure what to use with a laptop. But there are probably reasonably cheap (EDIT:) "Laptop" alternatives too. I think you can also use the infra red port on your laptop with a remote. If not, you have to have a pcmcia card with a IR reciever and a remote.

I would recommend remotecentral: http://www.remotecentral.com if you have questions about remote controls.
Or just do a google with with words like: IR, pcmcia, remote and laptop. Would probably find interesting things

As to building the machine. That depend on your needs:
  • If you only use it for music you don't need a good machine, just a reasonably good Graphic card (Nvidia 6600 works fine for me).
  • If you plan on using it for video too, you might need a little better machine (I use an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. More than enough). And at least the same graphic card.
  • If you want to make full use of your HDTV with stunning video with post processing of divx, dvd ++ you need a monster. The bigger the better (My Athlon 64 3200+ have a huge problem when it comes to the max settings in quality).
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:39:26 am »

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely have to check this out when I get to move into my apartment and get my current system set up.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up