INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Grail: XBMC  (Read 1948 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Holy Grail: XBMC
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:40:09 pm »

I have a few questions.  I purchased my XBMC for a small price half a year ago and absolutely love it.  It works so amazingly well and hasn't ever given me major issues.  Does the XBMC software get updated from time to time?  I'm guessing the XBox I have was setup a year or two ago so perhaps there are new features I am missing out on.  I have also seen on a DL.TV episode dealing with the XBMC that you can make scripts to allow you to do things ranging from viewing YouTube video to streaming your favorite podcasts, etc.  Is there a big list of readymade scripts?  How do I install them?

Would updating to the latest XBMC be as simple as ftp ing and then replacing certain files?  I wouldn't want to take any chances, though!  I like it the way it is (working)!

I'm scouring eBay for a read to go XBMC so I can have a second for another room.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Holy Grail: XBMC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 08:07:22 am »

I don't have an original xbox but check this, this , this and this.

That should get you on your way updating your xbox with the latest bestest XBMC. They update it quite frequently from what I've read.

I'm waiting for those magicians to hack the 360 and come out with XBMC for the 360 with full 1080P HD support. If the original xbox would have supported HD I would have bought one.

johnnyboy

Re: Holy Grail: XBMC
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:15:53 pm »

To update XBMC you just simply ftp to the box and upload the latest version of it onto the box then reboot it and hey presto your updated.

By the sounds of it you are using a very old version and believe me - when you get the new version 2.x you'll be blown away. It's gorgeous and works incredibly.

It's technically illegal to distribute the compiled binary of it although the source is perfectly legal so you have to look around the normal dodgy haunts for software to find a pre-compiled version of it which you can then use.

It really is to me at least the Holy Grail of HTPC type setups, or it would be if it could do TV too - its a perfect streamer for MC. Cant wait until you can pickup small form factor PC's that are able to work as well for the same price.

To install scripts etc (alot are included anyway with v2), you just upload them I believe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up