INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash caused by DirectShow filters [SOLVED]  (Read 1869 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Crash caused by DirectShow filters [SOLVED]
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

Hi,

I am experiencing constant crashes within 2 minutes of starting MC12 with this release. This is what happens:

• I start MC12.0.212. At first it starts normally and I see the welcome page.
  • Within 60 seconds or less, I see a pop-up box titled "Haali Media Splitter" which complains that some file can not opened.
  • A few seconds later, I also see another pop-up box which is a real player trying to find a newer version of itself. It reports that it couldn't find a newer release. If I click on the details to see what file type it is looking for a newer version for, I see it is mpg.
  • I see some other "Haali Media Splitter" pop-up boxes.
  • A few seconds later, I see an warning saying Media Center 12 tried to reference some memory which caused an error
  • Then, MC12 crashes with the box saying you want to submit information to Microsoft to debug

I removed the Theater View plugin directory to see maybe that is causing this problem. But, it still crashed. I rebooted my computer. I start MC12 in safe mode (no skins, 3rd party plugins etc.) and still it crashed.  I reverted to 12.0.204 (the last version I was using) and it is no longer crashing.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Crash caused by DirectShow filters
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:43:43 pm »

Recent versions required rebuilding thumbnails and the DirectShow filters you're using may not be bulletproof.  Try the FAQ for links to Yaobing's and glynor's threads on video and DirectShow (at the bottom of the FAQ).

Osho

• MC Beta Team
Crash caused by DirectShow filters
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:29 pm »

Recent versions required rebuilding thumbnails and the DirectShow filters you're using may not be bulletproof.  Try the FAQ for links to Yaobing's and glynor's threads on video and DirectShow (at the bottom of the FAQ).

I uninstalled ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter and installed CCCP codec pack and the errors and crash have gone now. But I wonder if I lost any playback capability.

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
Re: Crash caused by DirectShow filters
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:03:43 pm »

Well, now I can't play some mp4 files that I was able to play before. Any suggestions?

Osho

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:09:51 pm »

Try glynor's posts on this.  Near the bottom of the FAQ.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 03:25:31 pm »

Well, now I can't play some mp4 files that I was able to play before. Any suggestions?

Osho

What happens when you try to play them?

Did you do a reboot after uninstalling the other codecs before doing the CCCP install?  Did you reboot again after the CCCP install?

Also, did you run the CCCP "insurgent" program before installing the pack?  This checks the system for traces of other codecs/codec packs that might conflict with CCCP.  If you didn't do this, you might try uninstalling the CCCP pack, rebooting, running the insurgent program, and then re-installing the pack.  I know it's a pain, but these codec-related issues can get tricky sometimes, so it might be worth a try.

Larry

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 05:51:27 pm »

I also despise the Haali splitter, for me it has been nothing but trouble.

Try reinstalling it, but configure it to *only* handle MP4 files. Turn off splitting for MPEG-TS, AVI, etc.

Or, if you have Nero, the MP4 decoding package that comes with that is very stable.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 05:21:27 pm »

After numerous reboots, installing CCCP, Insurgent and uninstalling other codecs etc. I have been able to play this mp4 file on one of the PCs on which I have MC12. On another PC, I am still getting crashes when I try to play this mp4 file. Unfortunately this second PC is the one that is hooked to my HDTV so I really need it to work.

EDIT: On this second PC where MC12 won't play this MP4 file, VLC media player plays this MP4 file fine. So, what gives?

These filters business is screwed up!

Osho

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:11:06 pm »

Have you tried using MP4 Splitter? If it is installed, MC will try using it instead of Haali Media Splitter.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 06:31:32 pm »

Well I finally fixed it. For some reason, only MP4 was not selected as the filetype for which DirectShow should be used in the list of filetypes for Options-> Playback -> Directshow settings. I selected MP4 and now it is working again.

I have no idea why/when MP4 got deselected.

Osho

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Crash caused by DirectShow filters [SOLVED]
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 06:40:10 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.  I'll move this into the MC12 forum so others can benefit from your work.

We understand that DirectShow filters are a problem.  We're trying to simplify this, but we think it's worth the trouble because you can play just about anything.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Crash caused by DirectShow filters [SOLVED]
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 07:52:12 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.  I'll move this into the MC12 forum so others can benefit from your work.

We understand that DirectShow filters are a problem.  We're trying to simplify this, but we think it's worth the trouble because you can play just about anything.

I know what you're talking about.  I LOVE the idea of having a lot of flexability and power, but all the extra complexity is frustrating since it stands in the way of actually being able to USE the power.

I also have had frustrations with DirectShow filters.  I had an issue with stuttering playback that went away at some point -- I never did figure out what finally fixed it.  I just kept fiddling and trying new MC builds, and one day I noticed that the problem was not happening anymore.

At the moment I seem to be having success with the CCCP pack along with the Orban plugin.  The only setting I changed from default is the "Display error messages" setting in the "Interface" section of the "Haali Media Spitter Settings."  I switched it to "no" in order to keep an error message from popping up in MC.  The odd thing was that at one point, even the CCCP pack wasn't working properly for me.  I think a new MC version may have solved the issue.

Things are actually working rather well for me with mp4 playback at the moment.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up