INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shn again  (Read 2714 times)

hupiper

shn again
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:30:14 pm »

I saw there was some talk about shn support in MC 12 last fall. What became of it? Has anyone attempted to write a plug-in? I am trying MC out, and I really like it, but I have a lot of shn files, and part of the benefit I saw to MC was being able to keep and enjoy my libraries as they were without a big conversion project.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: shn again
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:03:57 pm »

Isn't shn Shorten Audio?

If that is the case they should be supported, and you can select them upon importing.

I had a few shorten audio files in the past and they imported and played just fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 01:06:47 pm »

SHN is Shorten, but they are NOT supported by MC12.  MC11 supported them through a third-party plugin, but it hasn't been updated to work in MC12.  Unfortunately, SHN is still available in the file type lists, so they still get imported and whatnot.

I use Monkey's Audio (Matt's APE tool) to convert mine to APE, which is still lossless so there's no quality loss, and then import them into MC.  Once they're in MC, you can easily use it to convert them to FLAC or MP3 or whatever you want them in.  SHN is really an antiquated lossless format, and I prefer to use FLAC (which is smaller and has tagging support.)

Unfortunately, the person who wrote the MC11 plugin doesn't really come around anymore, so there's little chance of getting an updated plugin.  I keep hoping Schtom will eventually take pity on us and build a good SHN plugin to go along with his great FLAC plugins!  Not so far though... (Shameless needle there.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:13:55 pm »

Ah never realized MC12 wouldn't play them.

When I had those shorten files that was with v11 not v12.

scthom

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:56:47 pm »

I keep hoping Schtom will eventually take pity on us and build a good SHN plugin to go along with his great FLAC plugins!  Not so far though... (Shameless needle there.)

Eventually is a long time...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 08:56:07 pm »

It's cool, Scot.  I really just hugely appreciate your effort with the FLAC plugin!  Honestly, even though I love MC immensely, I don't know if I'd be able to use it as my primary player without your FLAC plugin.  Your effort is certainly appreciated here!   ;D

And, as I said, SHN is really deprecated anyhow.  It annoys me how much content is still released on Lossless Legs and etree in SHN even now.  I mean, come on, use a modern format, will ya?

Oh, and sorry I got dyslexic with your username there!

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:29:48 pm »

etree isn't releasing anything on SHN anymore, Glynor, AFAICT, and hasn't for over a year or so.  FLAC is their offically supported format now, thankfully.  IMO, SHN is about as good as WAV, although they don't have the nerdy billionaire.  Personally, I converted all my SHN's to FLAC when the genius scthom joined the fight.  Catch up, will you, Glynor? 

P.S.  how's Sin City treating you?  Remember what I said about "hospitality", will you?  Might improve your world view considerably, IMO.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 02:42:52 am »

etree is FLAC only?!?  Reeeeallllly..... (notice, even though it's an old show, the date added was 4/15/2007).  There's still all kinds of SHN format stuff out there, on etree and all over the place.  Just do a search for SHN or SHNF on etree and you'll be shocked at how much comes up.  Sure... they're mostly all re-seeds, but it's not like I've already grabbed every show ever made available already!

Yeah.... I too convert all my SHNs to FLAC.  I just constantly get new ones, and now I have to jump through Monkey's Audio (and APE) to get them there.  I know I could get Monkey's Audio to convert directly to FLAC if I beat on it, but I tried for a few hours and failed and decided it was just easier to convert to APE (native in MkA) and then to FLAC via MC+Scthom's.  (Sorry, Matt, I'd keep them in APE but I'm one of those Mac/Linux guys and there's no implementation for those as you well know.)

Sin City is treating me amazingly well.  I'm actually really impressed.  I've been having a great time.  There's been nothing "sinister" at all (impressive for a big city) and the conference has been great.  The strip is completely overwhelming, but in a great way.  Tonight I bounced around:  Bellagio (watched the fountains), Caesar's, Paris, Bally's, and the Flamingo.  All of them were pretty good, though Flamingo's and Bally's were kinda boring.  I really liked Bellagio's.  Went to the Buffet there (awesome but expensive), and loved the gardens and just the general look and feel.  I must say... There are some deals around, but the "rumor" that Vegas is a cheap place to vacation are completely false.  Once upon a time there might have been free drinks and cheap food everywhere you look, but not any more!  I rode the NY NY Roller Coaster yesterday for example.  It was cool and worth it (I was drunker than hell) but it was $12.50.  For one ride!!  That's almost half as much as MC costs!!

Haven't gambled a dime yet.  I probably will before I leave a little tiny bit.  I'm not much of a gambler though... I just know I'm going to lose (I know the odds too well), so I don't get any "thrill" at all.  It just feels like throwing money away, and I'd rather spend it on drinking!   ;D  If I was good at Poker, I might play that (since it's not rigged to the house usually), but I'm no good at all (you know -- if you can't see the sucker, it's me).

I did happen to see someone win pretty big (at least a couple of grand) at Roulette tonight while I was wandering.  Then they kept playing though, so...  ::)

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 10:51:08 am »

Better do some gambling or you might spend your money foolishly on something else! ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 03:15:20 pm »

... I too convert all my SHNs to FLAC.  I just constantly get new ones, and now I have to jump through Monkey's Audio (and APE) to get them there.  I know I could get Monkey's Audio to convert directly to FLAC if I beat on it, but I tried for a few hours and failed and decided it was just easier to convert to APE (native in MkA) and then to FLAC via MC+Scthom's. ...

Why create immediate Monkey's Audio files if the desired end format is FLAC? MC11.1 with the Shorten and FLAC (Scthom's older encoder version) plugins is a nice tool for SHN -> FLAC conversions.

(If someone didn't know this: MC11.1.201 can be installed at the same time with MC12 and it can use the same MC12 license.)

Another easy option is to use Speek's small Multi Frontend GUI program with the standard FLAC and Shorten .exe files.  http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm

Personally, I have always converted the eTree SHN files to Monkey's Audio.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:55:32 pm »

Yeah, I know it's a little silly to do it my way Alex, but it's easier for a couple of reasons:

1. Monkey's Audio is easier to install and use than to install and maintain older outdated versions of MC and to use plugins on a variety of machines.  Remember, I'm the guy with a million machines, so I'd end up having to install it (and all the assorted plugins) and maintain separate MC11.1 libraries on a bunch of different machines.  Boo on that!

2. Monkey's Audio is absurdly easy to use, and free, and I know where to get it.  Going through the intermediate APE doesn't really take much extra time compared to your suggested methods (I'd still have to open and fire up MC11.1, which I don't have a working library for anymore, and then move to MC12 to ingest them).  Monkey's Audio is incredibly fast at converting from SHN to APE, and I can set it to just delete the original source SHNs when it's done and then import those right into MC12 to tag them and then as a last step convert them to FLAC (if that's what I want) or half-the-time I just convert them to LAME MP3s (with the v2 fast settings)!

So, essentially It Just WorksTM.  I'm sure there's other apps out there (though not a ton because I did look at one point) that could go direct from SHN to FLAC or LAME MP3, but this works perfectly well for me and it's quite reliable and I don't have to spend time thinking about it or searching for apps or dealing with a new developer.  If something breaks in Monkey's Audio, I know where to find the guy who wrote it.   ;)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:06:27 am »

But you can use shn through ffdshow?

I think so.

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 01:57:19 am »

But you can use shn through ffdshow?

I think so.

tn1

Not that I've found.  If you figure out how, let me know.  But the list of supported format types in the FFDSHOW audio decoder codec section is:

WMA 7
WMA 8/9
MP1, MP2, MP3
AC3
DTS
AAC
Vorbis
AMR
LPCM
ADPCM (MS, IMA, and Other)
mulaw/Alaw
MS GSM
FLAC
True Audio
truespeech
QDM2
MACE (3,6)
AVIS
Uncompressed (wav)

There's no Shorten Audio in that list.  Do you (or anyone) know of another DirectShow SHN decoder you can use?  That'd be ideal really!

Pages: [1]   Go Up