INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outputting Video, HDTV, DVD, etc. over S/PDIF  (Read 1505 times)

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Outputting Video, HDTV, DVD, etc. over S/PDIF
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:50:15 am »

I want to use MC12 as a player for all my video files. I currently use Cyberlink power DVD 6 for video playback because I can select SPDIF output to my AV processer to decode &  play the Dolby Digital Or DTS soundtrack. This has long been an issue for me with MC's inability to output the digital stream directly to an outbord Pre-mp Processor.
I've Tried a previous beta version of MC12 which didn't have this feature. will MC12 incorperate this feature at some time?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: mc12 as home theater Video player
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:08:34 pm »

You CAN tell MC to output video content over S/PDIF.  This is how I run my Theater zone at home.

The method you need to use depends on the audio filter you're using.  You can pick and configure the audio filters used with MC 12.

FFDShow filter
If you use FFDShow (search for a free download), simply pick S/PDIF for AC3 and DTS in the configuration dialog.  I've had good luck with this approach.

InterVideo
Modify this registry key (it should appear after playing a video once if the filter is being used)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InterVideo\Common\AudioDec\Media Center\Audio = 6

HDTV using ATI drivers
Modify this registry key (it should appear after playing TV once if the filter is being used)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI Technologies\MultiMedia\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Media Center\AuDsInterface= 4

Cyberlink filter
This is similar to the HDTV but I'm not certain the exact location.  Search for AuDsInterface in the registry and set it to 4.

Note that some filters will allow you to simply select this in the configuration dialog.  Some filters hide this, hence the registry hacks.

Good luck!

(p.s. the keys named "Media Center" could also show as "Media Center 11" and "Media Center 12" instead, so look out for that)
(p.s. I renamed the thread so that people that search for S/PDIF will find it)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shAf

Re: mc12 as home theater Video player
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 10:14:19 am »

You CAN tell MC to output video content over S/PDIF.  This is how I run my Theater zone at home.

The method you need to use depends on the audio filter you're using.  You can pick and configure the audio filters used with MC 12.
[...]

I might need a better description of the procedure.  I have the ffdshow audio decoder and it does show in the list of audio decoders in the "DVD configuration", but I cannot find any reference to S/PDIF output(?)

That is, I have a problem with MC12's DVD audio not triggering or otherwise being compatible with my AV amplifier's Dolby 5.1 or DTS decoding.  Whereas other DVD players have a setting that implies the audio shouldn't be decoded because the S/PDIF output is used, and I can see when their output triggers decoding for my amplifier.

Which brings up a more basic question:  If the computer's audio is physically configured for S/PDIF output, why isn't there a central and global setting for MC12?  It seems to me that a global setting for sending the audio output (without decoding) to S/PDIF(?)  On the other hand, I like the audio gain feature for music.  Would a global parameter that implies S/PDIF defeat the other playback modules for music (gain, equalizer, etc)??

This type of setting for DVDs should be easier ... i.e., without any need to turn to editing the registry(?)

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Outputting Video, HDTV, DVD, etc. over S/PDIF
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:20:49 pm »

My apologies for bumping this thread ... I hope it was simply overlooked this weekend.  That is, surely there's an answer for configuring DVD playback for S/PDIF output that doesn't imply I need turn to editing the registry(?)

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Outputting Video, HDTV, DVD, etc. over S/PDIF
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:54:57 pm »

Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DVD Playback Settings...

Select FFDShow for Audio Decoder.

Double click "FFDShow Audio Decoder" in the "List of filters" to bring up FFDShow Audio decoder's configuration window.

In the left pane, click Codecs. In the right pane, find AC3 in the first column ("Format") and change its value in the second column ("Decoder"). It is a drop-down list with these three elements: Disabled, liba52, and S/PDIF. You know which one to choose  ;). Do the same for dts format if you have DVD/CDs that use that audio format.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up