INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View should support plug-ins (cncb)  (Read 1237 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Theater View should support plug-ins (cncb)
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:24:34 am »

Maybe we have different definitions of customization but I think this is where MC fails such that I can't use it as my main HTPC front-end.  Other than moving things around a little bit you can't do any customization at all in TheaterView.  For example, if I want an integrated weather module in TheaterView I would have to hack together some kind of web page to accomplish this.  Most other apps have a clear advantage here by allowing customized (programmed) add-ins.
Maybe you could start a new thread on this (customized add-ins) and explain in more detail.

For weather, you could just grab a web url like this:
http://www.channel4000.com/index.html

and add it as a button on TheaterView's home page.  To do this go to Tools/Options/TheaterView/Items to show and choose Add.

I may move some of this to a new thread later.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Theater View should support plug-ins (cncb)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:57:43 am »

Maybe you could start a new thread on this (customized add-ins) and explain in more detail.

I will add some comments here and you can move/delete them as needed.

The problem with the current web page mechanism in TheaterView is that generally it is difficult to see on a TV and there is usually no way to interact with it (with your remote).  I started using Snapstream Beyond Media as my front-end over a year ago.  It has very little to offer out of the box in my opinion but has a nice SDK which allows you to program a plug-in and use their full-screen interface UI items (buttons, lists, pictures, etc.).  With this I was able to write my own plug-ins using their full-screen interface including one to play music from MC, one to browse Netflix and manage your Queue, one to play Pandora radio, and a few more.  I have since moved on to Windows XP MCE since Snapstream has all but abandoned Beyond Media but this is a very nice option to have.  I never tried Meedio but I think it was the same.

Apparently, Vista Media Center has a very powerful SDK to allow for add-ins so it might be a little late for TheaterView, however, I imagine you would probably get a lot of interesting user add-ins for TheaterView if you opened it up like this.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Theater View should support plug-ins (cncb)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 06:54:25 pm »

Here is the list of Plug In categories from over at Media Portal http://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/ and some of my own comments:
* Audio/Radio : These include modules for FM Radio Receivers & handing of online web radio feed lists etc.  While I am not tooo interested in online radio, I have set up a Playlist with streaming radio that I can access via TheatreView.  While it works, the use of a playlist is counter intuative and I'd suggest that their should be a separate Icon in the Organisation Tree like "Podcasts" that can then be enabled for viewing in TheaterView if required.
* Automation : Seems to be a set of add ins for calling other progs - never played with any
* EPG/TV : Mostly customised TV Logos and EPG's for different countries and regions.  This is an area that MC will struggle with without plugging into the 3rd party community as there are so many fine differences between the regions that one solution does not work for all. 
* Games : OK I admit it I installed and used the Sodoku one ONCE.....but really not something I care about for HTPC
* Input : Mostly for remote controls but also some other HW devices like barebones PC's
* Other : A heap of things from StockMarket tickers, Recipes organisers, Calculators etc (none of which I care about in a HTPC IF) - However the big one here is "MyBlaster" - an external tuner plugin for compatible Microsoft MCE IR Blasters.  It allows you to change channels on an external STB connected to your PC via the analogue input port on your TVcard.  This allows you to map all your TV Channels (both Free to Air and Cable) via the HTPC software without having to select different devices.  As MC does not support (yet) DVB-T I can not comment on what (if any) comparable functionality exists.
* PIM : No idea why you would want this function in your HTPC but someone obviously did!
* Utilities :  Most of this stuff is already part of the normal view in MC – file browsers, burning etc
* Video/Movies : Most of these add ons are to improve the handling / playing / support / cataloguing of Videos – most of which I think is fine in MC
* Web : Only ones I think are worth mentioning is a Skype Plug In (your HTPC could be good for Video calls but not so sure for voice) and a trial for a Web Plug in but they have the same issues with trying to run it from a remote mentioned in other posts here.  I actually think the Web stuff in MC is fine for what I want to get over the web (eg I can access the YouTubes stuff just fine but am currently typing this from my PC not my HTPC).
* Basic Home Automation Plugin – could be interesting to close curtains, turn on popcorn machine, etc for the ultimate in lounge lizarding!

As a note: With the exception of the lack of DVB-T/PVR at the moment - I actually find MC has either the features I want built in or most of the pugins I want from the "Skins and Plugins" page.  However without a V12 drop down box some of these are hit and miss - It would be good to add V12 so we know what works / what does not.

I find that the customisationalness (if that is a word) in MC is a middle ground between prods like MediaPortal and say Nero Home that allows none.  I quite like the concept of doing the customisation / config etc in Normal View and then having this flow through to TheaterView (but only some of this works – eg see separate post on view lists).   I also agree with other posts on the ability to add / remove / customise all buttons so those that want to remove the close button or add a standby one can.  While I understand that others may been keen on a broader Plug In module system I would vote that core DVB/PVR functionally gets sorted out before adding the ability to let a third party develop say a Sodoku plugin.

Thanks
Nathan

Happy New year for those about to start! (It's the day after here in Oz already and I'll let you guess how I feel  :( )
JRiver CEO Elect

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 02:56:55 am »

I would love to see some of these features more slickly integrated with MC. Yes, some may be solved with hooking up a web page, but this doesn't quite have the "WOW - This is something i would use" factor when you show it to your better half... It's rather "I would rather do that on the computer in the other room".

Features i would like is:
RSS feeds,
Torrent view/download (uses RSS),
Local Weather forecast (With pretty integrated GUI),
Local new Music, Video and Cinema reviews (from my country, USA usally has premiers way ahead...),
Local Cinema program (RSS)
IM (MSN), i don't use it, but my better half is a msnoholic....
YouTube,

Of course, I do not expect MC to create all these, but if there where a easy way to integrate with Theater View, mayby more plugins would be created.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 12:10:16 pm »

Now that this is the case (thanks very much) I assume we will be able to create our own?  Will there be some kind of docs for this soon?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP
Pages: [1]   Go Up