INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REQUEST: Settings Import/Export  (Read 1005 times)

vine-au

• Junior Woodchuck
  • negative, I am a meat popsicle...
REQUEST: Settings Import/Export
« on: April 24, 2007, 06:35:05 pm »

Is there any chance of have an Import/Export Settings function?
Or conversly keeping the settings in a .ini file instead of in the Registry?
I seem to reinstall my computer a lot and everytime having to set up MC just how I like... wheras other apps I just copy over their ApplicationData folder and all settings are there. frustrating! This has bugged me from the start.

pleaaaaaaaase.

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: REQUEST: Settings Import/Export
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:26:38 pm »

2 days ago I wrote exactly the same... see my other thread... there was no response, so probably here... who knows  ::)

This problem will get worse with the number of settings and special skins / customized views we use...

It's just not user friendly to let a user re-set everything when she/he updates the version...

Guys, please be so kind...

Thanks,
Martin

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:39:22 pm »

BUMP: I've requested this in the past as well.   Seems this should be a no-brainer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:48:55 pm »

I built a simple script a while back that saves the relevant MC settings to a REG file which you can then double click on (with MC closed of course) to restore the settings.

It's in the Third Party Plugins forum, and is included in the "Index To What's Here" thread.  (Sorry, I don't feel like looking it up.)

So you know... MC handles upgrading to new versions in-place just fine.  99.99% of the time, there is no need to uninstall first when you update to the newest build.  MC handles preserving all your existing settings just fine when you install the new builds overtop of the old ones.  If you are uninstalling first before you install new minor builds you are just wasting time and effort.  I only do this if I'm experiencing weird problems (and even then it usually doesn't solve them).

The only time when MC doesn't preserve your settings is when you're upgrading to a new Major Version Number (ie v11 to v12).  This is done intentionally so that no old "bad" settings pollute fresh installs of new versions.  The script I made is useful for migrating to a new computer, for when you completely wipe and re-install everything on the machine, or for sharing settings between multiple machines.  For "upgrading to new versions" though it generally isn't an issue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up