INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Tricks, Techniques, or Suggestions to Remove Video "Jitter"  (Read 1966 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Overall I am really happy with using MC as my MCPC in Theater View for playing Audio, Video, even DVB-T TV however there is a slight regular jitter that is especially noticable when watching live Sport on TV or when a "ticker" is being displayed during the news.  I've tried all sorts of tweaks with the codecs, drivers, resolutions etc etc I can not remove it entirly.  I had some sucess with "reclock" that helped smoth out playback but it intoduced lipsync problems on Live TV that was even worse to live with.

Any Tricks, Techniques, or Suggestions welcome ;D as even the cheapest DVD player or DVB-T tuner does not have this problem!

Thanks
Nathan

Setup - PentD, 1GB, nVidia 7600GS outputing over DVI to a Yami v2600 then HDMI to a Hitachi Plasma.
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Any Tricks, Techniques, or Suggestions to Remove Video "Jitter"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:38:30 am »

Rule number 1: You're in PAL land like me where TV and film is typically 25fps. Therefore, you need to make sure you're monitor's refresh rate is set to multiples of 25 also - 50, 75 or 100. Anything else results in jitter and this is the cause of the problem 9 times out of 10.

Secondly, Reclock WILL NOT work with DVB-T or any kind of MPEG stream even with your refresh rate set as above. That's why you're having problems with that. This is a known issue.

Hope that helps.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:14:44 pm »

Thanks Ralf - done the whole setting to a multiple of 25fps (eg nVidia driver is set at 720p/50hz).
JRiver CEO Elect

jffcurt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:38:54 am »

I'm having the same problem. Very jittery watching TV.  However I'm in NTSC land.

I would however like to commend the people that develop this program.  I've been using it for YEARS.  And have always used it as my primary media player. Please don't ever stop working on this, I'd die.

Anyways back to the jitter.  It is kind of annoying and if anybody can give me some tips on resolving it I would really appreciate your help My setup is very similar to jmone's.  I'm using Nvidia 6800 and connecting it to my Hitachi Plasma, DVI to HDMI. My resolution is set at 1176 by 664  60hz.  I have the option to change it to 59hz which I just did but I don't think that's the problem.

BTW I use an ATI USB 2.0 tuner and Media Center 12 is the only program that works with it.  ATI is dragging their feet releasing Vista drivers.  Probably thinking we'd break down and buy new ones.  If I have to buy a new one it's not going to be theirs..... It would be nice if I could get it to work with Vista's Media Center though. Any ideas?  Nero's Home doesn't work with it either.  So hats off to you guys and thanks for all the work!! 
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up